Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #1

which truck to get?

hope you all can help me filter out some info.

we are planning to tow 4 wheels down and put a vulcan 900 cruiser in the back. my current truck is a f-150 only 2 wheel drive and cannot be towed 4 wheels down. so, I will be trading it for something else.

any suggestions for a long bed, quad cab/super or other, manual? needed?

I like dodge but will go with another. doesn't have to be diesel.

any help appreciated!

thanks, cheryl

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think Ford,Chevy or Dodge are great trucks and it is a personal preference. Obviously you should drive the three and pick what you like. If you carry alot of passengers you might want the quad cab but make sure you have the bed length for your Vulcan. If not carring alot of passengers I personally would opt for the smaller cab.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Please consider putting the make/model/yr of your coach as a signature so that info will be shown in all your posts. It will help our members help you.

Click on User CP (at the top of any page)
Click on Edit Signature (under Settings & Options)

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I just bought a truck in May. Had made up my mind to try the Ford 4x4 but found out for some strange reason they CAN NOT be towed!!! I assumed they would because of the 4x4, NOT! I wound up back in the Dodge Crew cab. Still love the dodge, cheaper than the Ford and with more standard options. I am very pleased and happy with it. It is my 3rd dodge in 4 years. I hook in about less than 5 min. I also looked at the chevy but it was more expensive and had less options and features than the Dodge. No brainer there. Also, on the dodge if you just turn the key to the "Access" position instead of the "On" position your steering wheel will NOT lock and the mileage does NOT increase. Definitely a plus. If you put in the "On" position it will increment your odometer. This is on the 2010 4x4 Ram 1500. I have the Blue Ox and the SMI Braking control. AWESOME!!!!
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I tow my Tundra with a bike about the same size as yours in the bed. The big challenge is weight. Ours weighs about 5K lbs, close to 6 with the bike. The last time I checked, the full size trucks are running much higher in weight than that. I believe at least a 6 ft bed is important when hauling a bike, so many of the smaller trucks are ruled out, particularly if you want a 4 door cab. To keep the weight down, I suggest looking at the long-bed Toyota Tacoma or a Ford Ranger, the Tacoma will require a driveshaft disconnect and the Ranger is not available with anything larger than an extended cab. If something happened to my Tundra, I would either find a used 04-06 Tundra or go with the Tacoma. I have not had any problems with the disconnect after more than six years of use.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #6

dodge dakota 4x4
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGirl View Post
hope you all can help me filter out some info.

we are planning to tow 4 wheels down and put a vulcan 900 cruiser in the back. my current truck is a f-150 only 2 wheel drive and cannot be towed 4 wheels down. so, I will be trading it for something else.

any suggestions for a long bed, quad cab/super or other, manual? needed?

I like dodge but will go with another. doesn't have to be diesel.

any help appreciated!

thanks, cheryl
Cheryl,

Unless you just want to purchase a new truck you might be able to tow your F-150 4 wheels down with some cheaper modifications. Check this site to see what it would require.

Application Charts | Remco Towing

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #8

thanks to everyone

just wanted to say thanks for all the replies! I've got my research work cut out for me!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #9

Instead of spending $1500.00 on the Remco Driveshaft disconnect to flat tow your F150 or investing $$$ in a new vehicle I would first consider a $5.00 12mm wrench and removing the 4 bolts connecting the driveshaft to the differential yoke - slide it out and store it in the bed. Problem solved. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes to do.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #10

so let me get this straight, I can just unhook it from underneath and stow it in the back? is there any lube pump involved? will fluid leak out? thanks!
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #11

What year is your F150? Longbed or shortbed? Extended cab or regular cab?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGirl View Post
so let me get this straight, I can just unhook it from underneath and stow it in the back? is there any lube pump involved? will fluid leak out? thanks!
Some fluid may leak out going up steep grades if you have a one-piece shaft. If it's two-piece no fluid will leak. Make sure that the u-joint caps and the needles inside stay intact. Secure the caps with masking or duct tape during travel.
J
Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Some fluid may leak out going up steep grades if you have a one-piece shaft. If it's two-piece no fluid will leak. Make sure that the u-joint caps and the needles inside stay intact. Secure the caps with masking or duct tape during travel.
J
You can also go to a salvage yard and get a driveshaft yoke to put in the back of the transmission when you take the driveshaft out to keep the fluid from leaking out. Use safety wire to keep it from slipping out. Nothing else like a lube pump will be required.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Instead of spending $1500.00 on the Remco Driveshaft disconnect to flat tow your F150 or investing $$$ in a new vehicle I would first consider a $5.00 12mm wrench and removing the 4 bolts connecting the driveshaft to the differential yoke - slide it out and store it in the bed. Problem solved. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes to do.
Just don't put it in a spot you need to back up and have to unhook.....with no drive shaft

bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote