Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
Originally Posted by LandN View Post
Got a quote today for getting our 2003 Lexus ready to tow 4-flat. It needs a Remco transmission lube pump (about $1300 + labor). Blue Ox doesn't make a base plate for the vehicle, but RoadMaster does, for just under $500. A RoadMaster 10k tow bar adds $1,100. (A 6k bar would be about $350 less.) An Air Force One braking system comes up about $1,200 + labor. Factor in shipping, labor, and state sales tax at 8.25% and we're looking at just over $5,700. Am just curious if that's around what most folks pay if they have a vehicle that's not towable without a lube pump or a driveshaft disconnect or some other special treatment. I realize there are some cost choices that could be made - a different braking system, perhaps, or going with a 6k tow bar - or even some of it DIY. (I am absolutely sure, though, that for me DIY would be an unmitigated disaster!) At any rate, is the $4k-$5k range about what it often costs to get a toad set up? Thanks! Larry
I am going through this process for my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Here's where I am so far:

1) Blue Ox Alpha tow bar and baseplate bought from Amazon Prime so shipping was $0 and I received them in 2 business days - $893
2) Blue Ox lighting kit - $49 3) BrakeBuddy Vantage Select found on Craigslist.
3 years old used 3 times - $600 to pick up this weekend

I had $750 in Amazon gift cards so net cost to me has been about $220 so far with grand total being $820 if I can get the BrakeBuddy at the listed price. $1570 if you subtract the Amazon gift cards I had.

I think Camping World has a special going on for $1400 for tow bar and baseplate plus installation. Add another $900-$1300 for a braking system.

_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blue OX baseplate and Alpha Towbar with Blue OX ready brake was 1500.00 installed for our 2006 Saturn Vue last spring. Bought all the parts new on Ebay...No pumps or other stuff required...

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #17
Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
There are many choices and some very good suggestions. The SMI or M&G brake system is ideal for a coach with air brakes. Very simple hook up, reliable, no box to move in and out or setup, total proportional braking AND doesnot use toad brakes when using your Exhaust brake down long hills. (don't want your car brakes doing the all the work like many surge types).
08 Intrigue
2014 Ford Edge
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #18
I spend just under $3000.00 for a completely new set up, including labor.
Windigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #19
I had RAV4 that I loved, but was cost prohibitive to set up for flat towing. It was more cost effective to buy a tow dolly and use it with the intention of eventually purchasing a flat towable car. Kept the dolly for six years, purchased a 2013 CRV EXL AWD that I plan to keep for many years. Everything set up for towing cost $2100 at CW before their $39 install special. Tow bar, base plate, lights, breakaway switch and charge line. Sold the dolly to pay for RVi2 brake. My point is that before I sunk that much money in a 11 year old car, I would seriously consider purchasing a dolly or buying a flat towable car that you will be happy with many years. By the, after the initial investment, the only dollars involved in another flat towable vehicle is the base plate and lights. You already have the tow bar and brake system.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #20
We just priced out new towing equipment for our 2004Jeep wrangler. With the exception of the braking system everything was destroyed when we were hit from being while traveling down I-57 on our way to Florida.

Here are the current prices from Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924

If you're not in a hurry most of these items go on sale. We paid $895 for the braking system when it was on sale last April.

1. Roadmaster Sterling Tow bar $965.00
2. Roadmaster XL baseplates $399.00
3. Roadmaster Safety Cables $54.95
4. Roadmaster 9060 Braking system $1095.00
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
I just purchased a brand new 8k lbs. Ready Brute Elite aluminum tow bar with built in surge brake. Cost with bulb and socket kit for the towed, unbiblical cord with plugs, and breakaway cable was $1,200. The beauty of the system is that even if you are only minimally mechanically oriented, you can install this system yourself. Honestly, after hearing so many horror stories about Camping World service departments, I would trust myself to do a better job...
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2006 Monaco Knight 38 PDQ
Ready Brute Elite-2008 Hummer H3
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #22
Thor Owners Club
Anyone have experience with the RVi brake system?
2013 Thor ACE 29.22013 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
acerv47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
That is a lot of money to throw in an 11 year old toad. If you buy that pump and baseplate for a car that old, you will likely lose all the $ on those parts.

How about a newer better suited to towing car? Get the Ready Brake Elite brake and tow bar setup for much less.

Good Luck
I agree ... have you considered getting a flatbed trailer, and just towing it that way? We got our flatbed trailer for about $2000 (trailer, spare tire, tie downs, etc) and can tow anything we want - up to the towing capacity of our motorhome. We went with a steel, wood topped trailer and put the price difference between that and an aluminum trailer into the fuel tank of the RV. If we get a new car we just have to be sure it weighs the same or less than our current VW Tiguan and we're off.

Looking at this brochure for a 2005 Diplomat http://www.monacocoach.com/staticfil...05Diplomat.pdf it appears you have 10,000 lb towing capacity, so you shouldn't have any problem towing a steel or aluminum trailer ... plus you'll be able to backup when connected to the RV!
2005 National Sea Breeze 1311
2015 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (trailered)
Follow us online http://OurRVJourney.com
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
The Blue Ox base plate for the Fiat Abarth was about $700 or so on sale and no shipping costs. No one else makes (or made them) for the Abarth. Part of the reason we got the Abarth was because it can be towed 4 down with no Remco needed.
The Blue Ox Aventa LX we got from CraigsList. Looked it over real well before we bought it just to make sure it was in good shape. Looks like it had been used maybe 3 times. Cost us $150.
We cannot use the M&G system, not enough room according to them. We will go with the Air Force One. Have not bought it yet so cannot give the price yet for it.
A few other things still to get and I think we might hit $1500 - $2500.
Thom will install everything so no worries on labor that way.

Oh, one more thing to buy before we get rid of the 20ft trailer that we have been using and that is a lift for the Harley. That will probably be $2500 - $4000 and that will need to be installed by someone else so labor will need to be added to that for us.

Side note for the Fiat Abarth, when you buy a new one you get a free track day. Ours was up at Laguna Seca up in Salinas, CA. Thom got taught how to drive it round the track and did time trials and head to head stuff. Fun full day with professional instructors. We did learn that the car will go about 85 mph in 3rd gear ...... that was on a track so allowed to go that fast ... he had fun and I spent the day watching him and being there and got taken on some of the runs with the professional drivers.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #25
New Blue Ox base plate on Ebay $305 delivered, wiring with 6 diodes, almost new Blue Ox Aveta II LX(with ball) $300 delivered. Installed everything in one day with help from a friend, we soldered all wiring. $700 total. I have my towbar recertified by Blue Ox every other year at a Rally. This is my third towbar and fourth toad in nineteen years. No problems

American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote