Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

what vehicles are best for flat towing ?

We have a 30' Rexhall American Clipper MH. We are new RVers and would like to flat tow a vehicle and have no clue what vehicle to start looking for. We are not wanting to buy new or expensive vehicle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go to Motohome magazine latest publication on towable vehicle's. this covers new models. You mostly have to search and ask sellers, which have little to no experience. Most Jeep products, most Ford products. Check Remco web site they have a reference starting point , but it is not totally accurate. Use the google search , right top corner there are many discussions and relative info for you to digest! Be sure of your towing capacity!!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
we pull our Chevy Equinox. Just put it in "N" and away you go. Great on gas too.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We tow a 2009 Saturn View which is a great vehicle for towing. You have to pull one fuse which can be controlled by a switch. Run engine for 15 minutes at the beginning of your day and you will be a happy camper.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

The towds we see most frequently are Jeeps, Honda CRV, Saturn, and older Malibus. Larger DPs tend to tow heavier vehicles, full size pickups, Explorers, etc. Last summer we started seeing several Smart cars. Remember to make certain your rv can safely tow the vehicle you have in mind. Enjoy.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We were researching the same to pull behind our 34' gasser with the 8.1 Chevy motor. Seems that almost all of the jeeps are flat towable, though considering their reliability ratings I'd personally opt for the Honda CRV.

I have 03, 04, 05, 07 and 11 Dinghy towing guides in .pdf format from Motorhome magazine. Not sure why the gaps in the years. I downloaded them from somewhere a while ago. Shoot me a pm if you'd like. I'd be happy to email then to you. Each one is less than 1mb in size.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #7

That would be great. Our email is: steelewelles@frontier.com
Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I tow a Jeep Liberty. It is light, has plenty of storage in the back (seats fold down flat), seats 4 or 5, and it is 4-wheel drive. The only downside is that it doesn't get the best mpg. Simply hook up, shift the transaxle into neutral and drive away. Probably one of the most easy vehicles to tow.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

Hello,

I tow a Jeep as well, and prefer to use something not imported, its the 4-door Wrangler Unlimited version, and I average 18.5mpg city and 21mpg highway, it depends on what you want to do with your toad. I ghost town hunt and geocache and just enjoy desert driving, if you're not into that, then I would get something a bit more sedate. I dont understand about a Jeep being unreliable, I have over 85k miles on mine and have never had any repairs, just customary service.

Best Regards
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I tow a Honda Odyssey ...in process of setting up my 05 Odyssey for towing after totaling the 2000 model. We like all the enclosed cargo space for my recumbent cycles and the seats that fold into the floor so we can take the cycles out and still have seats for grandkids. Neither year model requires any fuse pulling. Just run the engine and shift the granny through all forward gears stopping in N while idling, and it is good for eight hours.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #11

we pull a subaru baja. Just hookup and go ; nothing else , of course its a stick shift.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Toadies

I think the nicest small toad I ever towed was a Geo (Suzuki/Chevy) Tracker. It weighed about 2100 lbs and got 30 mpg. It was rugged enough to go down dirt trails and in snow. It had a sturdy front for the tow gear and best of all they are cheap. Mine was a manual 4WD. I don't know if towing an auto version is difficult or not. You can buy a nice used one under $5000 and you don't beat up your "nice" car with road debris.

I tow a Jeep Wrangler now and I love it but it is heavy (4500lbs) and the mileage isn't very good.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susieq49 View Post
We have a 30' Rexhall American Clipper MH. We are new RVers and would like to flat tow a vehicle and have no clue what vehicle to start looking for. We are not wanting to buy new or expensive vehicle.
I am pulling an '08 Ford Ranger w/5speed manual transmission. The Ford owners manual (usually found in the glove compartment) even references 'towed' application. It is also 4WD which brings its weight up to about 4000lbs. which may be an issue in your case. I wanted a stripped down sand rail; the dw just laughed...
Old 04-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly
I tow a Jeep Liberty. It is light, has plenty of storage in the back (seats fold down flat), seats 4 or 5, and it is 4-wheel drive. The only downside is that it doesn't get the best mpg. Simply hook up, shift the transaxle into neutral and drive away. Probably one of the most easy vehicles to tow.
x2 on the Liberty. Ours is a 2012 and tow's easily. Our DP does not even feel it back there.

Mike

2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing