Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #29

I used the Hopkins light wire harness, Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar and M&G brake system. Connecting is first the tow bar, then the safety cables, the 7-6 wire harness, the air connection for brakes and finally the wire lanyard for the breakaway. Takes just a couple minutes and can do it by myself.

On the Hopkins, it comes with the flat 4 connector. Cut that off and connected it to a 6 pole round. Gives me 2 extra poles, one of which is now the M&G alert light. If I ever need a charging wire, have that capability.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #30

I'm going with the Mopar harness, Blue Ox tow bar, Rock Hard bumper instead of a base plate, and the M&G brake system.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
I'm going with the Mopar harness, Blue Ox tow bar, Rock Hard bumper instead of a base plate, and the M&G brake system.
Sounds like an excellent plan. I wish now I had gone with the RockHard bumper with the tow attachments. When I set mine up to tow, I installed a Demco base plate under the stock bumper. It works great, but recently I wanted to change to an aftermarket bumper. The one I installed works perfectly with the Demco base plate, but now I wish I had gone with the integrated bumper initially.

By the way, I did not like the pigtail connectors on the Mopar harness, so I eliminated them and installed a 6 pin trailer connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MoparPlugReplacement.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	123218  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #32

So far the Decisions are to use the mopar harness, dealer installed, and the Blue Ox tow bars And base plate.

Am still debating the brake system. The US Gear Unified Tow Brake or the RVibrake2 are currently the top choices.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #33

Dies anyone use LoD bumper with the tow bar tabs welded on. I was look at that over Roch Hard 4*4.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #34

Mopar Jeep Wrangler Wiring Harness

I went with the Mopar wiring harness and had the local dealer install it in our 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. With the exception of the Blue Ox tow bar, this is the only modification to the Jeep.

The Fleetwood's 7 Way connector was a mess and it needed to be replaced and completely rewired. The RV now has combined Turn Signal and Brake wires for each side, the running lights, a ground, and what appears to be a disconnected trailer brake signal. Turns out the 12V power is required to turn on the Jeep's computer so I ran a 12V wire from the coach batteries (much easier than getting to the chassis batteries) to the connector.

The lights on the Jeep work, sort of. If the RV isn't hooked up, everything works as it should. With the RV hooked up, the RV turn signals, brakes, and marker lights are echoed on the back of the Jeep correctly, as long as the brake pedal in the Jeep isn't pushed.

The Jeep's brake pedal still controls all three brake lights, overriding anything that the RV is telling it to do.

This isn't going to work very well with the RViBrake 2 that is coming tomorrow which uses the brake pedal to control the brakes.

So does the Jeep need another signal? All that is left is the wire for operating trailer brakes which isn't live. Does the harness require some programming to tell the Jeep's computer to ignore the brake pedal switch?

What if anything do I need to tell the dealer?

For the record, the Jeep's ignition was off the whole time.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #35

Rexhall Owners Group
TBray, our 2016 Wrangler Unlimited is in the shop for a new Rockhard bumper and towing package. Haven't decided for sure but may end up with braking system similar to yours. If we do, what is the resolution to the problem you describe? We currently use Brake Buddy but considering the issue you point out may replace with the Ready Brute Elite which is a surge brake.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #36

I will know on Friday. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any responses from my post.

I may see if I can get something that will bypass the brake switch. I've seen these during my search for the brake system.

I am hoping it is a software fix.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #37

I will know on Friday. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any responses from my post.

I may see if I can get something that will bypass the brake switch. I've seen these during my search for the brake system.

I am hoping it is a software fix.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
On my 2010 wrangler unlimited I used the CoolTechLLC wiring harness, smi brake system and had to install the roadmaster brake light relay switch in order to have the brake lights not interfere with the turn signals.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lclewis49 View Post
On my 2010 wrangler unlimited I used the CoolTechLLC wiring harness, smi brake system and had to install the roadmaster brake light relay switch in order to have the brake lights not interfere with the turn signals.
Weird.. I use the same wiring harness on my 2009 Wrangler and didn't have to add anything to it. My center brake light (above spare tire) doesn't do anything, but the tail lights do work for brakes, turn, running lights, and all combinations.

For example.. if I'm turning and breaking at the same time, the non-turning side tail light will light up with the brakes, and the turning-side tail light will be illuminated and blinking.

If I'm also using the running lights at the same time, then instead of blinking on and off, it gets brighter/dimmer.

So aside from the center brake light above the spare tire, my Jeep taillights seem to be doing exactly what I'd expect them to.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #40

I have a 2005 TJ, it activates the brake lights (key on or off), I thought this was the case for all Wrangler type Jeeps.

I have the ReadyBrute which pushes (well, pulls) the brake pedal.

There's more than one way to stop it doing that:
1. Ignore it, you loose indicators on the Jeep under braking.
2. Pull a fuse (not sure which one, I haven't looked)
3. Install a switch to stop the brake lights activating
4. Install a relay to disconnect the brake lights when plugged into the Motorhome (Roadmaster Brake-Lite Relay Kit for Towed Vehicles Roadmaster Tow Bar Braking Systems RM-88400)

I'm going with #4, but using the relay to send the brake light signal to an LED on the dash of the MH.

I didn't use a wiring kit, the TJ is very easy, all the wires you need are available next to the drivers seat, I just bought diodes off Amazon.

Steve
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #41

Rexhall Owners Group
FWIW, the Mopar wiring kit we ordered didn't work. Similar issues to described above. Decided to go with cut and splice wiring. Would have preferred plug and play but hopefully this will get us on our way.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #42

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
BlueOX Aventa, and instead of a base plate, I connect directly to my front bumper (XRC by Smittybilt). My jeep was the prototype for BlueOX to fabricate the adapters for the fairly standard front bumper Connectors.
Your tow bar connectors look similar to the ones my hitch guy recommended. Beefier than the Blue Ox connectors and connect to the stout tabs on my Rockhard bumper. Only problem, they're less than the minimum width. IIRC, they're about 21 inches apart. Blue Ox says minimum should be 24". How close our yours?

Gary

Tags
wiring