Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I personally think it's a good idea to have brakes on the toad. I just received my ReadyBrute Elite through Fed Ex today and I am very impressed with the construction of the tow bar. NSA has made some upgrades to the bar that I wasn't aware of until now. They've added grease zerks so you can keep the tow bar legs lubricated and included a hole in each leg that can be used to lock the leg in the extended position with a 1/2" bent pin in an emergency situation to get you to where you can make permanent repairs. I ordered the tow bar, clevis, and break away kit from Adventure.Net and am very happy with the price. Everything was delivered to my door 5 days after I placed the order.
Did you buy the ReadyBrake also? I'm looking at the adventureRV site right now and they have the whole package for about $200 less than the quote I got from NSA. Is that right?

R
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SMI Stay-N-Play Duo just flip a switch plug in lights and hookup breakaway ready to go
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #31

Lots of opinions on this topic.

I have a 13 yr old Brake Buddy.
Works.
Other opinions may vary.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #32

I would think alot depends on your coach. If you have air brakes, then that sets in place one course of action. Hydraulic brake led to another system. Our coach has air brakes. We opted for a Roadmaster baseplate for our Vue. Quite easy to install if you are handy with tools.
Our brake system is a Roadmaster Brakemaster system. Expensive if you purchase from CW. Look on Ebay. Lots of value. The system is connected to the air service brake system with relatively simple connections and air lines. Works great. 40,000 miles experience with towing the Vue.
One key element to towing is how the Toad is set up for towing. The steering wheel needs to be free to swing right or left as the coach turns. The steering lock needs to be unlocked which activates the ignition system. We installed a cut off switch to the 30amp ignition fuse with a toggle switch in the Vue. Works great.
Hook up the tow bar. Connect the air lines for the brakes, connect the electric light lines, turn off the Vue ignition. Tow the Toad.
Regards,
Jim
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #33

Thanks Jim, but I don't think we have air brakes. I'm pretty sure we have hydraulic brake system with a pump of some kind. Not sure yet at this point. I do know that when I step on the brake pedal I can here something running. This motorhome stuff is all new to us. We towed a fifth wheel trailer all over the U.S. for three years and I knew it inside out. But now I am in the beginning of the new learning curve.

Ray
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
Did you buy the ReadyBrake also? I'm looking at the adventureRV site right now and they have the whole package for about $200 less than the quote I got from NSA. Is that right?

R
Read up on the ReadyBrute Elite- it includes the ReadyBrake, that's why it's called the "Elite". I don't think you can find another tow bar/brake system that will come close to the price of the ReadyBrute Elite!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake