Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Question Which toad wiring harness is best?

I've been researching and researching on the best way to setup my '13 Jeep Wrangler for flat towing. I've narrowed everything down but am curious on what is the difference or pros/cons to these wiring harnesses:
  1. Cool Tech
  2. Mopar
  3. or Blue Ox

What's the best of these 3?? We will not be towing very frequently. Want something simple to install. For the rest of the setup, here's the plan:
It's tough finding a used ReadyBrute tow bar though... If I can find a cheaper, used tow bar/Brake Buddy combo, I may go that route instead.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Just found this other option, seems to be cheapest one. Now I have four to choose from!?!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #3

I have installed and used the Cool-Tech for 2 years on my 12 JK with no problems. You may want to consider using the Toad Charger to keep your battery charged if your breaking system uses 12V power.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I have installed and used the Cool-Tech for 2 years on my 12 JK with no problems. You may want to consider using the Toad Charger to keep your battery charged if your breaking system uses 12V power.
Thanks. I'm sure all of these choices will work well. I'm really looking for info on the pros/cons for each, or which one of the 4 is the simplest to install. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #5

I purchased the item below at Camping World and a 4 x 6 adapter to plug it into the motorhome.

Taillight Wiring Kit with Bulbs
Catalog Item # 17538
This Item is In-Stock and Ready to Ship
Internet SALE
$62.83 SAVE $17.52
Reg $80.35

Description

Install your own Tail Light Wiring Kit with Bulbs and avoid splicing into your vehicle's electrical systems.
A self-contained wiring system that bypasses your towed vehicle’s lighting with a set of independent plugs and sockets mounted inside the taillights. Wiring is routed from the taillights to the grille area.Since the towed vehicle’s electrical system is bypassed, this kit eliminates the concern of interacting with any vehicle electronics.
Important: the towed vehicle’s taillights must have room for an extra socket and bulb inside the lens housing.

Technical Specs
Tech Specs
Weight: 1.7 lbs.

Manufacturer: Roadmaster Inc

Mfg Part #: 155

93 Southwind
2001 Saturn SC2 toad
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Nobody knows any differences on these? From my research it appears the mopar one is the only one that doesn't have to be routed all the way across the jeep. Looks like it connects behind glove box. Seems easier but after reading the installation instructions it may not be faster after all...
Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #7

Since I only installed the Cool-Tech it was very easy, unplugged wiring in left rear tail light install in line with OEM plug, route wire through frame using fish tape and wire to plug install ground wire to frame. When you have the MH lights on the side marker lights on the Jeep come on. I have read the Mopar plug can be difficult to install.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
FYI… I didn’t like any of the choices available to me when I bought my 2012 Jeep Wrangler, so I made my own wiring harness. Bought the connectors I wanted at NAPA, not your standard Jeep connectors. Wire, I had some good stuff, so used that.

I know some wouldn’t be comfortable doing this, but I spliced into the Jeep’s wiring harness, and added connectors. For me, the nice part is I can quickly and easily bypass the harness that connects to the motorhome without taking anything apart (no tools necessary).

I moved the entire setup from my 2012 to my 2014 Jeep Wrangler, no problem..
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:46 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Nobody knows any differences on these? From my research it appears the mopar one is the only one that doesn't have to be routed all the way across the jeep. Looks like it connects behind glove box. Seems easier but after reading the installation instructions it may not be faster after all...
jdwky ... I don't know the differences in the different options ... but really like the Mopar. I am sure you saw my posting of the install, but here it is if you did not. I have used it a lot in the past several months and it works great ... once you get the install part behind you!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/mopar...ml#post1999444

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, great write up!! It makes the other options sound simpler to install though.
Do the other options like the Cool Tech need a brake light relay? The Hopkins one mentions needing it but Cool Tech does not, yet they seem to install in a similar manner. I plan to purchase the Readybrute elite, so it will be yanking on the brake pedal, I don't want the brake pedal brake light canceling out a turn signal from the MH. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:31 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
Nice part about the Ready Brute tow bar he is going to buy, no power needed for the brakes, they are built into the tow bar.

Like George, I also made my own wiring harness with a boat trailer kit from Walmart and changed the plug to the round Blue Ox base-plate plug. It is really simple with the diagrams all over the internet and a couple of diodes from Radio Shack..
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #12

We had the Mopar wiring harness installed on our 2012 Wrangler Unlimited works well, be sure your motorhome connection has power to it. With the Mopar wiring harness there are no issues warranty wise if you have any electrical problems.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #13

I am on my second Jeep with Cool Tech. No problems.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
I am on my second Jeep with Cool Tech. No problems.
Thanks. I'm sure all of these choices will work well. I'm really looking for info on the pros/cons for each, or which one of the 4 is the simplest to install. Thanks!

Tags
toad, wiring