Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #15

cooltech
pros: easy install, cheaper
cons: may cause electrical feedback between MH/Jeep, turns signal cancels when brakes is depressed (does not use brakes and turn signals independently).

Mopar
pros, isolates electrical feedback between MH/Jeep (uses isolation relays mounted on the mopar harness). designed to use brakes and turn signal.
cons expensive, install not that simple (requires fender/liner removal and drilling a big hole).

I have the Mopar with the Readybrute... towed 10K miles so far, my 10 year old son could hook and unhook the Jeep in 5 minutes (of course with supervision).

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
cooltech
cons: may cause electrical feedback between MH/Jeep, turns signal cancels when brakes is depressed (does not use brakes and turn signals independently).

Mopar
pros, isolates electrical feedback between MH/Jeep (uses isolation relays mounted on the mopar harness). designed to use brakes and turn signal.
cons expensive, install not that simple (requires fender/liner removal and drilling a big hole).

I have the Mopar with the Readybrute... towed 10K miles so far, my 10 year old son could hook and unhook the Jeep in 5 minutes (of course with supervision).
Thank you Redridge, just what I was looking for. I too have narrowed it down to the Cool Tech and the Mopar. Given how little I'll be flat-towing, I'm not sure if I should go the easy route with the Cool Tech install and just pull the brake light fuse every time I tow, or do it the best way and install the Mopar and not have to worry about anything ever again. I'm leaning towards the Mopar because it also does not have a plate that needs to be mounted on front of vehicle.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #17

Not having that plate is a big plus, we go off road a lot and not having to worry about the front end is priceless. The Currie baseplate also acts as a skid plate... So, my jeep looks stock and can't even tell its a toad vehicle.

As for the install... It is an extra mile, but mopar did it right with this cable. Some people had problems with this cable... But in all reality, it is not the cables' fault, it was actually the 7 pin connector on the towing vehicles end... One of the pins did not have constant power on it.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Not having that plate is a big plus, we go off road a lot and not having to worry about the front end is priceless. The Currie baseplate also acts as a skid plate... So, my jeep looks stock and can't even tell its a toad vehicle.

As for the install... It is an extra mile, but mopar did it right with this cable. Some people had problems with this cable... But in all reality, it is not the cables' fault, it was actually the 7 pin connector on the towing vehicles end... One of the pins did not have constant power on it.
I will just copy you then Redridge, considering we both have 2014 Thors and 2013 Wranglers
Old 07-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #19

Quote:
cooltech
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Thank you Redridge, just what I was looking for. I too have narrowed it down to the Cool Tech and the Mopar. Given how little I'll be flat-towing, I'm not sure if I should go the easy route with the Cool Tech install and just pull the brake light fuse every time I tow, or do it the best way and install the Mopar and not have to worry about anything ever again. I'm leaning towards the Mopar because it also does not have a plate that needs to be mounted on front of vehicle.
I've been using the cheaper and easier to install CoolTech for 7 months. None of the above cons are true for me. Turn signal still works with brakes depressed. Does not cause electrical feedback between MH/Jeep. No need to pull any fuses. Leave key in my pocket because my Jeep has no steering wheel lock.

Mopar I have no experience with. My research before purchasing CoolTech told me the Mopar was expensive and difficult to install.

I think you can be happy with either of the two.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #20

Cooltech worked for me, 2014 Rubicon.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
I've been using the cheaper and easier to install CoolTech for 7 months. None of the above cons are true for me. Turn signal still works with brakes depressed. Does not cause electrical feedback between MH/Jeep. No need to pull any fuses. Leave key in my pocket because my Jeep has no steering wheel lock.

Mopar I have no experience with. My research before purchasing CoolTech told me the Mopar was expensive and difficult to install.

I think you can be happy with either of the two.

Interesting. I have emailed cool tech for clarification on the brake light / turn signal issue.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting. I have emailed cool tech for clarification on the brake light / turn signal issue.
From Cool Tech:
"Hi jd,

Technically, yes. But keep in mind that most of the aux braking systems are not overly aggressive. In other words, they typically aren't one for one when your foot is on the brake. As such, the "wash-out" will not be that long of a period. Also, this "wash-out" is going to happen with pretty much anything you do..... even if you ran seperate bulbs and sockets. When the Jeep activivates it own brake lights (because it doesn't "know" that a signal is on), then the effect is going to occur. It is not a peculiarity of our solution. In summary, you either live with the wash-outs or you remove the brake light fuse. If you choose to remove the brake light fuse, please zip-tie it to your steering wheel or similar so that you don't forget to re-install it! "

So I don't see how Osok could NOT be having this issue without pulling his brake light fuse. I agree with Cool Tech that it's not a huge deal. The likelihood of me slamming on the brakes with my turn signal on is low...
Old 07-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #23

Quote:
From Cool Tech:
"Hi jd,

Technically, yes. But keep in mind that most of the aux braking systems are not overly aggressive. In other words, they typically aren't one for one when your foot is on the brake. As such, the "wash-out" will not be that long of a period. Also, this "wash-out" is going to happen with pretty much anything you do..... even if you ran seperate bulbs and sockets. When the Jeep activivates it own brake lights (because it doesn't "know" that a signal is on), then the effect is going to occur. It is not a peculiarity of our solution. In summary, you either live with the wash-outs or you remove the brake light fuse. If you choose to remove the brake light fuse, please zip-tie it to your steering wheel or similar so that you don't forget to re-install it! "

So I don't see how Osok could NOT be having this issue without pulling his brake light fuse. I agree with Cool Tech that it's not a huge deal. The likelihood of me slamming on the brakes with my turn signal on is low...
JDWKY, you are correct and thanks for clearing this up so that misinformation does not continue. I had asked a friend to check my lights and he responded everything working okay. I probably was not clear in my question to him on what I was wanting checked. I will recheck next time hooked up to verify. I must admit I am now a little disappointed that CoolTech does not let you know prior to purchase.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #24

If the jeep and the towing vehicle are trying to turn on the same light... This is may cause a feedback issue, you may not notice it by looking at the lights, but electrically, mixing different voltage source is a no no... Like I said, the mopar cable isolates the power from each vehicle. In other words, all the power comes from the towing vehicle without mixing power with the jeep to turn on those rear lights... But, there seems to be satisfied customers with the cool tech so... Good for them. I'm just anal with stuff like this...
Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
If the jeep and the towing vehicle are trying to turn on the same light... This is may cause a feedback issue, you may not notice it by looking at the lights, but electrically, mixing different voltage source is a no no... Like I said, the mopar cable isolates the power from each vehicle. In other words, all the power comes from the towing vehicle without mixing power with the jeep to turn on those rear lights... But, there seems to be satisfied customers with the cool tech so... Good for them. I'm just anal with stuff like this...
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions y'all. I have decided to go with the Mopar harness and plan to install it Sunday. Have read the instructions and tips here and on the inter-web. Looking forward to tackling it. Installed the ReadyBrake system yesterday. It went on with out a hitch, other than trying to decide on front conduit installation point, since I have an aftermarket bumper now. Not really happy with current location and may move it after seeing how this all looks hooked up. Excited for first trip ever towing a toad in 2 weeks!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Installed the Mopar harness yesterday. Was much easier than I expected. Probably helped studying these forums and the manual so much beforehand. Having the right tools is always crucial too. Took an hour and a half. Hardest part was deciding on where to do the hole in firewall since the instructions told me to do it in the same spot where a metal bracket was. Had to go a little lower but was no big deal. Used a 1.5" hole saw instead of a 1.25" as called for and was glad I did. Grommet fit perfectly, couldn't imagine trying to get the grommet into a smaller hole. Somewhere I previously read that someone had trouble with fitting grommet... I'm ready to tow!!

Tags
toad, wiring