Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #15

1999 Mazda Miata owner's manual does not recommend towing the car other than on a trailer, even the 5 spd. I do not know why. I have a 1999 5 spd. And would like to tow it on a dolly mainly to get the front end off the ground to help protect the front end from road damage while towing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobill View Post
Would prefer to attach directly to chassis of Miata, but haven't located a good attachment point.

Any ideas?
After many years of designing and building military hardware, I am a BIG believer in REDUNDANCY, especially in matters of safety.

I would NOT attach the safety cables to the baseplate.

I looped a length of 3/8" plastic covered cable around the sway bar mount on each side of the car and threaded the cable between the SIDE of the radiator and the fender well.

I then put thimble eye on the cable and situated it in the grille opening.

On the RV end, my safety cables attach to the RV chassis, NOT to the hitch.

In this picture, the left end of the cables IS attached to the hitch of my Suburban while I was TEST towing the tow bar set-up. I had different attach points for the RV.

Tim

Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticRV View Post
1999 Mazda Miata owner's manual does not recommend towing the car .... I do not know why.
I can give you MY opinion of why Mazda says not to tow the Miata. I feel that is to minimize or eliminate the legal liability of those who choose to tow. Think of Bubba with a length of water ski rope and what that might entail.

I towed my 2000, 5-speed, over 35,000 miles and have now towed our new retractable hardtop, 6-speed, over 7,000 miles.

I have helped more than 20 RVers (Including burmashave) get set up to tow their Miatas. I am still in contact with many of them and have NOT heard a word of towing related trouble from any of them.

Tim
Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #18

In the Spring, I'm going to get under the car and set up Tim's solution. I know the car better now and don't see it as difficult
Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #19

I think I'll do the same.

I do notice though that the Roadmaster solution is to attach the safety cables to the base plate.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmashave View Post
I'm going to get under the car and set up Tim's solution.
Danny & Bill,

Actually, the cable process goes the other way.

Start with 3-4 feet of cable.

Wrap one end around the thimble and clamp firmly in place. Use Loc-Tite or lock washers under the clamp nuts.

Thread the loose end through the side of the radiator.

Go under the car and wrap the cable around the sway bar mount.

Take out the slack cable, hold the two cables together and attach another cable clamp.

For ease of attaching a hook or other end link, position the thimble eye to be vertical with the hole horizontally from side-to-side.

I use coiled cables with a snap-closure hook on each end. It takes mere seconds to hook or un-hook.

Tim
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #21

Quote:
I do notice though that the Roadmaster solution is to attach the safety cables to the base plate.
Yes they do. That keeps the whole set-up (including their chains or cables) as part of their towing "system" and they buy insurance to protect their companies products against liability.

A purchased towing "System" costs about $1,200-$1,400. That is probably about $200-$400 for design, development, and manufacturing of the hardware and about $1,000 for the insurance to cover their liability.

BUT, if (for whatever reason) the baseplate comes loose.... Where are your safety chains/cables? Gone......

Personally, I don't believe that the baseplate and safety chains/cables should rely on each other. I think that they should be totally separate.

That way, it would take TWO failures, not one, for your towed to get away.

Tim
Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #22

Quote:
I think I'll do the same.

This is my fourth toad over the years. All the baseplates I've used expected the safety chain to be hooked up there,and provided an eye to do so. Tim's solution and reasoning behind it is a better choice imho.