Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #1

Where to tap into brake switch for controller wiring

I will attempt to wire an electric brake controller for my 2005 Bounder this weekend and I'll admit I'm not looking forward to it. I have found the blue wire under the dash that goes to the trailer connector and I can barely reach it with one hand, so that will be fun.

I have a couple of other questions, too. The brake pedal switch has several wires coming off of it (see photo) and I'm wondering if anyone who has done this job on a Bounder can give me some guidance about picking the right one to use for that connection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1466458181.961764.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	130746

I guess I can just stick a meter on them and find the one that goes high when the pedal is depressed, but this whole system is a bit intimidating to me and I don't want to screw something up by wiring into the wrong thing.

Also, if you have wired one of these before, where did you tap into ground and 12v? Is there some particular place/connection/wire you should use?

Thanks for your help. Any stories or advice are appreciated.

Charlie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

Charlie, what chassis is your Bounder on ?
A word of caution ; judging by the number of wires on the brake light switch , some of the wires are involved in the cruise control operation , so you'll have to be careful to get the right one.

I'd say put your volt meter on the wiring to the two wire connector, one should be constant 12v power, the other 12v only when the pedal is pushed . Then remove the brake light fuse to confirm that you're working on the brake light portion of the switch; and not the cruise control portion.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I ran into some information recently for the Ford F53 chassis if that is what you have. Google "ford f53 body and special equipment installation precautions" and include your chassis year too. I got a detailed document published by Ford that lays out all the important circuits and wire colors for towing light, brakes, and other accessories. In the document for my year chassis it said not to tap into the brake light switch at all because it can mess with your engine, transmission and cruise controls. There is a dedicated plug for connecting an electric trailer brake and I used it to pick up a brake light signal for my tow brake. If you are installing a trailer brake you should be able to get and plug that fits this connector and not need any other connections.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

Mine is on the Workhorse chassis and I don't believe there is a dedicated plug. The existence of the spare blue wire under the dash would appear to confirm that, I think.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Follow this link to some instruction on etrailer.com for a '07 Fleetwood Southwind. It is for Workhorse so it could be the same for yours.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-58434.html
If you don't want to run wires through the firewall to tap directly into the battery as these instructions would suggest then you need to make sure the +12v circuit you tap into has enough capacity to handle the amp load your brake conroller will draw. Look at the size of fuse in the circuit, what is already on the cicuit and the specs for your controller for current draw. Maybe a workhorse expert will chime in with some help here because I'm pretty sure there has to be a circuit designed for trailer brakes. It is a heavy truck chassis after all and it was pre-wired with the blue brake output wire.

Tags
brake, switch, wiring