Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
When Will I Learn????

Well we finally got a new to us TOAD and started to get it all setup for TOAD'ing. And since it is a 2004 Exploder 4x4, I had to swallow hard and fork over $249 for the Neutral Tow Kit (Instructions & a $1.95 LED Light). Had to wait for two weeks for it to be shipped to the hinterlands of the Olympic Peninsula. It finally came in so I scheduled an appointment to get it installed. Had it installed and like a country bumkin, paid another $60 to have it installed. And like a dummy didn't "Test It" at the Ford Stealership, just motored on home assuming it was good to Toad. Spin forward a couple of weeks after the Roadmaster stuff was installed (by a Good RV Co.) so I thought, Gee I probably should test that Neutral Tow Thingie. Well, after the 4th try with that $1.95 LED not winking at me like it should, I decided to put the Stealership on the hot seat. Arrived at the Ford Stealership, 'Splained what WASN'T happening and that idiot service writer sez, "well it's obivious you don't have it hooked up to the motorhome." So in a very polite manner, I abruptly 'Splained to him, the Neutral Tow System was completely apart with the Motorhome Light & Socket taillight setup. Really had to get huffy with him and he finally agreed to hook it up to his diagnostic machine (Computer). About 20 minutes later he is waving my keys at me. So I went over and asked what was the problem so which he said, "It Was Not Enabled." So again in a very polite manner I informed him that my working career started out as a computer programmer all the way back to the late 1950's so I do know how EPROM Programming works, you type in all the instructions and then it asks you, Do You Want To Enable what you entered to which you reply in the affirmative which his idiot Tech Probably forgot to do. Doesn't any of these Young & Dumbs take any pride in their workmanship???

1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040
& 2007 Ford Sports Trac
& 2004 Ford Exploder TOAD's
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"First monkey out of the barrel" effect.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
Doesn't any of these Young & Dumbs take any pride in their workmanship???
Those days are long gone. Too many places and employees want to do as little as possible and as fast as possible for the most $$$. They don't care about "pride in their workmanship."
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
The lack of pride in workmanship is the employer's and bean counter's fault. They are only after the $$$, nothing more.

But does the doohicky work properly now?
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As much money as we put into to the RV / toad industry you would think that these sales and service places would be better informed and capable. Perhaps they need a dose of American Exceptionalism. As in - "stealership - you just let me down - wasted my time - which is money - and I'm putting you on my exceptions list - and will not be back. I have choices and I choose only to deal with exceptional businesses."

If others are right - there aren't any but I'm still choosing to believe there are.
Steve and Annie
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pride in Workmanship? HA-HA Not in these times my friend. About five years ago while living in TEXAS my then boyfriend and I were locking up the locksmith shop to go home. One of the employees came over to us and said to the boyfriend "say if you would give me a raise I would do a better job for you and even increase customers" AND as you can guess... I looked at the boyfriend and said "did I just this dude correctly" and the employee looks at me and says "come on Kay I am good locksmith and deserve a raise" and I said YEP you deserve a raise alright, and when I get in the office in the morning I'll give you your RED SLIP and RAISE your ass right out of here, and I walked away. Needless to say, I gave him the RED SLIP first thing the next morning along with his final paycheck LESS the money he stole from jobs. Little did he know I had started a anti-theft system two weeks before that which tracked all incoming jobs and who they were assigned to. Now days, employees want BIG $$$ for little work... it's the reason more and more are going into creating one-man businesses. The Big retailers are stuck, they need employees but havent yet figured out how to get good ones.
The Schnauzer and his Chauffeur's
Colorado Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
I agree Kay. But there still is pride in workmanship, but it's not part of big business anymore. It's those small shops who train their people properly and won't tolerate people with the wrong attitude.

I'm afraid those from my generation with their "permissive method" of raising their kids has discovered the consequences of not teaching their kids the consequences of their actions (or inactions). It seems that every day now we get to hear about some horrible thing the 16-30-somethings has done. Just this past year some gal's boyfriend killed her baby because it wouldn't shut up and he wanted to play Xbox.

I think it's going to get worse too.
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everyday I learn that life is better and worse than I think it is, just depends on the moment.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Alpine Owners Club
Ok, I am old (61 in 8 days), but until I cannot get under a vehicle, I will do my own oil changes, lube my coach, and install my own equipment on my toads, etc. Why, because I have pride in my work, know what I'm doing, and double/triple check to make sure it's all according to the instructions in the book.

With that said, you as the owner, need to make sure that when you have someone work on a system on any of your vehicles, it's up to YOU, to check and make sure it's correct, or performed.

I am so anal, that when I do have the dealer do an oil change (give me a deal on a coupon), that before I leave the lot, I check the oil level, and when I get home, I crawl underneath and check the tightness of the plug and the filter. I know I do good work, I cannot speak to those young guys, who spend more time on the phone/iPod/iPod, etc, instead of paying attention to what they are paid to do.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote