Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Which brake controller for jl jeep

We have a new jeep jl wrangler and are going to geet a braking system to to it with a Bounder 35k. The dealer has proposed blue ox baseplate avail tow bar and cables. Plus astealth braking ssystem . This is our first class a coming from fifth wheel and would like to wait for the jeep harness but want to go ahead and get the rest done. Does this require an added brake controller box on dash like older trucks used and if so which would be best ffor use with the new jl jeep?
ccrewstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrewstx View Post
We have a new jeep jl wrangler and are going to geet a braking system to to it with a Bounder 35k. The dealer has proposed blue ox baseplate avail tow bar and cables. Plus astealth braking ssystem . This is our first class a coming from fifth wheel and would like to wait for the jeep harness but want to go ahead and get the rest done. Does this require an added brake controller box on dash like older trucks used and if so which would be best ffor use with the new jl jeep?

Lots of different stuff out there so I am sure you'll get confused quickly! LOL

Will you be using the Jeep for off road use much? If so I'd stay away from the base plate thing and go with a RockHard bumper in steel or aluminum that you can get with attachment points for a Demco,BluOx,Roadmaster hitch. Those base plates are like bulldozer blades off road.

We have a 35K and tow a 2017 JKRU. We use the NSA Ready Brute Elite hitch which is a 8,000 lb hitch. They cost a bit more than most hitches out there, but they have the brake system built in. I haven't had it long but it has worked flawless since day one. Definitely something worth looking at. For the tail light situation you will have a multitude of options. The JL uses a LED tail lamp housing so going with the Roadmaster "add a bulb" system Like I have on both my Jeeps is a no go I think. Just my $0.02 but If I had a JL I'd get some simple trailer lights and hook them up on a removable bracket on the rear. Then you just have a simple 4 wire harness going from the Bounder to the tail lamps. Nothing hooked to your Jeep wiring system and cheap as well. With most all braking systems your brake petal on the Jeep will be depressed by that system so you'll have brake lamps but you need turn signals as well. With the auxiliary trailer lights you'll have brake, tail lamp, turn signals running off the Bounder electrical and additional brake lamps running off the Jeep. Very little electrical draw on the Jeep system so you don't need to worry about killing the battery. With the above mentioned NSA hitch the Jeep powered brake lights will only be on when actually slowing down. Once stopped the Jeep brake lamps go off. But as long as your foot is on the Bounder brake petal the auxiliary trailer brake lights are on.

I have never been fond of wiring into a vehicle electrical system to interact with another vehicles electrical system. Especially with a new vehicle under warranty that has a very technical electric system which everything has today. I like simple. The only thing I wired into my JKRU system was a Demco CoachLink brake light monitor. That is one wire to my brake light switch on the Jeep. It sends a wireless signal to the driver in the motorhome letting them know the brake petal is depressed on the Jeep or not.

Go simple.
BTW, a little research on customer reviews goes a long way as well. I did that when I got my Bounder in April. The NSA hitch won out for me due to customer satisfaction, ease of installation, simplicity, and overall cost. I also have 2 Jeeps I can tow so setting up the second Jeep will be well under $200 to get geterdone.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

Also an FYI. (disclaimer here: I am not a legalistic mantra spewer) The 35K, although being large, is a 22K chassis vehicle. If you load the motorhome up to it's GVW rating it can only (legally) tow up to 4,000 lbs. It does have a 5,000 lb hitch. We have a lightly loaded Bounder almost all the time so I doubt we ever get into that problem of being legalistically over loaded. But, I can tell you that Bounder tows the heck out of my 4700-4800 lb Jeep. The only time you'll know it's there is on long hills or steep hills.

Tags
brake