Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #15
We use a Blue Ox Patriot brake system. It works very well for us. We tow an 09 Ford Explorer. Takes about 3 minutes to install each time and about a minute to remove.

OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #16
Another Blue Ox Patriot. Works.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #17
No one has mentioned M&G Engineering. It's a little more complicated to install but oooh so nice to hook up and use. It's completely proportional to the RV's braking, hooks up with 1 air hose. Nothing to put in the tow vehicle each time you want to tow, nothing to block against the seat or push on the brake pedal. IMHO it's the best on the market. No I have nothing to do with the company. Just a RVer like the rest of you but wanted the best system for stopping the car.
lshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Personally, my requirements when I first thought about getting a supplemental braking system, were three fold.

First, i wanted something that I didn't have to hook or unhook whenever i wanted to tow. Second, I wanted something that utilized the toad's vacuum assisted braking system. And third, I wanted something that I, while driving the mh and pulling the toad, had total control of the toad's braking system.

After much deliberation and research on my part, I finally settled on the US Gear Unified Braking System (UBS). Granted, this system was a little more expensive and required more initial installation procedures. However, it was the only system that met all of my criteria.

An additional plus, was that my mh was pre-wired (as are all Freightliner, Roadmaster, Workhorse, and Winnabago chassis) at the factory for this system. All wires (including 12vdc and lights) was provided in a wiring harness that terminated under the mh's dash board and connected to the 7-pin connecter at the rear of the coach.

I have installed this same unit in three different toads and two different motor homes. It fully fulfills all braking requirements for the toad and is invisible. It is totally proportional, adjustable and requires absolutely NO additional connection of ANY type between the mh and toad.

Ok, I'm done and will get off the soap box now.

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just Installed the SMI Air Force 1 brake system in my 2010 Chevy Colorado. Install was simple and did it myself. So far I'm very pleased with it. Purchased it from PPL at a great price too.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 AM   #20
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best.. There is no best.. I will explain.

The worst: Boxes that go in the driver's seat and push the pedal.

(This is diferent from the one the prior owner had on his jeep)

There reason there is no "Best" is because there are many that are too close to call.

For example.. Since once I get the motor fixed in this beast I will be towing at least twice a month,, I will go with the Ready Brake, this is a surge brake system.

If I parked the motor home for the winter in the snowy and well salted north I'd not be so keen on the ready brake, the cable can rust and size and cause issues with the towed brakes NOT releasing.

US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator gives the motor home driver FULL control over the towed brakes, you can adjust the "Gain" (Ratio of towed brakes to motor home brakes, how hard the towed brakes are applied) if you set it to zero you disable the towed brakes, you can engage the towed brakes without touching the motor home pedal if you wish (Did that one time). This is MORE control than a semi driver has over his trailer brakes (he can not adjust gain from the driver's seat).

There are many other good systems.. Air Force One, Invisi brake, Stay and Play, many more too many to list, all are darn good. If it fits on your towed and your motor home has air brakes (sounds like it does) the M&G system is fantastic.

Most all of these are nearly invisible to a driver of the car, with the eception of the M&G (Which is 100% invisible to the driver) and the system the Prior Owner had, all you see is a small bracket on the brake pedal.

As for the pedal pusher he had in his jeep: I give that one a mid rating,, I would suggest you consider it since you are half set up for it already.

The box in the driver's seat that pushes the pedal.. Those are the WORST systems.. I have read of mistakes, which can damage the towed's brakes, And I have read of folks who, for a short trip, admit they said "Oh, I'll just forget it" You have this big device that has to be INSTALLED every time you tow (I know the ad says no installation, it lies, many installations is accurate) and stow when driving the towed.

HOWEVER, if you have a stable of towed cars.. Then this one system can be used in all of 'em so even it has an advantage.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

brake, tow