Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #1

Whats it worth?

I have a 2001Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Perfect condition with only 25k miles. Hard top with secound soft top. Original tires. Set up to tow with Blue Ox. White with beige. Great Jeep. Just need to know what price range to offer. Oh one very small paint chip on left front fender. Thanks for your help.
seawalker57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
craigslist: boone classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Check on here and some of your cities near you to see what people are asking for their Jeeps.

Looks like there are about 8 2001 Jeeps for sale in Boone.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalker57 View Post
I have a 2001Jeep Wrangler Sahara. Perfect condition with only 25k miles. Hard top with secound soft top. Original tires. Set up to tow with Blue Ox. White with beige. Great Jeep. Just need to know what price range to offer. Oh one very small paint chip on left front fender. Thanks for your help.

Make sure you ask how many miles it's been towed. The miles on the odometer aren't all the miles on the unit if it's been towed. Our 04 Jeep Wrangler only shows 35,000 miles on the odometer. However it's been towed another 75,000+ miles. That makes a total of 110,000+ miles which is a far cry from what shows on the odometer.

The reason I say this is that many of the systems are still working even though the miles aren't racking up. There will be wear on the steering components, brakes, and suspension components like the shocks and springs. Also many of the maintenance items like changing the transmission fliud (if it's an automatic) changing differential fluids & brake pads & shoes are primarily mileage related. If the previous owner hasn't looked at the manual to have these services performed at the time interval it's likely they've never been done.

Also check the tires closely. At that age they like to crack on the sidewalls close to the rims. I replaced a 10 year old set on a pickup a couple years ago that had excellent tread but had big cracks in the sidewalls by the rims.

Once you find the actual mileage you can get a ball park value from Edmunds: Appraise a Used Car at Edmunds.com

I'd do 2 apprasials. One for the mileage showing on the odometer, and a second adding in the additional miles it's been towed. Then make an offer about midway between the 2. Don't forget to factor in the cost of the maintenance items that need to be performed.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hikerdogs....I believe he is selling his Jeep. Not buying one.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep prices vary a lot by area. Here in SoCal the sell for more than many other places. You have a very desirable jeep so it should go for a good price.

Do you know which rear axle and gear ratios? Being a Sahara there is a good chance it's a Dana 44 with 3:73 gearing. Much more desirable than the more common Dana 35 with 3:07 gearing. Do a google and you will find pictures to help identify what axle you have.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

I guess when I saw "What price range to offer" I thought he was buying. I just read through some previous posts and see he was towing the Jeep.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Keep prices vary a lot by area. Here in SoCal the sell for more than many other places. You have a very desirable jeep so it should go for a good price.

Do you know which rear axle and gear ratios? Being a Sahara there is a good chance it's a Dana 44 with 3:73 gearing. Much more desirable than the more common Dana 35 with 3:07 gearing. Do a google and you will find pictures to help identify what axle you have.
Not sure which rear axle but will look tonight. Is the value that much differant? Thanks for all your help.
seawalker57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #8

The axle ratio makes a big difference if the new owner wants to use it off road. The 3:07 gets better mileage on the road, but the 3:73 is a better torque multiplier for steep trails and beginner rock climbing.

Ours is a 3:73 and there have been many times climbing the steep trails I wished it was a 4:11 locker. I can't count the number of times the engine was running too slow in high range, and almost screaming in low range.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
If your rear axle has a steel plug vs a rubber plug, it is a 44, which is a lot better.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote