Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #1

Why Fuse Removal Before Towing

I am going to do what the manufacture says. But I would like to know WHY do I have to pull the ECM and BATT1 fuses before I dingy down the road with my 2012 Buick Enclave behind my Class A motorhome?
Bob Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #2

I would guess that leaving the switch on so the steering doesn't lock keeps the ecm energized. GM either doesn't want the ecm energized continously or it will drain the battery in short order. Most every vehicle that is dingy towed has to have a fuse pulled or a battery cable removed to tow (except most Jeep and Ram vehicles). Many also require the transmission shifter be left in neutral which also requires the key left in the ignition.

Without removing the fuse I would guess your battery would be dead in a couple hours. Hope this helps.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Could be an issue with OnStar also. OnStar could sense the movement of the vehicle while not running and report it as stolen! Or, just mess with the system because it shouldn't see movement when the vehicle is off. My 2010 requires just one 50A fuse removed. (I installed a disconnect switch) If left on, the battery goes dead rather quickly.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #4

One of the thoughts I have is that with a low battery, that is low voltage, current flow increases using ohm's law... there are a lot of circuits on our modern vehicles that really don't like low voltage for extended amounts of time..

All the friends that I have who tow a dingy, all have a 12+ lead from the trailer connector to the vehicle battery to keep it charged up...
Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Electronics in the vehicle that remains on with the key in the "accessory" position will drain the battery over several hours of towing.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #6

I believe Joe has it. It's just about battery drain. This can be remedied by connecting a charge line. The seven pin connector on the back of the coach has a 12 volt supply specificall for supplying 12 to the toad. If you use that you don't have to pull any fuses and your breaking system won't draw the tod battery down either.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Thanks

Thanks to you all for the responses. I have installed a separate 12v plug direct from battery to supply my aux brake. Hopefully that alone won't drain my battery.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #8

Bertman how/where did you install your disconnect switch
Old 02-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leaving either fuse in place depletes the battery
ECM also counts the miles as you tow
Old 02-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Bob Simpson:: I installed a 50A switch behind the grill which I can reach with my fingers thru the grill without opening the hood. Remove the 50A fuse from the fuse box under the hood. Using wire terminal ends divert the power thru a new 50a fuse holder and out to the switch. Returns from the switch and back into the fuse block. Simple install. Keep in mind though, mine is a 2010 Buick Enclave. Only the 50a fuse is required to be removed to tow. Other years are different. I believe 2012 and newer require three fuses to be removed. Some of the aftermarket sellers of RV accessories sell a switch kit. I thought these were a little expensive as my major expense was the switch which was about $7. BTW, I also ran 12v from the coach to the switch. When the switch is in the 'tow' position, the 12v is sent to the car battery to keep it charged. Have never had a problem with it. Good luck. If you need more info, message me. Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0980(2).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	151977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0981(2).jpg
Views:	190
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	151978  

bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
2014 Buick Enclave - able to get tranny in Neutral and wheel unlocked

I am preparing to setup Enclave to flat tow. I found the fuses required. I was testing the methods and was able to get car in Neutral and the wheel unlocked with key off. It has to do with moving key in between positions to move to neutral and then turning to off. All power appears off (no dash lights, alarms, etc) and the wheel is unlocked and free to turn. Am I missing something or doing something that will cause a problem? Thnx
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe, because the onboard computers are almost surely still active. Your vehicle has automatic traction control, meaning the computer is watching for wheel spin and adjusting power & braking. Might have electric power steering too, and it may record miles on the odometer. Also a strong chance of having a dead battery after a few hours of towing. The absence of visible lights on the dash doesn't mean much in modern cars.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

We went through this with our CRV, either remove the fuses or get a Fusemaster so you just need to flip a switch.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #14

I towed a CRV for two years without pulling the fuse like they said. No problems. I use a light bar and brake buddy both plugged into cig lighter. Battery will last for 15 hours before it was dead. To prevent this from happening just drive car at the end of every tow day. No more problems.
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, removal, tow, towing