Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

What's the best tow car brake system

We just bought a 2006 Winnebago Journey, and need to set up a 2009 CR-V to tow. I just dont know which system to buy. The previous owner had it set up for the Roadmaster air activated brake on his Jeep that mounted on the floor with a cylinder type plunger to the brake peddle. I'm just really confused. What is the consensus of aplications being used today. The Hitch outfit near home is steering me to the Brake Buddy system.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The consensus is that there is no consensus. Do you want something you have to install each time you tow? Or do you want something permanently installed in the toad that just needs a cable or hose hooked up?

Personally, I'm a big fan of the air activated proportional system like your previous owner used. I just have the SMI version instead of the Roadmaster.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
The consensus is that there is no consensus. Do you want something you have to install each time you tow? Or do you want something permanently installed in the toad that just needs a cable or hose hooked up?

Personally, I'm a big fan of the air activated proportional system like your previous owner used. I just have the SMI version instead of the Roadmaster.
And I use the Blue Ox Patriot because it can be installed easy and removed to use in another vehicle if you wish. Good product, works as advertised and like other Blue Ox products, they stand behind it.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Flyfshr,
Like previously posted the system you purchase must meet your specific vehicle and personal needs. I use Blue Ox tow bar and base plate that is correct for the weight of my vehicle. I do not want to install/uninstall a brake system every time so I went with USGEAR for the brake system. Go to Unified Tow Brake and read about it. Also, I do not want to mess with invading the coach air system. One umbilical from the coach to the toad takes care of lights, brakes and charging the toad battery. Simple is hat I need.

What all this and the other posts means is determine what you personally need. That will narrow the choices. After that, have the system demonstrated and determine if the tasks are okay for you. The major suppliers have been in business for years. All the systems work. The system must work for you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
This is a very common subject here and on other rv forums. Unfortunately, it's much like which is better....Ford or Chevy. You won't find an overall winner, or even close to it.

Toad brake systems come in different varieties :

Those that are a box that you put in the front floor board (like a Brake Buddy.

Then there are others that are permanently mounted that require either an electrical hookup or an air hookup. Most of those also require an additional cable or air hose that needs connection between the mh and toad...but not all. Some, that are once installed, require no other connection or attention from you.

The last type is a mechanical system that is part of the tow bar (Ready Brute is one). These are actually "surge" brakes and for the most part work very well.

You need to determine which type you think you will prefer. Your best bet is to do a search here and do some research on the different types.

Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The best answer I can give is the one that works when it is needed. Most will do just that. We use Brake Buddy because of the ease of use and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. Is it the best system, it does work but not sure it is the best. Like picking a MH it is a personal choice. I think most brands are good.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #7

I gotta question. Why do you all prefer to flat tow over using a trailer? Right now our local transportation is by motorcycle to flat towing isn't even on the table but I've only towed cars on trailers. Never flat.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #8

We tow a 2009 CRV and like our RVIBRAKE2. Easy to set up and lightweight.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToolmaker View Post
I gotta question. Why do you all prefer to flat tow over using a trailer? Right now our local transportation is by motorcycle to flat towing isn't even on the table but I've only towed cars on trailers. Never flat.
The main issue with a trailer is where to store it when its not in use.
There's also the issue of trailer tongue weight exceeding the RV's limit, plus the trailer's weight plus the car's might exceed the towing ability of the RV.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #10

Why is it that some people want such a complicated system when they can go with a Blue-Ox base plate, a Ready Brute Elite tow bar/brake system and a Towmate wireless light bar. Just remember that those complicated/ sophisticated systems (or any System) are not going to malfunction when parked in your driveway. They will fail while on a trip. With that being said most will not be able to repair without professional help, and if they know you are traveling you will must likely pay dearly. A simple system is less likely to fail and if it does much easier to repair.
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #11

Well thanks to all for the great information. One problem is that at this point, I just don't know what I will like best. I do like the "keep it simple" method though. Again...many thanks to all. Happy Camping!!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfshr View Post
Well thanks to all for the great information. One problem is that at this point, I just don't know what I will like best. I do like the "keep it simple" method though. Again...many thanks to all. Happy Camping!!
This is a subjective topic, but you should ask yourself these questions.
1. Do I want a fairly heavy box to install on my seat each time I hook up for towing, or a permanently installed system?

2-2. Since every car has vacuum assisted brakes, do I want a system which provides a vacuum source on the car, or do I want the brake system to push extra hard to overcome the lack of power assist.
2-b. If I want the system to supply vacuum, do I want a separate vacuum pump (electric), or want the vacuum to be generated by air pressure from the coach?

3-a. Do I want a proportional system which applies the toad brakes harder as the coach brakes are applied harder?
3-b. Or do I want a system with a inertia senor to sense that the coach is stopping and then apply the toad brakes.

There are many ways to solve the aux brake need, the problem is which solution is right for you.

Air Force One is my preference, and it is simple enough to self install.

Regards,
Dan
Old 02-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
There's as many answers as there are brands of brake controllers out there!

I highly recommend the ReadyBrake. It's simple, effective, and low cost!

I have the ReadyBrute towbars with the built-in ReadyBrake.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
There's as many answers as there are brands of brake controllers out there!

I highly recommend the ReadyBrake. It's simple, effective, and low cost!

I have the ReadyBrute towbars with the built-in ReadyBrake.
X2! If you have a vehicle 5000lbs or under, Ready Brake is the simplest way.
1.5 years fulltime,moving frequently, not a problem. NOTHING to hook up in car.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, tow