Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Hi,

Yesterday a 18 wheeler backed into my bike rack that was on my tow vehicle.

My bike needs repairs, the bike rack is finished, and I have damage to the car. Also he crushed it just enough for my coach hitch to go into my coach bumper.

So I need to get a new bike rack because we are no where close to home for the big repairs.

Why do some bike racks, like the Thule T2 916XTR for example say you can not put this rack on a towed vehicle.

thanks so much
moira
Just wondering,
Was or is, your bike rack, attached to an aftermarket hitch assembly like this one:
2004 Honda CR-V Trailer Hitch - Curt

It's stout enough for any brand bike rack. I'm not familiar with an '04 model of the CRV but, I am with an '11 model CRV. I'm not sure just what kind of structural changes may have taken place between the '04 and '11 but, I purchased and bolted on a hitch assembly just like that one for ours. It carried a rack and two bikes all over the Western U.S. without any issues what so ever.

Second, I suspect that some bike rack manufacturers may think that the structural integrity of many "trailers" (bumper tow, 5th Wheel, travel etc.) may not provide enough structural characteristics to support both a rack and bicycles without potential damage. And they simply don't want any "liability" aimed at them, due potential damage.

So, I'm not sure what your next move is but, if you'd still like to carry the bikes, and didn't or don't have a hitch like the one I presented in the link, I'd maybe think about it, if that's your intention. Being able to open the rear door was of secondary importance to us. As long as we got the bikes along with us, we'd get into the back, sooner or later.

Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 06:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
The OP is asking why some bike racks like the one he quoted says it can't be mounted on a towed vehicle.

Jon
Our Thule said this, but think about it for a minute. Do you think bike rack companies really have any idea about 4 down towed vehicles? I doubt it, I mean, what, maybe 1% of bike racks get used on toads? I think they are referring to putting the racks of "trailers".

In any case, I've thought about this over and over, and really, how much different is the stress on the bike rack on when the vehicle is 4 down vs. being driven. I can't think of anything..... Now on a trailer, maybe, as noted in the post above.

Anyway, I do run a heavy rubber bunge cord around my Thule about half way up the main tube, and then attach the ends to my road hitch safety chain holes, to aboard shocks (and rattles) whether I am towing it or drivng it. It would also help keep the rack attached to the Jeep if the hitch bolt came out.

As far as someone running into it, I'm not as worried about that (other than in a parking garage) as I am some cop pulling me over for an obstructed license plate or rear lights and I remove the front tires to help with both of those issues.

Oh, and here's a question for you. When we do take our bikes with us, is the usual situation (A) my wife and I spend more time riding the bikes? or (B) I spend more time taking them on and off the toad?

You guessed it...... seems like it's usually B.

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #17

Quote:
read no. 6 and no. 8 post
Moira, yep, I read those, that's why I asked the questions I did.

Not clear whether the sales people said it was prohibited, or literature that came with the rack since questions were asked and answers were received, presumably from a person since I am assuming it wasn't the literature responding.

As to the "whipping action", that too sounded like a sales person, still haven't heard anything definitive from an engineering or safety standpoint. What the sales people say is just meaningless noises unless they can back it up with science. . . .

My uncles girlfriend's parrot once repeated to someone I don't know that the earth was square, but that doesn't make it true!

Just looking for facts.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Thank you everyone. Yes I am asking why manufacturers prohibit the use of their rack on a towed vehicle.
Moira
Why not contact the manufacturer of the bicycle rack in question and ask them?
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/support/contact-us
Old 10-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Our Thule said this, but think about it for a minute. Do you think bike rack companies really have any idea about 4 down towed vehicles? I doubt it, I mean, what, maybe 1% of bike racks get used on toads? I think they are referring to putting the racks of "trailers". ...
BINGO!

Also, you will see warnings for use on the back of RVs. Again, the same concept. The up and down stress on the racks on a long overhang are different than those on the back of a car.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Did the trucker or his company pay for your damages?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #21

Well we have a two bike, Thule rack that we attach to the back of the RAV, or other vehicles with a 2 inch hitch receiver. I fail to see what the problem is. When we are unhooked, we take the RAV on some pretty rough dirt roads that probably create a lot more vibration or swing than when it is connected to the MH and driving on the highway.

Other than careless drivers who aren't paying attention and run in to you, I still can't see a problem.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's probably not an engineering or safety concern moreso than a legal issue for the mfg... ANYTHING that goes wrong and they will be in a lawsuit :(

I do recall when I had ours on a long overhang of a 5'er that they WOULD dance all over the place...

Why I never got one with the smaller receiver size, only the 2" size and even then we bungied them down and used locking plates on the hitch to limit any movement
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #23

Maybe its because they feel you cant see the bikes when backing up if mounted on trailer or rv.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the Yakima Holdup, and it too says "Do not install on trailers, campers, and RVs".

I used it on our 5th wheel, and one of our friends with the same rack and fifth wheel lost theirs with bikes when a weld broke on the rack (John, you probably remember). As others have said, there is a lot of whip and yah back there on a 5th wheel, and I've even drug the hitch into the pavement a few times so all that must come into play by the manufacturer. However, I can't find reason why this wouldn't work on my Toad. The 2" Yakima does have a high lift after it comes out of the receiver. We had no issues through this season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05-25-2016 Crawford-235.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	141238  
Old 10-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerwin View Post
Maybe its because they feel you cant see the bikes when backing up if mounted on trailer or rv.
Can't back up with a toad 4 wheels down anyhow, or else you will flip it or break your tow bar.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One other thought on bike racks sitting on the back of a MH...

Depending on how it is mounted, especially on a gasser with a long overhang, you might see them drag at a sudden, steep climb like into a steep driveway.

As was said earlier and what I have seen, some bike rack manufactures will not honor a warranty for use of a rack on the back of an "RV"...for what ever reason they have found that to be.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #27

Thank you all for responding. I had to wait for cell service to respond to everyone.

Hit the Rhod,
Yes the statement appears on their website. I don't own one so I can't tell you if it comes w the paperwork. The best I can tell Captjake1 spoke to someone at the company. Since his post, others have stated that their manufacturer also warns against putting the bike rack on a towed vehicle.

Fire Up,
No, I do not have the hitch that you linked to. Mine was dealer installed. Yours looks like it bolts on to real steel. Mine bolts on to the bottom of the spare tire well. Its very thin aluminum I think. Here it is. It has four bolts, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. And mine wasn't 124 bucks thats for sure. If memory serves me it was like 1500 bucks.
[IMG][/IMG]

Betr2Trvl,
Yes I do take a lot of time taking them on and off. Option B. But I think if I had a platform or tray bike rack I could get the bike off and on in a minute and I would ride it more. Plus it also depends on if you are in a place that you can ride.
My current smashed up bike rack is the hanging type.

Mel s yes I will contact the manufacturer

Sky Boss
I am not familiar with 5th wheels or trailers. Is the long overhang you mention from where the wheels are to the back of the 5th wheel?

MsHappyCamper
No, this just happened the day before yesterday. The trucking co. is out of Canada. I should receive a communication from them 2morrow. And I will explain that I am going to need a new bike rack before I get home. My car will be repaired when I get home. I think it will take about a month to get there.

The manufacturer actually does not prohibit it being installed on a MH. Just towed vehicles.

I'll let you know how this works out.

thanks again
Old 10-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #28

My guess is this Trucker would have hit the bikes even if they were not on a car being towed. I use to drive an 18 wheeler and had a lot of respect for truckers, but I've lost a lot of it.

Tags
bike rack, toad