Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
What vehicle are you towing 4 down?

Don't think I want a dolly or a trailer because of the logistics of dealing with them at the destination.

I have a 1999 Chrysler Sebring convertible and I'd like to tow it 4 down if possible.

But be that as it may, I'd like to hear about your toad and how you've done towing it behind your motorhomes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

Ford expedition with a drive shaft disconnect and it follows right behind.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 1999 Sebring Convertable 4 down.

Any questions? Let me know.

Pat
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp
We tow a 1999 Sebring Convertable 4 down.

Any questions? Let me know.

Pat
Oh yeah! Can u tell me what you had to do to prep the Sebring and what do you have to do as you tow it? What costs should I expect to do this? Thanks for your advice!!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I towed a Toyota Avalon 30,000 miles+ using a Demco Kar Kaddy SS dolly. Just a few months ago I sold the Avalon and the dolly thinking 4 down would be the way to go. I bought my first GM car in years, a 2011 Chev Malibu which I have now towed 4000 miles. I understand why the American auto manufacturers are in trouble. The design, engineering, craftsmanship and quality of the Malibu is equivalent to a Yugo compared to the quality of a Honda, Toyota, etc. For those that exalt the virtues of 4 down towing, most have never used a dolly. For me it was so much quicker and easier to use a dolly. Granted, you will have to disconnect and move the dolly if you have a back in space but if you have a pull through its a snap. Unhook two chains and two straps and you're ready to go. On several trips with others towing 4 down I have waited for them to get hooked up.

So to answer your question, I'm currently towing a 2011 Chev Malibu 6 cyl and would go back to the 2007 Avalon in a heartbeat. Tow whatever vehicle you like, I just happen to prefer a comfortable, dependable and well designed vehicle that has some value in five years.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim
I towed a Toyota Avalon 30,000 miles+ using a Demco Kar Kaddy SS dolly. Just a few months ago I sold the Avalon and the dolly thinking 4 down would be the way to go. I bought my first GM car in years, a 2011 Chev Malibu which I have now towed 4000 miles. I understand why the American auto manufacturers are in trouble. The design, engineering, craftsmanship and quality of the Malibu is equivalent to a Yugo compared to the quality of a Honda, Toyota, etc. For those that exalt the virtues of 4 down towing, most have never used a dolly. For me it was so much quicker and easier to use a dolly. Granted, you will have to disconnect and move the dolly if you have a back in space but if you have a pull through its a snap. Unhook two chains and two straps and you're ready to go. On several trips with others towing 4 down I have waited for them to get hooked up.

So to answer your question, I'm currently towing a 2011 Chev Malibu 6 cyl and would go back to the 2007 Avalon in a heartbeat. Tow whatever vehicle you like, I just happen to prefer a comfortable, dependable and well designed vehicle that has some value in five years.
I really appreciate your story. I'm not SET on 4 down, but in the short run I definitely want to use the Sebring that I already own. I'm selling my 2008 Aspen to absorb some of the monthly payment and to put more down on the loan for the coach. It's really too big and heavy to tow, too, thus I'm losing my comfortable SUV but I dont mind. I don't really need it if I'm touring in an RV
Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We tow a 2007 Ford Explorer. Had the dealer install the neutral tow kit. $150 installed.

Sure do miss our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO
We tow a 2007 Ford Explorer. Had the dealer install the neutral tow kit. $150 installed.

Sure do miss our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Rick
Hey is that all it took? $150? Nothing else?

Why doesn't. Everyone do that?
Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMan View Post
Hey is that all it took? $150? Nothing else?

Why doesn't. Everyone do that?
That's all it took for my four wheel drive model. Not sure I understand the question about why everyone doesn't do that. The requirements vary by make, model and year. Have you checked out Motorhome Magazine's Towing Guide? http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/Din...-Towing-Guide/

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Honda CR-V, 4 down. Takes me 3 min ( the 3 mins is to warm up the trans per Honda instructions ) to hook up and go and only weighs 3,200 lbs.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

That's all it took for my four wheel drive model. Not sure I understand the question about why everyone doesn't do that. The requirements vary by make, model and year. Have you checked out Motorhome Magazine's Towing Guide? http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/Din...-Towing-Guide/

Rick
So some models are built to be a toad ? I told you I was a newbie

I'll check out the list. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #12

We tow a 2004 Buick Rendezvous. We installed the Remco pump to lubricate the transmission. We installed Roadmaster brackets on the toad and use a Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain towbar. Setup is very easy. We felt that we would not know if the toad got a flat while we were towing so we purchased the TST tire pressure monitoring system for toad and the coach tires.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco
We tow a 2004 Buick Rendezvous. We installed the Remco pump to lubricate the transmission. We installed Roadmaster brackets on the toad and use a Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain towbar. Setup is very easy. We felt that we would not know if the toad got a flat while we were towing so we purchased the TST tire pressure monitoring system for toad and the coach tires.
If you don't mind me asking. What were the costs? Ballpark...
Old 10-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #14

2003 Suzuki XL7

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing