Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
RnG

Which Wrangler Wiring Kit

I recently bought a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited and have been researching which wiring kit to install. It seems to me that the best choices are the Hopkins, Trailer Mate or Mopar wiring kits since they plug into existing connectors (no cutting of wiring to install diodes). I can't imagine cutting into existing wiring when these kits are available.

I then came across a thread that mentioned use of the CoolTech LLC "JK Tow Harness Kit". The information on the CoolTech website is a bit sketchy so I sent them a couple of questions and got this quick reply.

Question 1. From the picture, it looks like you only plug into the left rear light. What about the right rear? Other kits I have seen require running wiring to the right rear also.
Question 2. Are there diodes or relays built in? I can't tell from the picture. Everything I have read to date suggest diodes are needed to protect from feedback.

Answer 1. Both the left and right signals are present at the left light. Generic kit manufacturers don't understand this.
Answer 2. No. The Jeep employs a CANBUS system with a power distribution box which is an ideal isolator. MOST vehicles DO require diodes... not so for the Wrangler.

This looks like by far the simplest install wiring harness for a Wrangler. Way less work than what I have read up on the Mopar harness install and no need to cross over to the right hand tail light (another plus).

Should I be concerned that there are no diodes in the system? Any experiences from anyone that has used this kit?

Ron K
RnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I went with the Mopar harness for the simple reason that there should not be any issues with warranty since it is a factory accessory. The Mopar is not a difficult installation, it only took me a couple of hours. I did find an easier way to get to the plug up behind the dash than what the instructions say. Here is a link to the step by step update I did last year.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2012-...te-236583.html
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
RnG

Thanks for the info Lt Dan.

After I installed the Blue Ox Baseplate last Saturday, I took a good look at the underside of the Jeep. Looks like I can somewhat easily run wiring through the left frame from the rear all the way to near the front bumper. I have the factory hitch and noticed that the trailer cable to the 4 pin connector comes from the left tail light only. I figured that both turn signal/brake lights and rear running lights should come from this location; as CoolTech verified. Plug into the left light plug, run the wiring though the frame, exit near the Blue Ox mounting bracket and attach to a front connector.

Should be a rather quick, easy and sanitary install. No hole drilling, no splicing of vehicle wiring, no taking off any parts except for one tail light. Seems too easy, and make me think I'm missing something.

Ron K
Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 PM   #4

I used the Cooltech on my 14 unlimited. I used my electrical fish tape and ran through the left frame rail from very front hole just behind Blue Ox base plate and out the rear of frame then up to tail lite and plug into harness.

Clean and easy, no wire splice/ diodes, xtra bulbs to mount in tail lite.

It took longer to figure out the cable run than the actual job.
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

I also used cooltech on mine, easy install.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Cooltech X3 on my 2010 JK. Details here: Jeep Towing - Part 2 - JdFinley.com
Old 03-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #7

Go to etrailer.com and find light kit. Plugs into existing harness. no cutting, no diodes. Recently installed in my 2015 Wrangler. 4 way plug connection to rv tow harness.
rbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
I used the Cooltech on my 14 unlimited. I used my electrical fish tape and ran through the left frame rail from very front hole just behind Blue Ox base plate and out the rear of frame then up to tail lite and plug into harness.

Clean and easy, no wire splice/ diodes, xtra bulbs to mount in tail lite.

It took longer to figure out the cable run than the actual job.

This is what I did too. No muss, no fuss.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
This is exactly what I was looking for. I am ordering one now. Thanks everyone.
TheBelchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Then, like me, you will wonder about all the fuss that others talk about.

Diodes, schmiodes. (I know I'll catch flack for that!)
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #11
RnG

Thanks for your responses guys. Sounds like the CoolTech has worked out for you. Do any of you leave the Jeep battery connected and let your brake unit over-ride the blinker when it pushes the brake pedal? CoolTeck told me that this would not be an issue for the few times this happens.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnG View Post
Thanks for your responses guys. Sounds like the CoolTech has worked out for you. Do any of you leave the Jeep battery connected and let your brake unit over-ride the blinker when it pushes the brake pedal? CoolTeck told me that this would not be an issue for the few times this happens.
Trailermate from etrailer was a quick plug n play install, no splicing, watch their install video and see
Old 03-27-2016, 12:44 AM   #13
RnG

Thanks G-Man562, I have looked at the videos on etrailer for both the Hopkins and Trailermate harnesses. They are quite similar in that you need to run wiring to the right side light from the left side light area. Not a major concern but does require cutting a hole in the right side blocking plate.

The annoyance is that the factory cable to the right light comes from the left light. In fact, there is a second connector on the left light from where the right light wiring comes from. Hopkins and Trailermate could have simply designed their cable to connect to this second connector and not have a need to "cut into" access to the right light. I guess this would not make their products common with other vehicles. CoolTech only uses the left light fixture to run both sides. They just don't use diodes because they say that a Wrangler doesn't need them by design. I am a bit concerned about this and was wondering what other have experienced. CoolTech has stated to me that they have nearly 3000 units out there. If there was a major design flaw, I suppose they would not still be making them.

I definitely do NOT want to disconnect my battery when towing. The Jeep does not have a steering lock which is another major plus in my book. I just want to make an informed decision when ordering a wiring kit. The least invasive the better.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

I like the quick and easy method to installation. RnG have you installed the unit yet? what are your thoughts. the weather in New England has been pretty good but not warm enough to spend hours disassembling my jeep to wire in the system yet. I have just installed the blue ox base plate and braking systems and it was difficult in the fact that I had to lay down in the mud and cold driveway. I'd like to install it in one day and be done with it. Im also working on converting my gas grill to hook up to the RV gas tank as well and then we should be ready to roll.....want to head south away from the march/april madness in NE
TheBelchers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring