Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

When to do toad setup

We are in our first year of towing a toad and have a question. We set up the toad in the morning and tow until we get to camp, usually about 6-7 hours. Our question is: If we stop for lunch(1-1.25 hours) at a restaurant do we need to do the morning setup again? We do turn the toad off and lock it. We have not exceeded the days driving time for the initial setup.

Thanks

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
RVM141

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Our question is: If we stop for lunch(1-1.25 hours) at a restaurant do we need to do the morning setup again? We do turn the toad off and lock it.
Thanks
Are you towing with the toad engine running?

Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #3

Our max drive time is about six hours including a 45 min to hour lunch break. We do not run the CRV through its routine when we take,the break.
I believe Honda recommends doing the full routine if rowing eight hours or more.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I run mine a few minutes during at least one stop during the day. Your car owners manual should give you some instructions for flat towing.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

So much depends on what you are towing.

But is general, you may be able to buy a key that will turn the ignition switch and unlock the steering wheel but not start the toad, and leave it in the ignition. You may be able to lock the toad doors with another key. Or you may be able to remove the key after "running it through the gears" by pressing a hidden button. So much depends on the actual toad. Like Selah said, we don't run our Honda CRV through the gears for lunch break either.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We are in our first year of towing a toad and have a question. We set up the toad in the morning and tow until we get to camp, usually about 6-7 hours. Our question is: If we stop for lunch(1-1.25 hours) at a restaurant do we need to do the morning setup again? We do turn the toad off and lock it. We have not exceeded the days driving time for the initial setup.

Thanks
I never, never, never lock my tow car while hitched up. Did it one time and forgot to install the key when I returned to the motorhome. I was lucky. When I started out and made a sharp turn, the window was down on the motorhome and I heard the tires on the towed scrubbing. If I had to take the keys out, I would put them on top of the motorhome keys to remind me to unlock the steering on the toad.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #7

Thank you Paul, you answered my question. And yes, Honda says you can go 8 hours before having to go through the process again.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 08-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks
Sue46
That depends on the toad you're towing and the setup, (and towing), procedure recommended by the manufacturer of the vehicle you're towing.

We don't touch our toad between the time we leave and when we reach our destination, (no matter how many stops we make in between)... unless we unhook and use the toad somewhere along the line.

In fact we have sometimes driven 3-4 days, stopping every night, without ever touching our toad.

Mel
'96 Safari, '07 Saturn ION toad
Old 08-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We're towing a 2012 Jeep Liberty - so we don't have any requirements to start the vehicle over the course of a travel day. We have however been forcing ourselves to get in the habit of doing a complete "complete walk around" of the coach and the toad any time we stop. As part of my "walk around" - I check all the toad hookup connections, examine any tie downs on toad (we regularly carry a couple of kayaks), check the bikes on the bike rack, etc. If we've been rolling and it's just a brief stop - I grab the laser thermometer and check the temps of tires and hubs.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Thanks. We are not new rvers just new to towing a toad and having a MH.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 08-07-2016, 02:05 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks. We are not new rvers just new to towing a toad and having a MH.
I am still curious, are you towing with the Toad motor running?
Old 08-07-2016, 02:22 AM   #12

Why would I have the toad running? I never heard of anyone doing that.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 08-07-2016, 05:12 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I tow our automatic transmission Civic, I would usually do the pre-tow sequence whenever I stopped.

While the gas is pumping into the MH, I'd start the Civic engine, let it idle while I check the tires, chains and hitch. I'd then shift it through each gear, with the final shift from "D" to "N". It doesn't hurt anything and re lubes the transmission.

My Vue doesn't require anything, so the pre-tow was just inspect the tires, chains, and hitch.

Sue, Some people tow an automatic that normally can't be towed. In order to do this, they leave the engine running while towing to supply lubrication to the transmission.

Tags
toad