Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why Hondas are towable

I know that my 2010 Honda FIT automatic can be flat towed and also I believe the CRV, my question is why? I assume it is the transmission fluid pump design, but I'm just curious. I've flat towed it 20,000 miles already with no problems.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fit and CR-V are the only Honda's since '05 that can be towed four down according to Honda although there are a few '05 Pilots that can be also. Honda claims the owners manual is a misprint.
Mostly depends on whether the company wants to accept damage under warranty caused by people not following the towing instructions!!
But, to answer you question: Some transmission pumps run only when the engine is running. That makes them not towable.
Some pumps run off the output shaft, so they pump when being towed and it's OK to tow them.
Same with manual trans although there the trans is lubed by splash, and where the splash comes from determines towability. From the input, not towable. From the output, towable.
Honda says our '05 Odyssey is not towable four down, but I've towed it that way several thousand miles as have many others. I did find that the battery (new battery) went dead in two days of towing even though I started it several times a day. Then I had to have the rig aligned after we got back as well as noting lots more paint chips. Went back to towing on a dolly as it's just as easy.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #3

One of my best friends is a 20 year Honda mechanic and will tell you that Honda has become more and more strict on there warranty claims process. We are also personal friends with the owner of the dealership and bought his Honda Odyssey that was setup to be flat four wheel towed keep in mind this was a 2003 then we bought a 2007 civic automatic just knowing that we could tow that well not so much never tried it they told us we could if we wanted to and well we ended up finding a 2002 honda odyssey to flat tow (still had the old brakets from the 2003) and Love it plus its cheap and paid for. Anyway back to Honda anyway the CRV and Civic and Fit use basically the same transmission so that tells me and everybody else its prob the amount of risk Honda is willing to take in saying yes it is four wheel towable.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #4

It has NOTHING to do with the "pump". The pump spins with the engine....Honda's internal design allows towing on some of their products. Not all.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
It has NOTHING to do with the "pump". The pump spins with the engine....Honda's internal design allows towing on some of their products. Not all.
Where are you getting your info? My info on Honda's comes direct from Honda.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #6

my 20+ years with Honda...and being inside of FAR more Honda auto transmissions that I care to remember. Exchanging FAR more Odyssey(2nd gen) transmissions than I care to remember as well. And yes I was Platinum certified, top CSI rated tech. master ASE certified for them. SO I have a hunch I may know a wee bit more on this subject than the source of your info.

if you disbelieve me....put a line pressure gauge on your trans pressure port...tow your Odyssey and observe the gauge reading....if your pump is spinning as you claim, you will see pressure. I can tell you though not to waste your time as it will read ..zero

MrD you have to remember the "CR" dept is a bunch of folks sitting at desks...most of all have never touched a tool or ever made a repair to an automobile.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283
my 20+ years with Honda...and being inside of FAR more Honda auto transmissions that I care to remember. Exchanging FAR more Odyssey(2nd gen) transmissions than I care to remember as well. And yes I was Platinum certified, top CSI rated tech. master ASE certified for them. SO I have a hunch I may know a wee bit more on this subject than the source of your info.

if you disbelieve me....put a line pressure gauge on your trans pressure port...tow your Odyssey and observe the gauge reading....if your pump is spinning as you claim, you will see pressure. I can tell you though not to waste your time as it will read ..zero

MrD you have to remember the "CR" dept is a bunch of folks sitting at desks...most of all have never touched a tool or ever made a repair to an automobile.
So if it's not the pump design that makes a FIT automatic towable, what is it? Enquiring minds want to know, and I'm sure that with 20+ years with Honda, you'll be able to tell us in great detail!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #8

the internal design of the trans that allows enough oil to splash around inside, thus creating lubrication
Old 07-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

Yea what sc2383 said and also thats why like with our Ody that we tow 4 down they tell you that every 300 miles or 8 hrs they tell you to start it up and go through the gears in a honda approved pattern and then you let it idle for 3mins to help make sure the gears are lubricated
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #10

Oops sc3283 not sc2383 shouldnt be roller skating and typing
Old 07-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You ask why.. Well there are two answers:

1: Better engineers, likely one who is an RVer at Honda.

2: The drive shaft (Transmission output shaft) has a hydrauic pump on it to provide lubrication any time the vehicle is in motion, Normally only the engine shaft has such a pump on Automatic transmissions, That is the difference physically.

Why this is.... Well, I'd like to think it is due to an engineer who is an RVer but... I can think of other reasons as well.

But they apply more to Jag's than Honda's.

(You need to know the joke about Jag's and Lucas Electric).
Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You ask why.. Well there are two answers:

1: Better engineers, likely one who is an RVer at Honda.

2: The drive shaft (Transmission output shaft) has a hydrauic pump on it to provide lubrication any time the vehicle is in motion, Normally only the engine shaft has such a pump on Automatic transmissions, That is the difference physically.

Why this is.... Well, I'd like to think it is due to an engineer who is an RVer but... I can think of other reasons as well.

But they apply more to Jag's than Honda's.

(You need to know the joke about Jag's and Lucas Electric).
Do you mean "Lucas: the people who invented darkness."
Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #13

wa8...you best recheck your statistics on your #2 and elaborate which models.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are but two ways to make it towable, Either it has a output shaft driven pump (And I do recall reading that the towables do) or there is a means of completly disconnecting the output shaft when in neutral.

As for the person who commented on Lucas.. Yes, exactly.