Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.smithjr View Post
Give some thought to buying an American car, for the sake of our North American economy.
I hear you but there is no such thing as an all American car anymore. The parts come from all over the place.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
StevenNSteph gave you very good advice. There is no magic vehicle that is better to tow than the others. A lot of people may like a certain type of vehicle because of what they can use it for other than towing, but that doesn't mean it would be the best vehicle for you to tow, especially if you're not interested in doing the things they are doing with theirs. Think about what you will be using the vehicle for when you are not pulling it behind your RV, then look at the different models and brands of vehicles that will easily allow you to do those things, and that are towable. Most vehicle manufacturers have more than 1 vehicle that they make that is capable of being towed. For us we wanted a comfortable vehicle that was small and light enough to easily tow with our RV, had an automatic transmission, 4 doors, the usual bells and whistles, room in back for groceries, golf clubs, or any other number of things we might need to take somewhere, and in our opinion looks good. We found a vehicle that fit what we were looking for, then looked on the internet at a car finding website to find all the dealers in our area (within a 150 mile radius) that had the same kind of vehicle on their lot. We then visited a couple and bought the one we did.

Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #17

Chevy Sonic

I have a 2013 Chevy Sonic, 4 dr hatchback, automatic. Its Lightweight under 3000 lb. Drives great and tows like a dream 4 down. Installed a fuse switch to turn off one fuse while towing.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
You could look at a Jeep(must be Trail Rated). I've read the Wrangler was rated #1 and the Liberty was rated #3. We purchased a 2006 Liberty 2 years ago.

Geno
rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #19

While the profits may go to Japan, consider the thousands of people employed by these companies and the suppliers who provide the parts. The Japanese and the Germans have built more new plants in this country, employing Americans than any of the so called big three.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
It would be a hard choice for me to choose a toad. Lighter is better for my needs. I would like something capable of off road but the I prefer hiking to driving on trails. I think I will eventually end up with a trailer for my motorcycle and maybe an ATV. This would allow me to fetch any groceries needed as well as something the wife and daughter can safely get around on at the camp. After all I am not full timing and when I get to a camp I want to enjoy being out and about as much as possible.

As for US vs foreign cars, I don't care where the profits go. I care about what is going to give me those most for my money. It's called competition and I fully support the free market. I am a US veteran and as far as I am concerned I put in my time to have the right to choose what I want parked in my garage.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The CR-V for all the years of it's production has been given a best buy rating by consumer reports. Ours was purchased as a daily driver and has 102,000 driven miles and about 40,000 tow miles. We find it a fine roomy silky smooth car to drive. Albeit a bit Spartan as some suggest; but durable, easily set up and towed, economical, practical with a number of safety features we like.. They have evolved in later years adding features and after listening and looking some of the changes do not please me and when we are done towing we may well opt for another vehicle. But the combination is hard to beat which is why they are popular as towed vehicles.

The Jeep line has not faired as well in consumer ratings but it seems not to matter to the loyal following. That is not a criticism just citing information to be considered. If I were in a different time of my life I would own one and if they had more daily practicality for my current life than my pick up I would own one now but not as a daily driver.

The dealership where I bought my CR-V looks quite profitable; just expanded, hired more people offered more services now. Providing good jobs for many people in Tacoma and the surrounding area.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #22

Which Toad?

I'm thinking about a jeep but not sure if I should buy new or used, and if I buy used which year is good used.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I'm thinking about a jeep but not sure if I should buy new or used, and if I buy used which year is good used.
Which model?
There are Wranglers and then there are she-jeeps. LOL.

Anything with a transfercase that can be put in neutral can be towed four-down.

As far as new or used, how long will you keep it and how many miles per year do you drive? How many other cars?

The new cherokee thing is pretty cool actually. I think it's got some fiat in it.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #24

Which Toad?

Just thinking about a basic two door jeep to be used as my main vehicle when camped to get groceries with and explore. I have no idea how many miles I'll put on it and Ill probably keep it as long as I keep the RV. But my plan is to get the toad before getting a class A.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #25

Any AWD automatics? I couldn't find one in the Dingy Guide.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #26

Honda cr-v is an awd automatic

2014 Entegra Aspire
2010 Honda CR-V
Old 06-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
yeah, I was gonna say CRV.

I don't know about the new Wrangler, but the ones that had a transfer case could be towed four-down with automatic. Later models of some 4x4's don't have a way to shift them into neutral and thus can't be towed - like Fords. But then a lot of the Ford automatics can be towed.

I've had a couple of Wranglers, and while they are arguably the toughest go-anywhere offroaders, they are horrible as a commuter/daily driver type of vehicle. They are noisy, rough riding, hard to get in and out of, and short on any kind of cargo space. So if you want a really great 4x4 for offroad going they are the ticket, otherwise not so much.

OTOH the liberty and compass never enjoyed the same kind of loyalty as the Wrangler. Any real offroaders thought they were crappy little vehicles. Plenty of people bought them and liked them though, basically when used as a car.

As mentioned, I thought the new Cherokee was pretty nice looking, otherwise I don't know anything about them. Here's another forum thread on setting one up to tow: Towing 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Towing - FMCA Motorhome Forums

EDIT: Here's a write-up/review on it....not so flattering. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...jeep-cherokee/

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 1/2 ton 4x4 Extended Cab Silverado. Seats 6, hauls a load and will tow 5k. Gets~18mpg. Our MH barely notices it.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad