Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #15

We tow a Honda Element EX. It was what was available used when we bought our MH in Tuscon. It was a gfadt deal and we couldn't find a VRV or HHR in our budget.
It seats only 4. Plenty of cargo area as the seat fold up, can be taken out etc
Its mpg is fine but it certainly is not made for a long road trip.
I don't think I would purchase another.

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #16
srh

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2010 Honda CRV, but I like for towing my 2008 Ford Sport Trac. It is four doors, rides well and above all very easy to hook up using my NSA Brute Elite tow bar. It drives like a car and very comfortable riding even for passengers in the back seat. There has been several occasions where I have had a dead battery on my Honda after a long tow, but not with the Ford. I have towed it over 1,000 mi during two days and left it hooked up overnight and didn't affect the battery.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Several people have mentioned the CRV battery is too small and some have replaced it with a more substantial battery. I have had a dead battery after a long tow. Never had this issue when we towed our 95 Accord, (5 speed manual)
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
Several people have mentioned the CRV battery is too small and some have replaced it with a more substantial battery. I have had a dead battery after a long tow. Never had this issue when we towed our 95 Accord, (5 speed manual)
$200 will completely solve your dead battery problem for good.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
$200 will completely solve your dead battery problem for good.

Do you mean get a bigger battery? Or install a charing line or a charger? Explain, please.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #20

Replace the stock battery with the best you can afford. Mine was from Costco. That solved that. My DW won't drive a manual transmission, so the Honda was our only option because the most important thing to me is reliability. Which excludes Jeeps. I learned that lesson the hard way! I would seriously consider a Subaru, except to be towed, they must be manuals. I like to say that I love our 2010, but it does not fit my self image. I no longer compare it to the high performance vehicles we used to drive that cost two or three times what it did. As I've gotten to know it's drive characteristics, I've learned how to get the most out of it's gearing. It is a great vehicle all the way around! I may well pick up a 2015 'Vette when we come off the road, but you can bet our CRV will be with us as long as it will run. And that's a very, very long time.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
Do you mean get a bigger battery? Or install a charing line or a charger? Explain, please.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Sorry, I had been on a couple threads on this subject. See the attached link. There are Honda P/N's for the battery box (under $20 for both pieces) and photos of the installed battery. The highest CCA battery I could find was 900 (compared to the OEM 400) and was about $160 with five year warranty. I also have a charge line from my issues prior to changing the battery but with the new one, I don't think it would be required. I didn't have one for my previous Ford Taurus and never had a dead battery with it. The last straw for me was when I stopped to fill with gas, left the lights on for maybe 10 minutes max and the battery was stone dead. The new 2015 CRV's have the larger battery.

Dead Battery on Honda CRV
Old 08-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #22

you can buy his little unit from Roadmaster and have it installed, or you can make your own for less then $20.
http://roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/electrical/fusemaster.html

Or you can crawl under the dash and pull the fuse that runs the radio while you are towing. Pulling the fuse is a pain, putting it back is worse.

I am not sure a larger battery solves the problem if you tow multiple days without driving / charging the toad. Wouldn't think so.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa7yy View Post
you can buy his little unit from Roadmaster and have it installed, or you can make your own for less then $20.
http://roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/electrical/fusemaster.html

Or you can crawl under the dash and pull the fuse that runs the radio while you are towing. Pulling the fuse is a pain, putting it back is worse.

I am not sure a larger battery solves the problem if you tow multiple days without driving / charging the toad. Wouldn't think so.
Again, I do not pull fuses, leave the ign on ACC and have toad two long days without unhooking at night. Start the car in the AM and run for a few minutes to lube the transmission and gone. Never even close to a dead battery since the change.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
We've towed our 2011 Equinox for 2 yrs and no problem. We run a Brake Buddy and no battery problems. Each time we stop, we just start the car, which charges the battery and takes care of transmission lubing.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Sorry, I had been on a couple threads on this subject. See the attached link. There are Honda P/N's for the battery box (under $20 for both pieces) and photos of the installed battery. The highest CCA battery I could find was 900 (compared to the OEM 400) and was about $160 with five year warranty. I also have a charge line from my issues prior to changing the battery but with the new one, I don't think it would be required. I didn't have one for my previous Ford Taurus and never had a dead battery with it. The last straw for me was when I stopped to fill with gas, left the lights on for maybe 10 minutes max and the battery was stone dead. The new 2015 CRV's have the larger battery.

Dead Battery on Honda CRV
Ok Dennis, I get it, you went the $200 solution. I don't pull fuses either, I went the way to expensive $70 solution and after I looked at the parts knew I could of done it for $20. Looks like 3 versions to get to the same place. The free version, pull the fuse sucks. But depending on you situation it might be only twice a year, coming and going.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post
We've decided that our next RV will be a smaller (37ish ft) class A but want to buy our TOAD first. We've of course been watching all the RVs here in Port Townsend to see what they are towing and it seems that the Honda CR-V is a favorite.

We test drove a few of them (used) today and were pleased with the ride height vehicle's refinement and comfort but they were a bit disappointing in acceleration and passing performance.

Before combing through the Dinghy Guide once again I thought we'd do well to register here and ask for ideas based on the above and the below:

2005-2010 (highly dependable, out of warranty will be fine)
Ease of use as a TOAD
Can carry 4 comfortably, 5 in relative comfort.
Efficient for commuter duties.
Capable for trailhead access.
Blue Tooth capabilities for phone connections would be nice but I can install an aftermarket stereo to add this if forced to.
OK passing lane performance. (I'v been driving BMWs, Mini Coopers and so on for too long perhaps.)

We're not completely ruling out a used CR-V, but would like to know if we've overlooked a contender.

Thanks!
We love our CRV AWD!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveht View Post
I love my Honda Toad!
But no longer towable as of 15 , great day when I traded my Honda Fit on my Jeep Cherokee - more room, off roading capability, and nice safety and comfort features not to mention the V6 rocks
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #28

So I recently purchased a 2014 CRV based on the 2014 Motorhome magazine "dinghy towing guide" and it talks about the procedure for towing the 14 model four down. The Honda manual is not so encouraging, however. Where is the towing procedure written?

Thanks,
Curt

Tags
toad