Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV site classifieds, such as here on IRV2, and Craig's list can be your friends. Keep an eye out and you'll be able to pick up a toad already set up or the equipment needed to set on up for substantially less than starting from scratch. As already suggested, being able to do your own installs will save a bunch too.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy13019 View Post
We have been discussing the pro's of towing a vehicle, as of now we just rent or drive the rv. We watched and read alot on towing and it comes down to it looks like it would be very expensive to get all we need to tow a vehicle. We would also have to buy a jeep or similar for a toad as our vehicles we own are not going to work. I guess what I am asking (besides the initial cost) are the people towing cars retired people or full timers or did you slowly aquire all the stuff (vehicle first)and go from there? Thank you
Still working and not wealthy. Bought a 2009 2 door Wrangler with soft top with less than 23K miles in November. Bought Roadmaster Falcon II and EvenBrake on EBay for less than $1200. I like the Jeep so much that I drive it daily to work. Keep looking, you will find something that works for you.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #17

We just got a car set up for towing and plan to make our first towing trip this coming weekend.
Neither of our previous cars were both towable or suitable as a single vehicle, so we've bitten the bullet and decided to sell them both, and get a new towable vehicle. Our choice to buy new. Ford has several models towable as automatic transmission, simply turn on, put in neutral, and turn off. We got a Ford C-Max Energi hybrid.
For the tow equipment, you'll hear prices anywhere from $50 to $4000+, all depending on whether you're fortunate to find it all used on ebay/craigslist, do your own installing, buy products through installer. While I'm somewhat capable, I didn't want to mess with removing front fascia, running wiring and installing bulbs in existing light houseings, etc. Decided to go with a local experienced installer, I think our total cost was under $3000. Still hoping we recoup the new vehicle cost from selling the two older ones. Good luck, be sure you understand the details of install before you take that task on. Sometimes there's good reason to pay folks a fair amount to do what they have the experience and tools for.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:30 AM   #18

Just retired, got a new motorhome and after driving it home 2700 miles I am happy that I am setting up my Jeep JK. [would have been great to have a toad for the trip]

Instead of buying a baseplate for my jeep I upgraded the bumper Rockhard ind. that has clevises you can add on for all the major tow bars 575 for the new bumper instead of 350 for baseplate. 69 for blue ox clevis
NSA readybrute tow bar with ready brake integrated and blue ox attachment 1200
ready stop breakaway kit 110
trailermate taillight wiring kit 75
totals...2029 plus tax installed all myself,,,,haven't towed the toad yet but soon
Old 03-27-2016, 01:08 AM   #19

We had a flat tow setup for our 2007 Tahoe. It was about $3k. When it was totaled by a hit and run driver we bought a 2015 Suburban and had it set up for towing. Since some of the components were moved it cost about $1600.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Bought a used Suzuki Vitara for 3400. Camping world put base plates on for 850.00. RVI brake system for 1150. Used all terrain tow bar with all the cables, etc., 300.00. Wireless tow lights for 120.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #21

What's the cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy13019 View Post
We have been discussing the pro's of towing a vehicle, as of now we just rent or drive the rv. We watched and read alot on towing and it comes down to it looks like it would be very expensive to get all we need to tow a vehicle. We would also have to buy a jeep or similar for a toad as our vehicles we own are not going to work. I guess what I am asking (besides the initial cost) are the people towing cars retired people or full timers or did you slowly aquire all the stuff (vehicle first)and go from there? Thank you

Part time RVer and full time worker on my second tow bar. As for the cost it will be up to you and the equipment you want and how much you can do.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:22 AM   #22
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your cost will be inversely proportional to your ability to do the work, or buy used vs new.

I prefer flat tow over dolly, Its a lot easier to hook up / unhook.

A dolly is probably the most versatile and least expensive. Instead of renting a car at your location, maybe consider renting a dolly and tow your car. This way you could see if it fits your life style.

I'm a DIYer, so my costs are significantly less than someone who needs to hire someone. I also purchase used equipment. Keep your eyes open and you can get some good deals.. i.e.

My 2001 Civic I got for nothing, I did a lot of mechanical repairs to it, Its in great mechanical (and physical) shape, should easily last another 100k miles. My daughter needed a car, so she got the Civic. She also got the straight tow bar and base plate still installed on the civic. I have about $2000 in the Civic, but its like new.

We got spoiled flat towing, so to replace the Civic, I just bought a 2003 Saturn Vue project. Excellent physical shape, Someone swapped the engine / tranny and couldn't get it running. I got it running great and am now looking for a base plate. (I'll have about $1500 in it after I get the base plate)

I also bought a used (almost new) Blue Ox collapsible tow bar, ($175) We towed the Civic with a straight "A" non-collapsable, so using the collapsible tow bar will make hookup a little faster, easier, and safer.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote