Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Which Blue Ox tow bar for my Traverse?

Just bought a 2016 Chevy Traverse. Had the M&G brake system installed on both motor home and Traverse. The Blue Ox base plate will be installed in 2 days. Installer is Smitty's RV Welding, who gets stellar reviews from anyone who knows them.

The Traverse is about 4,600 lbs. The Blue Ox Alpha rated 6,500 lbs is recommended. But I'm wondering if the Aventa LX (10,000 lb rating) would be better? Not only in capacity, but is the Aventi ball design easier to use?

Thanks for any insight.

2009 Monaco Camelot 42KFQ coach
2016 Chevy Traverse toad, M&G braking, Blue Ox
Full-timing since 2008
JohnCamelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

The Aventa is a much better device. The ball makes for much easier operation. IMHO

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
I purchased the Blue Ox aluminum rated at 7500#
Pull a Cadillac SRX
Len and Sue Rose .. Lake Centralia, Illinois ...................
................."Trixie" the rescue dog...
2015 DutchStar 4018....... Cadillac SRX
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Get the Aventa LX. Towbar is not something to cheap out on.
2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Very much agree with just getting the Aventa. I bought that one as we bought our first MH and we tow a Kia Soul. Went to a Blue Ox seminar at the Tom Johnson customer appreciation weekend in 2013 and the Blue Ox guy said that the 6500 lb Version was built for price. It's ALWAYS better to not take chances. The Aventa is very easy to set up and it's solid as a rock. We have towed the Kia with a Navion IQ, Country Coach Allure and soon the Kia will be following a new Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP we just ordered. The Blue Ox equipment is great. So far we have towed the Kia about 12,000 miles with not a problem.
Dan and Dr. Jan, 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37 AP, 450 HP Cummins ISL, 2013 Kia Soul Toad, SMI Stay in Play toad braking, Protect-A-Tow stone guard
Dsmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just had the M&G installed on my coach last month at M&G. I purchased an Aventa LX from them. So far, it has been great.
2005 Kountry Star 3907, ISC330, Spartan chassis, M&G braking, Blue Ox Aventa XL
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Just had the M&G installed on my coach last month at M&G. I purchased an Aventa LX from them. So far, it has been great.

I would look at the Avail towbar also I love it

Both it and the Aventa are rated at 10,000
Longer legs.
The Class IV Avail™ provides an improved turning radius for better cornering. It fits wide or narrow towed vehicles and smooths towing over rough roads. It’s revolutionary non-binding latch design releases easily under any conditions. The Avail™ features a no interference, low profile handle design. Maneuver around gas station pumps with greater ease and keep your towed vehicle safely away from your motorhome in tight turns

Great tow bar, much easier to get unhitched, the heavy duty safety cables make me feet better also
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
258 Campgrounds, 1229 nights camping since 2009 and 58 K Winnebago miles
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
The Aladdin is rated for 7,500 lbs. No experience with the Aventa but have no complaints with our Aladdin.

70ChevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote

blue ox, tow