Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
which tow bar

Hi
another newbie here!

just got the Itasca 2009 Suncruiser IFK35P and now we need a towbar
the tow vehicle is:
2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe - podium edition
the weight is:
2751 lb

four two quotes
- two recommended the Demco Excali-bar
- one recommended the Demco Aluminator
- one recommended the Blue Ox

is the Demco Excali-bar "too much tow bar"

THANKS for your help
peter

pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
paz

You can't go wrong with most of the major brands. A lot comes down to personal preference and features such as aluminum vs. steel, weight rating, etc. Sometimes people end up with a certain brand because that's what their local RV dealer sells. That may be a factor if you're not going to do your own installation of the base plate.

I am partial to Blue Ox because I liked the way the base plate looked without the tow bar attached, so I ended up with their tow bar as well. Many of the tow bars have adapters available to change from one brand of base plate to another brand of tow bar, so that isn't a limiting factor either.

Since I did my own base plate installation, another reason I picked Blue Ox is they have all the instructions available online (other manufacturers do as well) so I could see what I was getting in for before I placed my order.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Peter, Since your in Canada you are probably required to have brakes in your toad. For that reason I just went with the Ready Brute with integrated Ready Brake. Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - Night Shift Auto
I like the idea of a true proportional / mechanical system. On our recent trip I stopped at Ready Brake in Iola Ks and was impressed with the people as well. Ended up buying the bar. They can supply you with ends for Demco, Roadmaster or Blue ox base plates. I opted for Blue ox, because as a previous poster said, it looks better with the pins removed. Also the price was good.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree the Ready Brake may be an answer and will modify the prior reply only to say that nearly ALL states in the US require brakes too.. There is a chart somewhere that tells what states do and do not have language requiring brake systems on a car in tow but the chart is less than accurate.. For example it says MICHIGAN does not.. I have a copy of the Michigan Vehicle Code and it most clearly DOES require brakes on trailers over so many pounds, and the way it defines a trailer a car towed 4-down is, in fact, a better fit than most genuine trailers (Ok, so it's a bad definition but it a car towed 4 down is 100% a trailer under Michigan Law)

Plus heaven forbid an accident.. Civil law is a real pain in the wallet and it will require you to take reasonable safety precautions. That includes brake systems

The Ready Brake tow bars satisfy this requirement and do it very well.

That said.. I have the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator (An electric over hydraulic system) on my towed and use the Blue-Ox Tow bar

I will add one more tow bar to your consideration: Roadmaster

I can tell you from personal experience that Blue Ox's customer Service is fantastic.. I give them a very strong A+.. I have read posts by others here and in other forums talking about Roadmaster's customer service.. And it appears to be every bit as good. (I have dealt with them some too on another product and have no complaints) I have never heard of the other company the O/P mentioned.

I've never heard a bad word about Ready-Brake, Blue-OX or Roadmaster in fact (Save on one product which the bad word was they were taking too long re-designing it... I have that product too, and no problems, NOTE: They re-designed it a few years back)

I would not hesitate to recommend Blue-Ox, Roadmaster or Ready-Brake.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thank you everyone - very helpful - and most appreciated.

as for the rules of the road and towing....
two sites i found to be helpful were:

1. towing world gives simple chart - with lots of information;
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

2. if you like an interactive map - here is something from brake buddy;
Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

regards, peter
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstonebay View Post
Peter, Since your in Canada you are probably required to have brakes in your toad. For that reason I just went with the Ready Brute with integrated Ready Brake. Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - Night Shift Auto
I like the idea of a true proportional / mechanical system. On our recent trip I stopped at Ready Brake in Iola Ks and was impressed with the people as well. Ended up buying the bar. They can supply you with ends for Demco, Roadmaster or Blue ox base plates. I opted for Blue ox, because as a previous poster said, it looks better with the pins removed. Also the price was good.
X2 here. Couldn't be happier with our set up.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote