Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #1

I am currently towing a 2002 Saturn L-200 with no braking system. I have had no problems. We are now considering trading (or selling)this car and purchasing a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The weight of the Outlook is just under 5000 pounds. At what weight do I need to consider adding the additional braking system?

Thanks as always for the input!

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #2

I am currently towing a 2002 Saturn L-200 with no braking system. I have had no problems. We are now considering trading (or selling)this car and purchasing a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The weight of the Outlook is just under 5000 pounds. At what weight do I need to consider adding the additional braking system?

Thanks as always for the input!

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #3

I would consider brakes essential on anything over 1500lbs.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #4

I'm a Gator fan so discount this advice as you feel appropriate. However...

It is my understanding that many states including Georgia have a fairly low threshhold for requiring supplemental braking systems on "toads." For example, Trailer Life shows a gross vehicle weight for a towed "trailer" requiring brakes to be 3000 pounds in FL, but only 1500 in GA. I don't know for sure if the same limits apply to toads, but logic indicates that they should.

Your former vehicle probably was over the "legal" limit in many states, and I feel sure the Outlook is well over.

By way of true confessions, I towed a 1991 Jeep Wrangler for many years without supplemental brakes, but I just traded motorhomes and Jeeps and added the brakes because the 2007 Jeeps are somewhat heavier.

I hope this helps somewhat.

jpdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
It seems to me that there are several issues - legal, load limits, and responsibility.

Legally, there seems to be alot of interpretations of what loads need supplemental braking. I'll let others comment on that.

There is a combined load limit for your vehicle. That takes into account the braking capability of your motorhome. Don't exceed them.

From a responsibility standpoint, if your car breaks loose and causes an accident, how much value would you put on that braking system? There is one hardened pin that keeps your tow bar on your motorhome. If that fails, you are dependent on your safety chains and that would let the car whip around. I have always used a brake in the car, and it gives me a good feeling that I can stop the car even if it breaks loose.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 05-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. What system would you guys recomend? Let me add that the majority of my trips will be in and around the state of Georgia with the family. There will be no real long distance trips except for a week here and there, the rest of our trips will be limited to weekends. My reason for pointing this out is I don't want to spent a huge amount of money for "the best system money can buy". I would like something that is reliable and reasonably priced.

Thanks

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 05-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Jpdunc is right...many states require a supplemental brake system. However, the major issue for me is safety.
I found that every system has a loyal following...that said, I bought the Tow-V-Aire, from the mfg. in Florida. I have been happy with the unit. I had it installed, but find it easy to put in and out of the toad.
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Your Horizon has air brakes, so a Roadmaster Brakemaster system is relatively inexpensive and easy to install. Your chassis probably has a tap on the rear brakes to add the Brakemaster's air line and putting the car portion in is straight forward if you have basic mechanical skills. That what I use on my Acadia, which is essentially a twin of the Outlook.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I too can vouch for a Brake Master as I have used our in three vehicles over five years. I can now put it in the Silverado or the Vue.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaDawgFan:
Thanks for the input. What system would you guys recommend? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would recommend the SMI "Air Force One" auxiliary brake system. It works excellently and has been very well received by owners who have purchased the system.

The Air Force One is available from our full time sponsor, RVUpgrades.com.

I personally know the developers and I see them frequently at the RV Shows and Rallies that I attend. They are very much on their game.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I will put in a word for the Brake Buddy unit. I have used one for years and several different vehicles. It is easy to transfer from one vehicle to another as the main unit is powered by your toad vehicles cigarette lighter outlet.

The main reason for having the toad braking is for those emergency stops and the BB is great for that.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #12

LA Gulf Coast Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaDawgFan:

Thanks as always for the input! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You need to add the brake system BEFORE you have a wreck.

My brakes have saved my bacon on several occasions when thoughtless drivers have cut in front of me and then hit their brakes.
Walt
Old 05-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We got a Brake Buddy because our toad weighs 4300 pounds. I just thought that the BB would give me extra braking power pulling that much weight.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:42 AM   #14

As soon as you start towing because the first time you have an accident towing without any additonal braking some attorney is going to decide that you could have stopped if you had addtional braking. Lost pants at the cleaners are worth $65,000,000, according to one lawsuit.