Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #85

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa&susu View Post
Boogieman ask:
I own an Aspen. What did you have to do to it to make it towable?

Ours has a neutral button that disconnects the diff. DW leaves it in 2wheel dr (It must have 4wheel drive capabilites to do this )Hope I have helped
----

Mine has that same button on the 4WD panel. Just checked my owners manual and it gives me the instruction on how to switch to NEUTRAL. Woo hoo! I'm towable.

What eqpt did you have to buy to make this work with your MH?

Any issues for towing to look out for?

I think we've decided to sell the Sebring and use the Aspen as the toad.

BoogieMan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #86

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson2 View Post
2008 Honda Civic Auto.
I have towed a 2002 civic since new. It is close to two hundred thousand miles driving and another forty thousand towed. It is time to trade. Have you had any problems with the transmission? How long have you been towing it? How many miles towed?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #87
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
2010 Nissan Frontier, Automatic, 4X4.......using a Remco Disconnect
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
02 Jeep Liberty 4X4
Old 10-14-2011, 05:41 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We tow a 2007 Ford Explorer. Had the dealer install the neutral tow kit. $150 installed.

Sure do miss our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Rick
Did you tow the Jeep? How did you set it up? That's what we are going to use next year.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Push a button to put it in neutral, pull the key, and lock the door.

We have Grand Cherokee too, just curious.....does the odometer turn when in neutral towing?
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #91

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan View Post

I have a 1999 Chrysler Sebring convertible and I'd like to tow it 4 down if possible.

As you might have gathered, setting up for 4 down towing isn't cheap. As you probably gathered, unless you have one of the few manual Sebrings, for the automatic, you need to install a lube pump which isn't cheap. I've heard from other Sebring owners that instead of installing the lube pump, they just leave the engine running with the car in neutral while they tow and they haven't had any problem (the point of the lube pump is to lubrificate the transmission but running the engine with trans in neutral will do the same thing).

Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #92

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
As you might have gathered, setting up for 4 down towing isn't cheap. As you probably gathered, unless you have one of the few manual Sebrings, for the automatic, you need to install a lube pump which isn't cheap. I've heard from other Sebring owners that instead of installing the lube pump, they just leave the engine running with the car in neutral while they tow and they haven't had any problem (the point of the lube pump is to lubrificate the transmission but running the engine with trans in neutral will do the same thing).

Hope this helps.
---

Yeah, I keep going back and forth. I just discovered that my 2008 Chrysler Aspen is towable, but now I'm worried about the vehicle weight - that the weight will cause towing issues and/or legal issues with the coach being 22000 pounds already. :(

So tow the Sebring or the Aspen?

I'm like the donkey who dies of starvation standing between two equally juicy bales of hay.

Any opinions anyone?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #93

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What does the Aspen weigh? What is your GCWR? I assume your hitch is rated for 5,000 pounds. Does the coach weigh 22,000 ready for the road or is that the GVWR? If the latter and you have not loaded up and weighed the coach wyou don't know where you stand.

In an admittedly unlikely scenario if your coach's actual weight ready to roll with all of you on board weighs 21,000 lbs at the scale and your GCWR is 26,000 you could pull a 5,000 lb tow'd and be within all of your ratings.

The weight issue is more about load on the coach than it is about legal. I have yet to hear of a privately owned coach being required to be weighed. There are many overloaded coaches rolling down the road. This is not to minimize the risk of being overloaded, we try to stay well within our weight ratings when underway. I allow for 100 gal of fresh water and plan on empty holding tanks to stay under.

As a salesman once said to me when pushing an overweight coach, "you could keep the FW tank empty and save 800 lbs" I said, "but what do I use for water when I dry camp by choice or if forced to do that"
Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi, i am new at this, we have 06 six speed jeep wrangler and i am reading to put transfer case in neutral and stick in first or fourth gear, why not put stick in neutral??
Old 10-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
we tow a 2005 Chevy Cobalt, Put auto tranny in nutral, Key in acc and away we go
Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #96

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, hook it up, trans in neutral, ingition in acc., pull NO fuses and tow.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #97

VW Thing thing right side.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thing right front.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	14754   Click image for larger version

Name:	thing right side.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	14755  

Old 10-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #98

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trn the page View Post
Hi, i am new at this, we have 06 six speed jeep wrangler and i am reading to put transfer case in neutral and stick in first or fourth gear, why not put stick in neutral??
In large measure because that is what the Owner's Manual says to do! I think it is because you don't want the gears spinning freely since lubrication may be limited.

Tags
towing