Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
which Blue Ox coiled cable and receptor

Hello All,
We just purchased a new Rubicon (2017) and I am ordering the tow plate and accessories. Which coiled cable/receptor is required. I have a 7 pin coming from the coach. I think my prior one was a 7 pin to 6 pin, what dictates how many pins I need on the Jeep side of the equation?

Thanks in advance for answering what is probably a ridiculously simple question!

Regards,

KM
KJMac69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

My coach has a 7 pin connector also, and I just went with a 7 pin connector on the honda CR-V. I did not however go with the coiled wire, but instead went with a straight wire. I detest those coiled things.

At a minimum you will need 4 wires, and if you go with a "charge wire" to keep the toad battery charged, you will need an extra or 5 wires. And if you want feedback from the toad braking system you may need additional wires. Also, for me, the larger sized 7 pin plug just makes it much easier to plug and unplug the cord.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Blue Ox 6 wire coiled cable connected to a flush mounted receptacle mounted in my Rock Hard bumper. Internally wired to a jeep OEM wiring harness and battery charge line to my battery through a RVI Toad Battery Charger Module to isolate the battery from the jeep harness. Works great.
[ATTACH]169095[
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	169095  
Old 07-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

The 7 to 6 pin is probably the most used so just go with it. You may have unused pins but it doesn't make any difference. Even some Walmarts carries 7 to 6 pin cables.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach has 7 pin. Use an adapter to 4 pin. Cable from jeep is simple flat with 4 pin connector.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #6

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I am doing the same thing as RockyMtnRide. I have the mopar wiring harness, it uses 5 of the 6 wires, I use the 6 wire for SMI Air Force One brake light indicatorClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	169325
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't like the coil either, I run the straight cable. Since everything on motor homes and trucks use a 7 pin, I buy the 7 pin to 6 pin cable. You need 4 wires minimum and the two extra give you a possible charge wire and a spare for things like a dash indicator when you're brakes are being applied.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #8

There was a "batch" or, series of Blue Ox coiled cables that had some bad chemical make-up in the blue insulation. That insulation just started to disintegrate after only a few years. Others have lasted but, some just started the blue insulation peeling off, all on its own, mine included. So, I kept the 7 and 6 pin ends and, purchased some nice 14/7 trailer cable and, made my own, based on the actual length needed, plus slack. Been on there now for a year and, it's still perfect.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
There was a "batch" or, series of Blue Ox coiled cables that had some bad chemical make-up in the blue insulation. That insulation just started to disintegrate after only a few years. Others have lasted but, some just started the blue insulation peeling off, all on its own, mine included. So, I kept the 7 and 6 pin ends and, purchased some nice 14/7 trailer cable and, made my own, based on the actual length needed, plus slack. Been on there now for a year and, it's still perfect.
Scott
Like Scott, I made my own. But unlike Scott I never tried to BlueOX cable on the tow bar where it is exposed to the sun. Instead I use my BlueOx blue cable inside the barn where I fuel the tractor using a 12 volt diesel fuel transfer pump. The cable is holding up very well inside there.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Like Scott, I made my own. But unlike Scott I never tried to BlueOX cable on the tow bar where it is exposed to the sun. Instead I use my BlueOx blue cable inside the barn where I fuel the tractor using a 12 volt diesel fuel transfer pump. The cable is holding up very well inside there.
Yeah Big D,
That Blue Ox coiled pig tail I had was a couple years old when I got it. But, about a year or so later, in a mid to fair usage, the blue insulation just started to crack and peel away. So, out came the electricians tape. Well, that worked for about a couple of months. Then, it cracked beyond the taping. I fixed that. Well, it kept on in the same fashion until, over half the length was taped. So, I figured what the heck, it's only going to continue so, lets just do it right. I got on to ebay and Amazon and checked out what they had to offer. I picked up 20' of that 7/14 trailer cable for about $15 bucks I think it was.
Now, no more peeling of insulation and, I have the just-right length for my application and, I've got about 10'-12' left over another application.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, led