Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
cwg

With the option of 18 or 19 inch wheels and tires for the Outlook, Acadia, or Enclave, do any of you have an opinion as to which wheel size would be preferable to tow four down?
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
cwg

With the option of 18 or 19 inch wheels and tires for the Outlook, Acadia, or Enclave, do any of you have an opinion as to which wheel size would be preferable to tow four down?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it makes any practical difference. In general, large wheels make fewer revolutions and thus run slightly cooler, but both sizes are large and heat should be insignificant anyway.

I have 18" on mine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
IMHO, it doesn't make one bit of difference.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
cwg

So it may boil down to "looks"? Also, does the larger wheel and tire size cause the vehicle to sit up higher in profile, or is that engineered into the vehicle to be the same?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By "wheels" I presume you mean "rims"; those things the tires are mounted on. Or do these "wheels" include the tires?

Any any case the larger the diameter of the tires the less revolutions the rim/tire will make, thus less wear and tear on the bears, etc. (Just as RV Roamer stated).

However, if you are reading the options sheet of the vehicle and are given two wheel diameters, they are referring to the rim diameter. The actual tire diameter will be the same in both cases, and there will be no difference when towing 4 down.

The best help I can give is that, in general, the larger the rim, the more expensive the tire will be when you replace it. My Sonata has 215/60R16 shoes, the upgraded wheel and tire is a 225/50R17. Even thought the rim is 1" larger, the 17" tire is lower profile, so both rim/tire combinations are the same diameter. Replacement tires for the 16" rim are $144, for the 17" rim $165 (Reference Michelin MXV4 from Discount Tires).

From what I have observed there is a $20-30 per tire premium for a 1" rim difference. You will save yourself some money on replacement tires by going with the smallest rim size available.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I learned a new one....19" tires are OE on GM?

If you are traveling the country, I'd stay away from the 19" wheel, and even take the 17" option if there is one. 19" tires will be like hens teeth. 18" is becoming more popular, but try finding that tire in a small town!

Other than that, lower profile tires are more susceptible to potholes and smaller loses of air.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
cwg

The 19 inch wheels are standard on the more luxurious versions of the three GM vehicles about which we are talking. The new Enclave even has a 20 inch wheel option listed in the brochure. No 17 inch wheels are available on any of the models. Again, this is on the Outlook, Acadia, and Enclave.

Thanks for the tips on replacement costs.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Here's 2 more cents on the tires. Car companies are designing these new vehicles with a size of tire that only a particular model uses. So the first few years the tires are only available from one or maybe two manufacturers.

Some models have a wait list for tires, with manufacturers only shipping tires with a Vin#, name, rank, and serial number on an emergency basis.

Even size rims (18"-20") probably will be easier to find than odd size 19" rim. 17" tires have been around for quite a few years and have numerous manufaturers. 19" has usually been built for only expensive european cars....BMW, MBZ, ect., and mostly in a ultra high performance configuration. A very premium price

Now let's talk 22.5"
Old 06-12-2007, 07:24 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why does rim size increase the cost of the tire? Demand, production costs?

Jeep Wrangler: 15" rims with 35-12.5R15 tire (yes, I off road).

Rim Size, Cost
15", $204
16.5", $238
17", $264
18", $328

I used these prices because they were online. I actually get the 15" versions for around $180, locally.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
cwg

In revisiting this subject again, a couple of us were out talking to various dealers about the choice of wheels from the ride and handling aspect... and, as you might imagine, the answers were quite varied.

One experienced saleman said the 19 inch tire and wheel combination caused the vehicle to have more pitch and roll; he had no data on this and it was more or less his personal opinion. A more thorough answer was provided by another dealership wherein the salesperson stated that at their training session of these new chassis', it was explained that the 19 inch wheel and tire combination rode better and that the tire was specifically designed for these wheels.

I am still trying to get a handle on the actual factual determination. It appears that with some of the options I desire, the 19 inch combo is the only way it can be ordered. (perhaps on the Enclave, that is.)