Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
where to get toad set up?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a person/place in central Virginia so I can get my new-to-me MH and not-new-to-me car set up so I can tow the car? The car can be towed 4-down.

I'm currently visiting in the Ashland, VA, area (slightly north of Richmond) and get such different information from the places I've contacted! My preference at this point would be to get the baseplate and towbar/braking system myself and have someone who knows what they're doing install them (that would eliminate me since I'm clueless). Please PM me if you'd rather not post your response.

I called one dealership that's closeby and they don't install parts that they don't sell. Is that normal?

Many thanks!
Pam
plpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

For my current Toad, a Smart Car, I purchased my baseplate direct and went to a mechanic who really knew the car and he installed it. This was the cheapest and the best install I have had. This mechanic knew exactly how to remove and replace car assemblies and the baseplate instructiions were easy to follow. This mechanic knew exactly where to run the wires also because of his indepth knowledge of the car. My first choice is to have a mechanic who knows the car over an RV technican who has never installed a baseplate on my vehicle type.

My first 2 toads I had baseplates installed at an RV place and they purchased and installed everything but really charged me through the nose and in my second toad the horn was not reinstalled correctly and it got water in it and froze in the winter. The RV technician in this instance installed base plates before but never on a chevy Malibu. I was not really impressed with the job.

Camping World installed a master brake system on my Malibu and put a 14 gauge wire direct from the battery to the break-away system without an in-line fuse. I did not notice this until I was in another state and I went to Radio Shack and purchased a fuse and installed it myself. I was not impressed with either his lack of knowlege or sloppy work. Had that line shorted to ground that small wire would have burned up in an instant with the high probability of starting a fire.

Based on my experience - I prefer my installer to know the vehicle he is working on and I prefer to purchase the baseplate myself.

Good luck in whatever route you choose. Hope my experience gives you something to think about.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pick the system you want and then go to their website and look up the local dealer. I have Blue Ox and they had a dealer link by zip code or City on their site I am sure most do.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plpwv View Post
I called one dealership that's closeby and they don't install parts that they don't sell. Is that normal?
Quite normal. They want the profit on the product as well and the labor to install.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Quite normal. They want the profit on the product as well and the labor to install.
Hmmmm, good to know. I was about to order on the internet.... guess I'll hunt around for the right price at an installation place in Las Vegas when my Mini is delivered.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

I used a body shop to have my brackets installed. Parts of the front trim had to be removed and I felt that it would be best to have a body shop do body work rather than rely on a RV place. Also, the labor rate is lower at a body shop. I downloaded the install directions and took them to the shop.

I have an SMI Air Force One braking system on my Jeep and I had them install it and the portion that needed installed on the motor home.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #7

Excellent idea phays. Anyone have recommendations for body shops in Las Vegas.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad