Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Which Blue Ox tow bar to get?

New to the MH towing game.
MH: 2014 Itasca Sunstar, 5000lb hitch
Toad: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Question: I have a local guy to set me up. I asked him about buying a used Blue Ox he told me to look for an Aventa (I found one or two used, both Aventa II BX7335).

I've also found a few Blue Ox Alphas
(BX7365)
Any differences in Blue Ox models besides the lb rating? Anything special I should be looking for to tow the Jeep?

Any advice is welcome, I don't know too much about towing

Thanks,
Greg delo
gdelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdelo View Post
New to the MH towing game.
MH: 2014 Itasca Sunstar, 5000lb hitch
Toad: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Question: I have a local guy to set me up. I asked him about buying a used Blue Ox he told me to look for an Aventa (I found one or two used, both Aventa II BX7335).

I've also found a few Blue Ox Alphas
(BX7365)
Any differences in Blue Ox models besides the lb rating? Anything special I should be looking for to tow the Jeep?

Any advice is welcome, I don't know too much about towing

Thanks,
Greg delo
I just replaced my old Aventa that was 10+ years old, at least 50,000 miles towing, with a new BO Alpha (6500 Lb. BX7365). On visual inspection, it is identical to the Aventa. Same size arms etc etc. Except the Aventa used the ball/socket where the Alpha uses a different swivel system.
Towing my 3200 Lb Honda CRV it should last at least ten years and by then, who cares.......

If this is your first and your new to towing, I strongly suggest going with new equipment unless you are familiar with these things. I could easily sell my old Aventa for a couple hundred bucks but I choose to cut it in half and scrap it rather than have someone buy it and put their life and mine on the line with a worn out tow bar. Just not worth it, IMHO
Old 07-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Dennis45, that sounds like good advice, I'll go with new.
I'm looking at getting it all set up by the end of August.

Safe travels!
Old 07-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdelo View Post
Thanks Dennis45, that sounds like good advice, I'll go with new.
I'm looking at getting it all set up by the end of August.

Safe travels!
Happy Trails to you as well.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #5

I bought a used one. Broke within a little more that one year. I replaced it with a new one. On my second year with the new one and no problems.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #6

What braking system are you planning to use? Your coach is a gasser on an F53 Ford chassis right?

You will be money, time and frustration ahead passing on the Blue Ox towbar and getting a Ready Brute Elite. This is a Towbar and braking system all in one.

A Wrangler is a super simple toad to set up for towing behind a motorhome. A Ready Brake system will take about 1 to install with even marginal abilities.

I used a Blue Ox towbar and Ready Brake for the last year. Both worked good but I wanted it to be a little better. I just bought a new Ready Brute Elite and will be getting rid of the Blue Ox system soon.

A Blue Ox towbar is a good towbar but you also need a braking system. The RBE does everything all in one nice package.

These can be found for $1100 brand new on Amazon and other retailers.

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/...V_Tow_Bar.html

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I don’t think BO is the go to product it once was for whatever reasons. I know unless it’s changed but e-trailer stopped installing their equipment. They sell it but stopped installing. I believe it has to do with tech support.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Readybrake looks great, tmw188. I will definitely check it out, thank you!
Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
As I get older the actual weight of a tow bar becomes important - although I do not take it off and on a whole bunch of times the current blue ox tow bars weigh 28, 31,41 and 53 pounds

Good advise buy new as the do not last forever, my first one lasted 6 years and used it about 225 times as we move around alot
rream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, tow