Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #1

Question Who's Towing 4 down with Suburban / Tahoe / Yukon

Hello Friends!!!

I recently purchased a 2011 Suburban LTZ (with active transfer case) for our large family. Up until now we have been towing a minivan on a dolly. With this new purchase, I will be towing the Suburban 4 down.

My Chassis:
Freightliner XC / Cummins 340 ISB / Allison 2500.

Done so far:
- Confirmed with Freightliner / Thor that the limiting factor on my coach is the Putnam hitch receiver rated at 5k and that the Coach can pull 10k if the hitch was replaced (and all other weights are kept in check).
- I will be replacing my Putnam 5k hitch with a Putnam 10k hitch. This will allow the tow of the Suburban but will not allow me to win any races….
- Purchassed Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
- Purchassed Brake Buddy System
- Ready to purchase the Blue Ox Base Plate and will either install it myself of take it to the local shop.

Can anyone provide any other assistance/guidance in order to prepare for towing my Suburban. Issues, Setup, Recommendations, etc. Have you noticed any damage to the front of your toad from road debris?

I really appreciate your help!

Sayonara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Sayonara,
As you can see from my signature below, I tow a LTZ Tahoe. I have a Roadmaster base plate and a 6 year old Roadmaster Blackhawk tow bar. The placement of the breakaway hook and the light plug is a little tricky (my breakaway is in the egg crate grille and the plug is in the lower air dam (which I do not like). I don't think you'll feel the toad as much as you think...I towed mine behind a ISC 330 cummins for a while and while it has more torque than your engine, once you get the 'burban rolling, I'm sure you really won't mind it back there at all. As far as setting the Chevy up to tow each time...you just put the transfer case in neutral and your good to go.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We tow a 2005 Tahoe 4x4 and love it. Tows great and very easy to set up & hook-up. Good Luck JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Completed our first trip this last weekend. Worked great !!

Only complaint is that it seems that my break buddy alert system does not always light up. set at 80psi and sensitivity of 5. I made a couple hard stops and it didnt light up and on some other semi-hard stops it did....
Ill start another topic on that.

Thanks for all your help!
Sayonara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara View Post

Only complaint is that it seems that my break buddy alert system does not always light up. set at 80psi and sensitivity of 5. I made a couple hard stops and it didnt light up and on some other semi-hard stops it did....
Ill start another topic on that.
!
Sayonara,
Let me know what you do regarding this issue as I'm having similar difficulty with the remote light. Thanks
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #6

2010 Yukon XL LTZ 4wd here
Is there anything I need to do to keep the steering wheel from locking?
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #7

We pull a Tahoe behind our coach. Three years ago pulled it from MN to Washington DC and back behind a 38 Sports Coach.....smaller Cummins pulled it no problem. Was on some mountain roads I should have not been on - still no problem - learn to keep your speed in check on grades and use low gears with your engine brake as these vehciles are heavier. I now own a 43' Travel supreme tandem with a 400 horse Cummins two stage engine brake - once again pulls great. I have a Demco tow bar with a Blue Ox braking system and I have learned "more lessons" than I needed. Make sure you have a rear camera and all of your electrical is secure. If your electrical drops and gets hooked on something - you may set off the brakes. You can't see a 4-down as easy as a carted vehicle. Always heed the error lights - because with a diesel - you can drag the vehicle without even knowing the brakes are on - thus heating the toad brakes and possibly lighting up your toad. I didn't - because I stopped right away. Pull over and check them immediatley. You also may consider Tire Air Pressure monitors. When a tire goes flat - you may not be able to see it - and once again a strong pulling coach will drag your vehicle and you can't even tell until there is smoke....by then your sidewalls on your toad flat tire have been ruined.....anyway - common sense - carefull defensive driving is in order. I would also use the vehicle lights versus a light bar as other drivers watch your actual lights on the toad and don't notice light bars as easy - carted vehicles are more likely to be watched like a trailer - 4 down looks like just a tailgating vehicle. These larger vehicles roll well as the momentuem keeps them moving - remember that momentuem is also harder to stop - so plan ahead and slow down a little quicker and make sure you know where your remote activation lever is so you can apply the toad brakes if need be....Have Safe Travels. I have two Tahoes - both have different manufacturer instructions for towing - but the newer one unlocks the steering when you put it in neutral and you don't have to leave the key in it to keep the steering free.