Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Which one to tow

I have a tow dolly and 3 possibile Toads, a Chev Monte Carlo, Kia Sorento and a Jeep Wrangler. I have checked curb weights on all 3 and found that the Monte is the lightest. 100lbs less than the Jeep and a whopping 1000lbs. lighter than the Kia. I am leaning towards the Monte because of the weight and better MPG when driving. Anyone had issues with a Monte and open to any and suggestions. Towed the jeep once and had to disconnect the rear drive shaft. 15 minutes max but have to crawl under to unhook and rehook. Any suggestions?
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you already decided on the Monte Carlo---the facts point that way to me; you have a dolly and the MC is lighter and better mpg----sound slike a done deal.

But---and there is always a but----are you sure the Wrangler needs to have the drive shaft disconnected----people report all the time how they are towable 4 down---I see many towed that way-------if you have aninterest in the Wrangler I guess I would check more about their towability.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know but I would check out towing a Monte on a dolly as it is rear wheel drive if I'm not mistaken. You might have to put some kind of pump on the tranny. Just a wild guess.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
I don't know but I would check out towing a Monte on a dolly as it is rear wheel drive if I'm not mistaken. You might have to put some kind of pump on the tranny. Just a wild guess.

Newer Monte Carlos are front drive---I just assumed it was a newer model.
You are right Older Monte Carlos were rear drive----good to point that out---I wonder what year we are talking about?
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Which one for a toad

The Monte is a 2005 front wheel drive and would be drive on and drive off. I bought the dolly to have a choice. The Jeep is fun in the fall with the rag down and will be used some but only gets 18mpg. The Monte gets about 30 and is much more comfortable. My real real concern was is the Monte too long.
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:57 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Too long? Can't imagine it is---you mean because of laws or convenience? Either way you would be fine and that's the long and the short of it-----!

I did some reading about Wranglers---and it seems no one can make up their mind about removing the drive shaft when on a dolly-----but that would rule it out for me----as well.

Suggestion? Hook up the Monte and go------after a few trips if you do not like it then pick another from your stable of cars-------safe travels.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am surprised you had to DC the Drive shaft..

I would take either the chevy of the jeep if you want to give one away.. With the jeep, assumign it is a 2wd and does not have a manual transfer case you can simply put in neutral... You can get a kit from REMCO TOWING that replaces the drive shaft.. Once that is installed, you do not have to crawl under to disconnect.. Just pull the handle.

Given the choice.. I would always prefer to tow a JEEP.. Many reasons, mostly summed up by an article in Car and Driver magazine.. They do an annual "Bang for your Buck contest where they take "hot" cars, Mustangs, Corvetts, that kind of thing, and put drivers in them to rate how much fun they are, then divide fun (Bang) by cost (Bucks) nd more often then not it is a JEEP that comes out on top.. Because the FUN is way up there and the BUCKS.. not so much when compeared to the top end sprots cars.

So If you want to give one away.. I'll take the jeep.

Input on this comes from one of my college professors (Biology lab) who had like six cars (3 of them jeeps) he said if he had to get rid of half his cars.. HE'D KEEP THE JEEPS!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Too long? Can't imagine it is---you mean because of laws or convenience? Either way you would be fine and that's the long and the short of it-----!

I did some reading about Wranglers---and it seems no one can make up their mind about removing the drive shaft when on a dolly-----but that would rule it out for me----as well.

Suggestion? Hook up the Monte and go------after a few trips if you do not like it then pick another from your stable of cars-------safe travels.
you are correct per wrangler manual the solution is tow all 4 down its easier a nd no dolly to store when you arrive at your destination
toading a jeep is easy,quick connecting and fun when you drive it
brianj