RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

Why I Bought A Jeep

We like to go to places where you can't get to with the average vehicle which is one of the reasons I bought a Jeep for my toad. Went to a few spots in the past week that were beautiful and only accessible with a 4X4. Some people might say we are crazy going to some of these spots but we do go prepared and for the most part the trails we do when alone are relatively easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Terrace.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	215157  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto ! it is a compromise for day to day commuting (if I still did that ) but man can it get you to some NICE places !

and planning to enjoy some of them in Canon City,Colorado and Sante Fe in two weeks !!!

Old 08-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #3

Fortunately I don't have to drive mine every day. I would to do some exploring down in Colorado sometime too,beautiful country there as well. Maybe next year.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #4

We went to St. Augustine at the end of June. Glad we had the Wrangler....you can still drive on the beach there (St. Johns County) but they will not allow you on the beach without 4-wheel drive.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:06 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
It's a Jeep thing. Ordinary people wouldn't understand
Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
We like to go to places where you can't get to with the average vehicle which is one of the reasons I bought a Jeep for my toad. Went to a few spots in the past week that were beautiful and only accessible with a 4X4. Some people might say we are crazy going to some of these spots but we do go prepared and for the most part the trails we do when alone are relatively easy.
Craig,
You're now experiencing what we've been doing for well over 35 years with Jeeps. They're a ton of fun. No, you don't have to go hog wild on modifications, alterations, $40,00000000 in aftermarket accessories and all that. A bone stock Jeep will take you a lot of fun places. Some folks, many in fact, have absolutely ZERO interest in off roading and or exploration. That's fine, less clogging of the trails.

What's really nice is, places like Moab UT where you can find very mild, fun, ultra scenic trails that you won't find any other place on earth. Ouray CO, another Jeep haven. The trails out of Ouray are as breathtaking as it gets and, about 98% of the time, 4WD is barely needed. They are not hard to negotiate trails, JUST HIGH UP IN ALTITUDE! You don't have to try and torcher your Jeep to its end. You don't have to find the biggest rock to climb, you don't have to go into the deepest mud pit, to have fun. Even forest roads can be way cool.

There's hundreds of thousands of nice, fun and scenic trails all over the U.S. Of the many things I can advise on your adventures, one really important one is, you really should take these adventurous off road excursions, with ANOTHER Jeep as a minium. Three is even better. But, at least two Jeeps on any given run. The primary reason is, even a bone stock Jeep can break down. A wire, a fuel line, a faulty circuit breaker, any number of potential causes of a shut-down Jeep can happen. If you're alone, well, that's not good.

But, with a compadre with you, you've got a way to either tow yours back or, at least go get help. Good luck with your new toy. They're a blast. We're on NUMBER NINE right now in our Jeeping career. I will also add that, if you're not in the off road spirit thing, you should lower your tire pressure by quite a bit to help with traction and a waaaaaaaaay better ride off road. Of course, when you re-enter the pavement, you'll need a good little 12V compressor to get your tires back up to street pressure.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #7

Up here in Canada we can have some pretty wicked weather in the winter. After a heavy snow fall or a blizzard I get around in a our jeep wrangler with no problem at all. It is a such a great feeling to know that I can get from point A to point B without worrying about getting stuck or slipping and sliding all over the place.

irishguy
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #8

I used to do a fair bit years ago Scott but got into the racing then back to a side by side and last year I bought the Jeep so that we could take it with us on a trip if it wasn't a side by side trip.
I hear you on going with someone else and if we meet up with anyone we try to tag along with them for the reasons you mentioned. At the least we have told the person running the campgrounds we stayed at if we don't check out this is where we are at for this trip. We have stayed on well used trails or FSR's for the reasons you mentioned. When at home we don't go out unless we are with at least one more 4 X 4.
I did buy a Rubicon and don't plan on doing anymore upgrades over the stuff I have already done, winch,bumper and CB. I do pack a first aid kit, tire repair kit, couple different tow ropes, a shovel and a few other things. And yes I have a compressor as well for airing the tires back up.
Moab and Ouray are two other places we would like to go to also. A few people I know up here go to Moab but they are more into the extreme stuff then I am so I doubt it would be any better going with them since they would want to go on different trails then we would I'm thinking.

I definitely is a Jeep thing Don. lol
Old 08-16-2018, 12:37 AM   #9
dp7

Canon City

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Ditto ! it is a compromise for day to day commuting (if I still did that ) but man can it get you to some NICE places !

and planning to enjoy some of them in Canon City,Colorado and Sante Fe in two weeks !!!
Just a heads up for an area you may want to avoid in Canon City. There is an old uranium processing plant that is on the EPA super fund list located at 38.395895, -105.227791. I would hate to see you contaminate a nice jeep!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
I used to do a fair bit years ago Scott but got into the racing then back to a side by side and last year I bought the Jeep so that we could take it with us on a trip if it wasn't a side by side trip.
I hear you on going with someone else and if we meet up with anyone we try to tag along with them for the reasons you mentioned. At the least we have told the person running the campgrounds we stayed at if we don't check out this is where we are at for this trip. We have stayed on well used trails or FSR's for the reasons you mentioned. When at home we don't go out unless we are with at least one more 4 X 4.
I did buy a Rubicon and don't plan on doing anymore upgrades over the stuff I have already done, winch,bumper and CB. I do pack a first aid kit, tire repair kit, couple different tow ropes, a shovel and a few other things. And yes I have a compressor as well for airing the tires back up.
Moab and Ouray are two other places we would like to go to also. A few people I know up here go to Moab but they are more into the extreme stuff then I am so I doubt it would be any better going with them since they would want to go on different trails then we would I'm thinking.

I definitely is a Jeep thing Don. lol
Craig,
Well Sir, it sounds as if you've got the system down pretty good. Been there done that sort of thing. You can go to Moab and run a whole series of trails there that are not for the "Mad Max" type Jeeps. One in particular that is a total gas to run is called "Hells Revenge". It's about 98% slick rock. It's like driving on about a couple of hundred acres of nothing but rock. It's a kick in the behind to run. And, don't know if you've seen the one of the latest Kia Sorrento ad or not but, it shows a Kia on Hells revenge. Another is Fins and Things. It too is aimed at the more mild Jeeps but still a ton of fun to run. There's a whole lot more there too.

As state, the Ouray CO area you can run with your Rubi in its present condition and have one seriously great time. Be careful out there and have a great time.
Scott
Old 08-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Is your Jeep a 2 door or 4 door? I am looking for a toad and I am affaird the 2 door may be too small. Hoping to see if anyone has the 2 door and regret it. Just me for now, maybe a dog, Will be using it like you but may do day trips and stay overnight it it.

2016 Jeep JKU
Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
Is your Jeep a 2 door or 4 door? I am looking for a toad and I am affaird the 2 door may be too small. Hoping to see if anyone has the 2 door and regret it. Just me for now, maybe a dog, Will be using it like you but may do day trips and stay overnight it it.
Curiosity,
We've owned, modified, towed and had fun with 9 different Jeep Wranglers over a 35+ year period. All but the latest one have been traditional smaller, standard two-door Jeeps. They have their benefits for sure. Just a tad bit easier to park in crowded conditions, a slight (in my opinion VERY slight) advantage on many trails out there due to a bit tighter turning radius etc.

I was fairly skeptical about changing to a 4-door model when we were scouting for a JK. We headed out to the local dealer and test drove both. There is very little difference in handling and such between the two other than what I mentioned above. But, the really, REALLY big difference is the amount of room BEHIND that rear seat for misc. stuff. Not only that but, the rear seat, even for the two of us, has come in handy way, way more than I ever thought it would.

Our dog snoozes back there. We have family that visits and rides back there. Friends ride there quite often and a whole lot more. Having the 4-door model now is second nature. Heck, I'd recommend it easily for a single person. Good luck on your choice.
Scott
Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 AM   #13

Mine is a 2 door dp7 and I don't regret it for how I use it. No pets or kids and the back seat stays in the basement all the time or I wouldn't have any cargo space. So if you plan on having more then two people including the dog and still need cargo space I agree with Scott get the 4 door. I only drive mine when I want to or when we travel with the M/H.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #14

2016 JKU. We're not likely to be off road very often if at all. We just like the true Jeep, aka Wrangler, for it's looks, ease of towing, available 4 X 4, occasional bad weather driving, 4 doors for easier guest accommodation, and the fun thing.

Winterbagoal is online now   Reply With Quote