Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Which Toad?

Is there a tow vehicle used more often than not? I know it varies, but there must be one vehicle that is more suitable than others as a toad, for a Class A RV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #2

Jeep

Old 03-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Honda CR-V and Jeep Wrangler are most likely the most popular toads. It's unscientific because we do not have an actual count but you see these more than other vehicles. Nice difference between them so plenty to consider about your needs and wants.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who knew?

We did lots of research before buying a coach but zero on the towed. We owned a Honda CRV. Many vehicles cannot be towed four wheels down they say. Who knew? You've asked a very good question.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Is there a tow vehicle used more often than not? I know it varies, but there must be one vehicle that is more suitable than others as a toad, for a Class A RV.
No there is not one vehicle that is more suitable than another. There are vehicles off all types from zippy 2 seater sport cars, to economical sub-compacts to SUV's to serious off-roading 4X4 Jeeps to trucks. So decide what type of vehicle that you want and then find one in that category that is towable 4 down.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
The ones I see the most of out there are Hondas and Jeeps.
BamBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a toad that I would be happy driving each day as well. It wasn't going to be a CRV or any other Honda appliance car. The Wrangler seems to be the choice we made. I drive it day, my commute is only 5 miles, and it works well behind the RV. So far at 107k miles, I'm very happy. Ours is a 2007 Wrangler Sahara 4 Door with an automatic.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
It wasn't going to be a CRV or any other Honda appliance car.

Appliance car? Please explain.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Appliance car? Please explain.
No offense on Hondas. I wanted a car that was more than just a commuter / grocery getter. Having only one car meant I would want something that would serve more than one purpose. The Wrangler serves many. It's good for off road exploring, commuting, (gas mileage isn't to bad at 19-20mpg), it can carry stuff from the hardware store and it tows very well. I look at Toyota, Honda, nissan ect. as appliance cars. They have no distinct personality. They are meant to drive from "A to B" with no drama. Again, please no flaming.
You didn't mention if you had a fleet of cars to choose from or was just adding to your collection a toad car.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For me, the top three choices are:
1. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door)
2. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door)
3. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door)

Other than that.. I might consider a 2 door when the kids are out of the house?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
Give some thought to buying an American car, for the sake of our North American economy. By this I mean a car that is substantially built in the USA or Canada; and the profits stay here too. Don't tell me your Japanese car is built in America; the profits go to Tokyo!
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you are making your decision based on majority rule, then I'm in for a Jeep too. 2 door, 4 door, Wrangler, GC, Liberty... whatever you like best.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #13

There is no one best carefor towing. Everyone has different needs and wants. The best toad is the one that works for you. If you want to go boonie bashing then a Jeep Renegade, if you want economy then a Smart Car, and then there is everything in between.
A CRV will tow just as good as a Jeep which will tow just as good as a Subaru, or a Fiat, or a GMC, or.........
Take a look at Motorhomes "Dingy Towing Guide". This is a list of vehicles that can be towed four down and what procedures to follow and any extra equipment that might be needed.
Get one you like because you will be driving it more than towing it.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lighter is better IMO. My target has always been at or under 3K lbs. It just makes grades, stopping, and towing SO much easier.

If you have a big-block diesel then by all means tow whatever you want. LOL. My sis tows a Silverado 4dr 4x4 with a cap and the bed loaded with stuff. But they are in a 45' DP with 600hp.

The short 2-dr wrangler with inline four and six were just over 3K lbs and if you can deal with the rough ride and utility manner of it they're great - have had a couple of them. The inline 6 was a much better driver. The newer ones with the V6 and bigger ones with 4 doors weigh much more so they dropped off my list. The good news is they have a transfer case that can be put in neutral so you can tow the automatic.

Not very many toads will go 4-down (a necessity IMO) with automatic trans - Hondas, Fords, most Chevys, but that's about it. None of the foreign cars AFAIK.

I've had two very excellent toads, a 2008 Scion Xb and now the Subaru Crosstrek SV. Both were 4cyl-stick which was fine with us, get great mileage, and are both right about 3K lbs. Very easy to tow and a fun car to drive when not motorhoming, and are cute and sporty to boot.

CRV makes a good toad but a little too boring and definitely the 'appliance' feel to them. They will tow with AT though so are very popular as a tow car.

The saturns used to be really popular because they could be towed with automatic. My gawd they were ugly and cheap cars though.

The Japanese 4-cyls with manual trans can be towed. Also be sure to look for a baseplate from Roadmaster or BlueOx before you buy - you don't want to get stuck with no way to hook a tow-bar to it.

Love this 'toad'

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad