Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Which JEEP do you tow

I just purchased a 2016 Grand Cherokee, Limited. I installed the RoadMaster E-Z base plates which took less than 4 hours including the universal wiring kit and a Toad Charge. I also added a SMI Duo supplemental braking system that took an additional 3 hours. I tow with a RoadMaster Sterling tow bar, Guardian and Tow Defender for rock protection. I had the Guardian and Tow Defender on our prior toad (2008 Saturn) on our trip to Alaska.

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
I just purchased a 2016 Grand Cherokee, Limited. I installed the RoadMaster E-Z base plates which took less than 4 hours including the universal wiring kit and a Toad Charge. I also added a SMI Duo supplemental braking system that took an additional 3 hours. I tow with a RoadMaster Sterling tow bar, Guardian and Tow Defender for rock protection. I had the Guardian and Tow Defender on our prior toad (2008 Saturn) on our trip to Alaska.

Here is a picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470921423.472767.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	135614

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #31

2004 Wrangler. Slightly modified.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #32

Name:	DSCN0764.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	629.4 KB
ID:	135698

Name:	DSCN0765.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	135699

Name:	DSCN0766.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	617.2 KB
ID:	135700

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #33

Thanks

Thanks for your input. This is the place to go to get expert RV related information.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #34

I have towed a late 90s Jeep Cherokee on and off for a number of years. Initial cost was over $1100.00 for a new Roadmaster tow bar, tow plate and lighting kit, with installation in another one of my tow vehicles that I removed and re-installed onto the Jeep, with a new tow plate. . Roadmaster and other brand tow bars usually have tow bar repair parts, as different items of a tow bar potentially wear or break. There are pros and cons between manufactures. e.g. basic implementation and design differences between Blue Ox and Roadmaster tow bars.

Even though the Jeep is fairly light 3000 - 3500 lbs. I use a portable tow brake. (cost was an additional ~$1000.00). I was initially surprised to find these tow brakes actually do work and worth the additional expense. I've towed a toad in many different types of road conditions - city, suburban, rural, highway, freeway and off-road. A tow brake adds four more brakes which significantly reduces stopping distances and helps to prevent from minor and major accidents, ending up in a ditch, hitting objects, etc.

Another thing I recommend is toad lighting amp booster. The lighting kit that was originally installed in another tow vehicle, when re-installed in the Jeep was way too dim. Brake lights and signals were too dim. So I picked one of those tow light boosters that are designed to install in the towing vehicle and re-wired for installation into the Jeep. The Jeep can now be towed by any vehicle without worry of the tow lights being too dim.

When installing a tow brakes that requires 12 volt DC to operate you will want to make certain your towing vehicle supplies enough continual power for the tow brake or install a charging circuit for the toad's battery (when a tow brake is connected only to the toad's battery)

I want to add, there are some Jeep owners that don't believe in flat towing their Jeep. Reasons vary but their Jeeps are towed minimally with an axle disconnect, next would be use of a tow dolly and lastly would be a flat bed.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This one is a perfect tow - light and easy, but not so quiet even with the hardtop on. We looked at a Grand Cherokee last week, and they are towable with a neutral button on the transfer case, but I don't believe the regular Cherokee was. We will probably go with a new Wrangler or F150 when we change.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07-29-2016 Crescent City-072.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	497.3 KB
ID:	135756  
Old 08-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #36

American Coach Owners Club
We tow my 2000 Grand Cherokee and her 2013 Wrangler.
I prefer my GC it's more comfortable plus with the bicycles on back we can still open the rear glass.

Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:00 PM   #37

Did I miss it or am I correct that not ONE Jeep Commander is towed?

Been looking to buy one to haul the GDer's.

We Towed a 2001 MDX 275,000+ miles and it is done. Looking for the right Commander.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Did I miss it or am I correct that not ONE Jeep Commander is towed?

Been looking to buy one to haul the GDer's.

We Towed a 2001 MDX 275,000+ miles and it is done. Looking for the right Commander.
There appears to be some ambiguity between the years and Jeep's warranty. Some Jeeps it isn't recommended to use a tow dolly. I have read some types of towing potentially voids Jeeps warranty. Some user & service manuals have instructions for all methods of towing, while others don't recommend specific types of towing. My user manual includes instructions for flat towing. However it's hasn't been clear what Jeep recommends as more permanent solutions. I think that's one reason why some Jeep owners axle disconnect or use a flat bed. Some possibly use a tow dolly. Tow dollys can present problems as to which wheels are off the ground, two wheels off the ground potentially have problems that flat towing doesn't have.

Usually because of the existence of the transfer case there are differences between two and four wheel drive vehicle towing.

I'm more familiar with older Jeeps from 2001 and earlier.

Performing a search of Jeep Commander as a toad turned a few hits, but many of the sites have too much advertising which slows down my connection with them down to a crawl. I have a 120 GBS internet connection that I share with a few other users.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Love our Grand Cherokee

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471047732.049240.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	135764

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:18 AM   #40

To the OP. What do you want to do with your Jeep when you unhook? If you will mostly on streets or highways with only mild off-road use, go with a Grand Cherokee. They will give you the most comfort and pleasure when touring an area. If you plan to do more than just mild off-road travel and exploring, the JKU is a better choice. We have towed the older GC and the newer style 4 door JK. The JKU was to be my daily driver too, but after 50-75 miles in it, I was ready to get out. It was a 2010 and I know the newer ones are more comfortable. Our current Jeep is an 05 Wrangler with 40" tires, coilover suspension and RJ60 axles. Although it is still street legal in AZ, I haul it in a trailer, as it is mostly for rock crawling.

Drive a 2007 or later JKU and GC for 50-60 miles before you decide which is best for you. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:26 PM   #41

If I had a choice for a new Jeep, I would go with a JKU Rubicon. It's already has most of the stock Jeep upgrades, and is reliable both on and off road. Or a used modified CJ, TJ or YJ, all are great Jeeps.

If you plan on ever lifting a Jeep I would stay away from the newer Jeep Cherokee. The way its chassis and suspension is designed you may be able to lift up to a maximum of ~one inch with a Trail Hawk lift kit or other DYI methods figured out by new Cherokee owners. I think the maximum lift achieved has been 1.25 inches.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had a 09 Wrangler that was our toad for some time.
After the wifes knee replacement, she had a hard time getting in and out of the Wrangler even with side steps.
We traded it for a Cherokee. Doing research before buying it, we found out that on the Cherokee, there is only one trans they recommend for flat towing and that is the Active Drive II tranny. We have had no problem with it at all and love it.
Hope this helps.

Tags
tow