Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I have had some folks try to merge in between our toad on a dolly and the RV

A sign might have done some good...but if those drivers are that distracted, maybe not.

Safe travels
There is what. 3-6 feet between the Motor home and the towed. What is the IDIOT trying to merge in thinking? (Or rather can they think). I've seen big, and I mean BIG signs saying Ramp Closed Ahead, use alternate ramp just around the corner (Ok, not actual wording but the two ramps were less than a quarter mile apart and just around the corner).

Watched a couple hens in a top down convertable (I had a good view from the shotgun seat on a Ford F-350 custom), They passed perhaps 3 or 4 of those signs and finally pulled right up to the barricade with the RAMP CLOSED sign on it, best example of "When did they do that" look on their faces.

I am 100% sure a Car in tow sign would not have helped them at all..

Used to be a "Flasher" (no, not the idiot in the rain coat, a lighted arrow that blinks) on a freeway in Detroit,, This being an area without good sound supression they used a battery powered one.. Every day they had to re-set the postion cause people hit it.. This night the crew has just replaced the batteries so the lamps are at 100% brillance.. One of the two man team gets back in the truck as the other jumps over the wall to talk to a stranded motorist,, Just as #2's feet hit the pavement on the other side of the wall WHAM.. Idiot slams into the flasher, Batteries go flying (Thankfully the worker ducked so the wall took the hit, not him, and the other one was inside the truck, which took damage as well.

Fatal accident.

Some folks.. The only sign they respect is the one that says "All Ye Who Enter Here, Abandon All hope"

And I am not sure they will understand that one.. at least not for the first thousand years or so.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Those Car IN Tow signs are a courtesy sign so people don't think the RV is being tail-gated by the toad!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Those Car IN Tow signs are a courtesy sign so people don't think the RV is being tail-gated by the toad!
I think so. Fact is still, places that sell them all say, "Many states require them." and no one has yet to identify even one. All of these sites say the same. Probably lazy Cut and Paste.

RoadMaster "Car in Tow and Ready to Go" Sign Roadmaster Accessories and Parts RM-660

Warning Sign - Vehicle in Tow

Warning Sign, "Vehicle In Tow"

Roadmaster TOW SIGN "VEHICLE IN TOW" 770 - Value RV Parts

Or perhaps sales fiction.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
After having just our trailer,(never touched the TV) sideswiped by a cement truck trying the merge onto an interstate, I need a sign that says "Trailer in tow right behind us."

How he saw our truck but never saw the 30 foot long, 12 foot high white box behind us I will never know.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #19

I always thought the "car in tow" was a hold-over from the old days, when it was "kinda" legal to tow a car without having brake/turn signal lights.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I use one. It is one of those twist and fold things that go from being a circle to an oblong -- like a sunscreen for the windshield.

Yes, I know the other guy should see how close the car is to the coach and he should see the magnetic lights on the trunk lid. But it's just another layer of precaution that cost less than $10 and takes about 30 seconds to put on. It sits in the trunk with the lights when not being used.

Oh, the lettering is reflective so it can also be seen at night.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
I mostly put our magnetic sign "I go where I'm towed" for fun.