Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2017, 03:18 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeroid View Post
So what you are saying if I take my single axle cargo trailer and load a ton of wood pellets I am morally obligated to add a braking sysem?
In NY: (Don't see where they make any distinction between a "trailer" and a "towed vehicle").
Trailers weighing over 1,000 lbs. unladen, and trailers having a maximum gross weight in excess of 3,000 lbs, must be equiped with brakes.
Brakes must be adequate to control the vehicle at all times, be in good working order and must comply with the standards set by the Commissioner for brake efficiency.
Commercially used trailers must have an emergency breakaway system, which will hold the trailer stationary for at least 15 minutes.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Federal Regulations Title 49 (49CFR571.4) of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (10-01-08 edition) defines a 'trailer' as follows: “Trailer means a motor vehicle with or without motive power, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by another motor vehicle."

Here is link to another chart put out by RVI Braking Systems.

https://rvibrake.com/pages/towing-law
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The exemptions for towing a car without a auxiliary brake is for tow trucks which are totally different in braking systems than a motorhome.
That is NOT true in Florida, and I would never try to claim any such rule was the same in all 50 states. Or the Canadian provinces either. There are far too many exceptions and exclusions to try to make any vehicle towing statement universal across the USA and/or Canada. The only answer can be "research each state you plan to tow in". I have found too many errors in the sites that claim to list towing laws, especially those who selling a tow braking system.

Better yet, install a toad brake system and then you don't have to worry about the laws of physics or the laws of man.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #18

Florida 316.261 Brake Equipment Required.
(4) AUTOMATIC TRAILER BRAKE APPLICATION UPON BREAKAWAY.—Every trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer with air or vacuum-actuated brakes, every trailer and semitrailer with a gross weight in excess of 3,000 pounds, and every pole trailer with a gross weight in excess of 3,000 pounds manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1972, shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels and of such character as to be applied automatically and promptly, and remain applied for at least 15 minutes, upon breakaway from the towing vehicle.

And for clarity
Florida 316.003 Definitions.
(58) TRAILER.—Any vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #19

I don't have an auxiliary brake system. Chevy tracker 2wd. Around 2700 lbs.
Just don't want the complexity and problems of these brake systems.
Almost impossible for car to separate from the RV. Three hard hookups on the RV. Four on the toad. Simply ain't gonna happen. At 10% of the weight of my RV, not even noticable when braking. So why beg for problems. And no, I don't have any more of a moral obligation to have an auxiliary brake system as I do to have a TPMS, antilock brakes or not tune the radio when I drive(which I don't).
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:53 AM   #20

I guess as long as you stay out of California, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, and Wisconsin you would be within weight requirements.

And pulling a toad without a TPMS to know if the toad tires are okay is another risky way to live.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:42 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Twice now I forgot to take the vacuum off the toads brake system. First time I lightly hit the MH brakes, our Honda Accord at 3500 lbs, applied also. And yes we could feel it significantly. Slowed both vehicles, MH IS 32000 lbs.
I now know an aux brake system is absolutely necessary. For down hills, emergency stops and if the Accord came loose.
I bet toads have come loose in major accidents.
Liabilities without aux brakes? WOW!
Old 10-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
I guess as long as you stay out of California, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, and Wisconsin you would be within weight requirements.

And pulling a toad without a TPMS to know if the toad tires are okay is another risky way to live.
Actually I have a TPMS. Now that is worthwhile.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Almost impossible for car to separate from the RV."

Actually all it would take is metal failure or someone messing around with your hookups. I can tell from your message that your mind is made up. Hopefully you will never regret your decision and nobody else will suffer from that decision.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Twice now I forgot to take the vacuum off the toads brake system. First time I lightly hit the MH brakes, our Honda Accord at 3500 lbs, applied also. And yes we could feel it significantly. Slowed both vehicles, MH IS 32000 lbs.
I now know an aux brake system is absolutely necessary. For down hills, emergency stops and if the Accord came loose.
I bet toads have come loose in major accidents.
Liabilities without aux brakes? WOW!
In many states, under 3000# not required. It is a very rare event to see a loose toad.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
"Almost impossible for car to separate from the RV."

Actually all it would take is metal failure or someone messing around with your hookups. I can tell from your message that your mind is made up. Hopefully you will never regret your decision and nobody else will suffer from that decision.
Metal failure of an awful lot of separate hitch points all at once. So ain't gonna happen.
Your other point is possible. But I almost always do a walk around by the toad at every stop just before departing checking for mischief. Everyone should do that regardless of aux brakes.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
In many states, under 3000# not required. It is a very rare event to see a loose toad.
Rare indeed. True Story,

This past summer we were at a CG in northern BC and I was chatting with the owner. He told me they had a group of four RV's come in overnight on their way to AK. The next morning they pulled out early and on their way.
A few hours later one of them came back looking for their toad. Apparently they stopped for a break and noticed their toad was gone.
The group ended up back in the CG that night after they eventually found the missing toad by finding some tracks leading off the road into the bush. Low and behold, the missing toad. Not in the best of condition, certainly not roadworthy.

The CG owner did not find out exactly what happened to cause the incident but it did put a crimp on one couples vacation to AK.

Aside of the law, my reason for having a braking system is two fold,

1/. My coach has ample braking power to control the toad but in an Emergency Stop, my concern is the tow bar collapsing and toad climbing over the hitch. Tow bars are designed for pulling not pushing.

2/. Should something go haywire and the toad goes off on its own (as in the story above) my braking system will apply the brakes and hopefully avert a collision. Or, having to go back and find it.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Rare indeed. True Story,

This past summer we were at a CG in northern BC and I was chatting with the owner. He told me they had a group of four RV's come in overnight on their way to AK. The next morning they pulled out early and on their way.
A few hours later one of them came back looking for their toad. Apparently they stopped for a break and noticed their toad was gone.
The group ended up back in the CG that night after they eventually found the missing toad by finding some tracks leading off the road into the bush. Low and behold, the missing toad. Not in the best of condition, certainly not roadworthy.

The CG owner did not find out exactly what happened to cause the incident but it did put a crimp on one couples vacation to AK.

Aside of the law, my reason for having a braking system is two fold,

1/. My coach has ample braking power to control the toad but in an Emergency Stop, my concern is the tow bar collapsing and toad climbing over the hitch. Tow bars are designed for pulling not pushing.

2/. Should something go haywire and the toad goes off on its own (as in the story above) my braking system will apply the brakes and hopefully avert a collision. Or, having to go back and find it.
So what failed on the tow bar?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
So what failed on the tow bar?
Good question but The CG owner never did find out the actual cause.
I can't imagine driving for hours and not knowing you lost your toad until you stopped but then they do walk among us.

Tags
toad