Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #15

I've been converted to Honda's recently. Driving the heck out of a an 03 CRV the last couple of years has made me a believer.

Anyway, I've been looking for something to replace a 4x4 Dakota PU used to pull a 3500lb boat around on occasion. Started looking at/checking out the Honda Ridgeline (pick up built on beefed up Pilot running gear, similar to Chev. Avalanche). A lot of homework would seem to indicate it should work fine for what I want to do with it.

So, second though, will it tow 4 down? The best answer I can find in owners forums (including input from long time Honda mechanics) - is not officially. It would appear that while nothing significant has changed mechanically, Honda does recognize the issue of the battery going dead. Bottom line, they don't want to deal with it - therefor they pulled the towing 4 down endorsement - officially.

So, a Ridgeline followed me home this afternoon. Pretty impressed with the ride and handling on the 100 mi. trip home - much as I was led to believe by my research.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Joe I don't think any of the Auto Hondas can be towed for 2015 so if you want one you better jump on a 2014 Pilot or CRV right now
None of the Pilots has been towable since the 2005 model year. This came up when we were discussing a buy back with Honda, the WA and CA AG's office. Honda refused and said the '05 pilot was not towable and they've stuck to that ever since. They also claim that any '05 and newer Pilots that the owners manual says is towable is a misprint in the manual.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurier View Post
Fit and CR V without a problem.
We do have a CR V 2013 and really enjoy it. Cheap on gas, 4 wheeldrive easy to tow, weight 3300 lbs
Not with the 2015 model year, only the manual trans Fit is towable, NONE of the automatics are since they now use the CV transmission.
However Honda has stated that they will be evaluating them for possible changes, but I wouldn't hold my breath!
Too bad too as I was thinking about treading the '05 Ody for a '15 or '16 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
My wife loves Hondas! I would like to have a 4WD. Comfort is a big concern because we do a lot of traveling in the toad. Which models can be safely towed 4-down? Thanks!
Since you put comfort as your priority you might want to skip the Honda's that are towable as of 2015 and look at something like a Cadillac SRX. I tow a Subaru but would not classify it as "comfortable".
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
None of the Pilots has been towable since the 2005 model year. This came up when we were discussing a buy back with Honda, the WA and CA AG's office. Honda refused and said the '05 pilot was not towable and they've stuck to that ever since. They also claim that any '05 and newer Pilots that the owners manual says is towable is a misprint in the manual.
Wow!

We bought our 2005 Honda Pilot specifically because it was tow able. Our owner's manual explicitly and specifically details the proper procedure for preparing the transmission for towing the vehicle. We have followed theses instructions to the letter.

Our 2005 Honda Pilot has been a terrific toad!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Are you dead set on automatics? If not, what about a Subaru? All manual transmission Suburus are towable 4 down, except their two-seater sports car. We love our Impreza, all wheel drive and five-speed manual. Great car!

Yep, the DW would never accept a manual tranny!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #21

The only reason Honda says any of their auto/4wd vehicles are not towable is they do not want to deal with all the warranty claims. I would guess there were enough idiots out there who did not know how to read or follow simple directions, screwed up their tranny, and went crying to Honda to replace it. Makes perfect business sense to me.

The only reasons you should be worried about towing a 2014 and earlier, is if you absolutely need a warranty (but its a Honda, so you probably won't) or two you are an idiot and don't know how follow simple instruction! No offense if you fall into the latter category.

Our 2005 Pilot does fine being towed, as will all the CRVs, Elements, Fits, Odysseys, and Ridgelines as they are all based on the same 5 speed tranny Honda has used for more than a decade. My understanding is that the trans fluid pump is connected to the final drive output and is turned as long as the wheels are moving, but only if the tranny was last placed in DRIVE and NOT reverse, before being left in Neutral to tow.

Good luck I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda.

Tom
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #22

That pretty much echoes everything I've read....
Old 11-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Tom, this may be true for Hondas that have the same transmission as yours, but the newer models may have different transmissions including 6-speeds and CVT's. These have no history of being successfully towed as does yours. I would love to buy a new Acura MDX and tow it, but I would be taking a risk with over $10,000. Figure the cost of preparing the vehicle for 4-down towing at about $2-3K, a new tranny for $5K, and the depreciation hit if you have to dump it because it doesn't tow. Not a prudent risk, IMHO, so I'll stick with vehicles that are approved for towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percival6 View Post
The only reason Honda says any of their auto/4wd vehicles are not towable is they do not want to deal with all the warranty claims. I would guess there were enough idiots out there who did not know how to read or follow simple directions, screwed up their tranny, and went crying to Honda to replace it. Makes perfect business sense to me.

The only reasons you should be worried about towing a 2014 and earlier, is if you absolutely need a warranty (but its a Honda, so you probably won't) or two you are an idiot and don't know how follow simple instruction! No offense if you fall into the latter category.

Our 2005 Pilot does fine being towed, as will all the CRVs, Elements, Fits, Odysseys, and Ridgelines as they are all based on the same 5 speed tranny Honda has used for more than a decade. My understanding is that the trans fluid pump is connected to the final drive output and is turned as long as the wheels are moving, but only if the tranny was last placed in DRIVE and NOT reverse, before being left in Neutral to tow.

Good luck I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda.

Tom
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I've been converted to Honda's recently. Driving the heck out of a an 03 CRV the last couple of years has made me a believer.

Anyway, I've been looking for something to replace a 4x4 Dakota PU used to pull a 3500lb boat around on occasion. Started looking at/checking out the Honda Ridgeline (pick up built on beefed up Pilot running gear, similar to Chev. Avalanche). A lot of homework would seem to indicate it should work fine for what I want to do with it.

So, second though, will it tow 4 down? The best answer I can find in owners forums (including input from long time Honda mechanics) - is not officially. It would appear that while nothing significant has changed mechanically, Honda does recognize the issue of the battery going dead. Bottom line, they don't want to deal with it - therefor they pulled the towing 4 down endorsement - officially.

So, a Ridgeline followed me home this afternoon. Pretty impressed with the ride and handling on the 100 mi. trip home - much as I was led to believe by my research.
Hmm ... I figured you for a Yugo guy. I think they have always been towed ...

Tags
honda, tow