Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #1

Which pickup to tow?

Someone told me once that one pickup company has a way of disonnecting the driveline with a push of a button, no need for driveline reconnect devices. Anyone know anything about this and which company's pickup has this?
Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Most late model GMC/Chevy 4 wheel drive pickups can put the transfer case in neutral by pushing a button or turning a knob.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I suspect just about any 4WD pickup with a neutral position in the transfer case (and that's pretty much all of them) is towable. Watch for the full-time AWD variants without a neutral position in the transfer case, though - they generally are not.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I pull a 08 GMC 4x4 auto that with a twist of button puts everything into neutral for towing.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

I've been towing my 2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4 behind our Discovery for four years with no problems at all. The owners manual explains exactly what to do. It's really easy and we have lots of room for motorcycle and bicycles. Good Luck
Jim R
Old 07-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Thumbs up

I ran into a guy who was overnighting in our park this morning who has an F-250 4x4 towing behind his MH. In talking to him he explained, and showed me, that Ford apparently can install a drive shaft disconnect option. It looks like an old time throttle release cable that (in his truck) was installed next to the drivers seat through the floorboard. He claimed that to tow, he starts, shifts into nutural, than pulls the cable to disengage, turns it off and ready to go. He claimed that it makes a heck of a racket when he re-engages after towing and that he's decided to look for another TOAD after this trip.

Curious, I went to the local Ford dealer later this morning to ask about this option. The local dealer claims they won't install it, although they would be happy to supply it from the parts department.

Like others, I've always thought you could pretty much tow anything 4x4 if you could simply disengage the transfer case. Sadly, in my search for a new TOAD, I'm finding out this isn't the case.

The search continues, and I find all you experts out there to be a great source of "ground truth" as I prod along. . .
Old 07-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just started towing a 2011 GMC Sierra crew cab with 4 wheel drive. Easy set up to tow, neutral,neutral on transfer case, back to park, pull key!
I used blue ox base plates, about 2 HR. install, Patriot brake system. First trip 2200 miles, no problems.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Like others, I've always thought you could pretty much tow anything 4x4 if you could simply disengage the transfer case. Sadly, in my search for a new TOAD, I'm finding out this isn't the case.
Have you looked at the GM 4x4 pick-ups? Colorado, Sierra, Silverado, etc?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
install a drive shaft disconnect option. It looks like an old time throttle release cable that (in his truck) was installed next to the drivers seat through the floorboard. He claimed that to tow, he starts, shifts into nutural, than pulls the cable to disengage, turns it off and ready to go. He claimed that it makes a heck of a racket when he re-engages after towing
What he described is the Remco Drive shaft disconnect. He probably had it installed at a Ford dealer and thought it came from Ford itself. Not so.

Some Ford 4x4 do not have a neutral on the transfer case. I think they call it "electronic shift on the fly", which I guess is convenient for winter driving but doesn't allow for towing.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
On mine (see sig. below), once I move the transfer case gear selector into neutral, the front and rear drivetrains are disconnected. And if you put the vehicle in park and don't set the parking brake when the transfer case is in neutral, you could get a big (and potentially dangerous) surprise.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I towed my Ford Explorer 4X4 after having Ford install a "chip". I was going to have the Remco Disconnect installed until Ron's Hith-n-tow in Junction City recommended the Ford "Chip". I now have a Ford Escape 4X4 and it only requires that you have a Ford Dealership adjust the transmission fluid level for 4 down towing and then run the engine while shifting through all the gears before towing. See the Motorhome Magazine web site for a yearly update on vehicles that can be towed 4 down.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #12

Sparky dog,
Can you send me a pic of the front of your truck with the base plates installed. I am trying to find a base plate that doesn't stick out past the front bumper on my 2012 silverado. No big deal if you can't just thought I would ask. I tried to pm you but the system wouldn't let me. I know this is an old post but i thought i would give it a shot Thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #13

Most late model Ford 4x4 with electronic shift transfer cases can be towed with the addition of Ford's neutral tow kit. This involves a simple programming change to the on board computer and the installation of an led indicator lamp under the dash. Some installs require an additional micro switch. Unfortunately Ford no longer offers this kit but you can do it yourself. The wiring for the 12v led is there from the factory under the dash but you will have to find a Ford dealer willing to do the computer reprogram. Don't know why Ford stopped offering the kit. Some say the original supplier went out of business. Maybe there were liability concerns. Supposedly there is an aftermarket supplier offering the kit but it is VERY overpriced.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I have towed a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4x4 without any problems. I am currently towing a 2008 Dakota 4x4 with no problems. Put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in park with the steering wheel in the UNLOCKED position disconnect the negative battery cable and go.

Jerry

jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote