Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #15

Thank you all for your input. We love the support given by other RVers. Since we are retired and will divide our daily errands around home between our GMC Sierra and the Jeep, I'm not worried about the mpg. Since I love fly fishing, I think the off road capability would be a plus. Now my choice, Rubicon or Liberty. Thanks to all of you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Easy to tow. Good for exploring to hard core off-roading.

As for death wobble (a very violent shaking of the front end that is started by hitting a bump, and ends with slowing down or stopping), any solid front axle vehicle can experience it. What causes it is worn front end / steering components. Most often track bar is the cause (worn bushings, damage, etc). It's not something to be worried about. Most never ever experience it, and with proper maintenance one never will.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep. It's a Jeep thing. We love driving our '84 CJ7 in FL for 3 months, driving up and down Anna Maria Island with no doors and just the bikini top on. Hardly a day goes by the someone doesn't compliment the Tangelo Pearl Jeep!

[/URL][/IMG]
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #18

Why do folks use Jeeps.
With the correct transmission, it can be shifted into 'Neutral' and driven all day, no matter what the speed, without damage.
Jeep Wobble - Yup some Jeeps have that problem. The owners manual to what you purchased will tell you if needed.
Example - We just purchased a 2017 4X4 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. It needed the 'wobble kit'. It was a $125 part and two hours of labor. After checking to assure that the power wire was actually working on the 7 point trailer connection - everything works like a champ.
The new car tows really nice. Even better than our older 2007 Jeep Latitude we sold.
gregorys50325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All Jeep Cherokees (not Grand Cherokees) from 2014 and newer require a Mopar wiring kit that activates the power steering module while towing to keep the vehicle from possibly experiencing violent shaking and swaying.

The violent shaking and swaying can occur at speeds from 25 mph and up, and once it starts, the only way to get it to stop it is to come to a complete stop.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
All Jeep Cherokees (not Grand Cherokees) from 2014 and newer require a Mopar wiring kit that activates the power steering module while towing to keep the vehicle from possibly experiencing violent shaking and swaying.

The violent shaking and swaying can occur at speeds from 25 mph and up, and once it starts, the only way to get it to stop it is to come to a complete stop.
Different than the death wobble issue I described and spoke about. Yes, this occurs with the electric power steering of certain models. Readily mitigated with the wiring harness - as it keeps the electric power steering energized.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #21

Well,
After towing and operating 9 different Jeeps for over a 35 year period, we've NEVER, EVER experienced this "Death wobble". Personally, I think it's over rated. If one takes into account, the literally thousands and thousands of problem free, "death wobble" free jeeps being towed and or used, and compares it to the reported death wobble woes, I suspect it's a pretty small percentage. We've been associated with many, many Jeep friends for about that same amount of time and, not one of them has ever had the DEATH WOBBLE.

As for the statement about "maintenance problems", WHAT maintenance problems? Jeeps, especially the JK models, are not the WW II models of yesteryear. The longevity, dependability and more, have drastically improved over the years. Now, if you're going to use it off road, and get rough with it, well YEAH, it will require more overseeing to keep it trouble free, that's a given.

As for gas mileage. Well, the first thing one needs to realize is, you're driving a rolling KLEENEX BOX. Duh, there's about as much aerodynamics as a gymnasium. The EPA, FCA etc. all work to get corporate fuel mileage up and, for the most part, are accomplishing that. But, a box is a box. For a utilitarian vehicle that does more than just about any ONE OTHER factory produced vehicle, it's about as good as it gets, for being able to do all of it.

One just has to realize that a Jeep, again, especially a JK, is not in the race for being a top earner for MPG, far from it. It's not the most comfortable either, far from it. It's not the fastest production vehicle out there either, WAY far from it. It's not the most technologically advanced vehicle out there, again, waaaaaaaaaay far from it.

But, it's a GENERAL PURPOSE vehicle that does do it all. On road, off road, grocery getter, daily driver, junk hauler, slight towing capability, and more, all while getting "fair" gas mileage. Not only all that, but you don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops, add any TRANSMISSION PUMP, lay under it and disconnect any drive shafts, or do any specific operations to TOW IT. It's flat towable, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The reason we towed a Jeep Liberty for 10 years was it was the only 4-down vehicle that didn't have a speed limit, we didn't have to stop after so many miles just to start it/run it through it's gears, there were no fuses to pull to make something stop working, didn't require a charge line for the battery & we could tow it all day & when we got to where we were going the battery wasn't dead.....oh, & it had enough leg/head room for my tall DH.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:35 PM   #23

From talking to people, Jeeps just seem to be the best.
moparjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Good information on the Jeeps for Toads. I had purchased an older Saturn Vue (2WD) to tow on a dolly. We recently purchased a 2013 CRV for my wife and set it up to tow four wheels down. After getting it all set up I sold the dolly.

Now I find myself traveling a lit more for work and possibly able to use the Motor Home for this travel, but I need transportation while I am there and my wife doesn't like giving up her CRV while I am gone.

I have two options, 1. buy another tow dolly, or 2. sell the Vue and get a Jeep to tow four wheels down. Who wouldn't want a Jeep. In my search am looking for an older CJ or Wrangler of what ever evolution they have of the basic two seat Jeep.

Now for my questions:

1. What are the best/easiest years to set up for towing 4 wheels down. I know some versions of the jeep have attachment points at the bumpers just wasn't sure which one was easiest to set up.

2. I have heard about the rusted frame horrors out there and since I will be looking for an older (less Expensive) Jeep wondered what I should be looking for.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
The last Jeep Liberty was built in 2012. I purchased a 2011 Liberty Jet. Nice vehicle. Be sure to check what jeeps are towable 4 down Front wheel drive is not as far as I know.
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #26

Tim, most all the CJs 74-85 are not flat towable for long distances, the transfer case will not lube sufficiently and will eventually burn up. The 87 and up Wranglers are towable but only the newer models don't have a steering lock so some require a battery disconnect. Jeeps leak especially soft tops, the two obvious places to look is the corners of the front floorboards and the corner behind both front seats in front of the wheel wells. Just pull up the carpet to inspect.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have several in our WBGO club who tow Jeeps. The last one bought was in the $35 grand range. WOW!!!! That's a lot of $$$$ for towing. Personally I don't care for them but that's just me.

The number of vehicle that can be easily flat towed is getting smaller and smaller. The Honda CRV up until about 2011 or 2012 was but for some reason not any more. Our Ford Fusion 2012 says in the manual that it can be Towed but it can't. Well for about $4,000 it could be. I think the Ford Escape was but now can't be flat towed.

Most stick shift vehicles are easily flat towed. However it's almost impossible to find a reasonable sized vehicle with a stick shift. Our first TOAD was a Civic 2002 with a 5-speed. We now have a 2000 Ford ranger with a 5-speed.

As far as jeeps there are some who do off road but I'll bet they are the exception rather than the rule. I believe that some maybe many, just buy a Jeep because it's cool.

It's kind of like the pickups. Cruise through a dealer lot and notice row after row of 4X4 pickups. The 4X4 option adds a lot to the price but I'd venture to guess more than 95% of them seldom need or use the 4X4 option. You are also told that it's good for re-sale. Based on why I believe they are bought it probably is. I still think most just buy a 4X4 because in their minds it's "COOL."

Life is about choices, we have them and that's also COOL!!!!!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Tim, most all the CJs 74-85 are not flat towable for long distances, the transfer case will not lube sufficiently and will eventually burn up. The 87 and up Wranglers are towable but only the newer models don't have a steering lock so some require a battery disconnect. Jeeps leak especially soft tops, the two obvious places to look is the corners of the front floorboards and the corner behind both front seats in front of the wheel wells. Just pull up the carpet to inspect.
This is one of the first times on here that I've read the truth about CJ-7s and issues with flat towing them for distance. Yes, the transfer case(s), normally the model 300, (cast iron-gear driven) are not designed for longer distance towing. They don't have adequate lubing for that. Yes, you can tow them for a short while, in the neighborhood of around 100 miles or so, plus or minus, then, you have to stop. Then get in and start the jeep and run it through some gears in order for the T/C to splash up some lube on all the "un-lubed" parts/bearings etc. Now you can get back to towing, for another hundred miles or so. And even then, you're still taking a bit of a potential chance.

We did it with CJ-7s for quite a while but, it does take it's toll on the T/Cs, even with the stop-and-lube practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
We have several in our WBGO club who tow the Jeeps. Personally I don't like them but that's just me.

Also there are some brands that used to be TOADS like the Honda CRV but for some reason the CRV in about 2012 can no longer be towed. Our Ford Fusion says in the manual that it can be Towed but it can't. I think the ford Escape could be towed but isn't now. Any way there are not that many vehicles out there that can easily be towed.

Most stick shift vehicles are easily flat towed. It's almost impossible to find a reasonable sized vehicle with a stick shift. Our first TOAD was a Civic 2002 with a 5-speed. We now have a 2000 Ford ranger with a 5-speed.

As far as jeeps there are some who do off road but I'll bet they are the exception rather than the rule. I believe that some just buy a Jeep because it's cool.

It's kind of like the pickups. Cruise through a dealer lot and notice row after row of 4X4 pickups. The 4X4 option adds a lot to the price but I'd venture to guess more than 95% of them seldom need or use the 4X4 option. You are also told that it's good for re-sale. Based on why I believe they are bought it probably is. I still think most just buy a 4X4 because in their minds it's "COOL."

Life is about choices!!
Hey TeJay,
Been a while. Your years of "non-towing" for the Honda CRV are off just a bit. You can flat tow any CRV all the way up to the year 2015. In the '15, Honda modernized it's CRV with the CVT transmission which, does not like flat towing at all. But '14's and below, tow to your hearts content.

As for "4x4" option on both Jeeps and pickups, yeah,, there's some "cool" to the demeanor but, the option of 4x4 in today's world is more used than one thinks. There are many, many RV folks with Jeeps all over the U.S. It's really hard to say whether or not they actually get used off road or not. The reason is, even if you see the Jeeps being towed are lifted, larger tires, bumpers, and all the "decorations" that apply to regular off roading are present, there are quite a few that NEVER see any off roading.

Then there are the ones that actually DO use them off road. Some are not built, some in the middle and some, are built for some serious stuff off road. As for the 4x4 option in pickups, again, it's hard to say just how much that option is actually used in the real world. We have an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 extended Cab that we also tow. We bought it BECAUSE it's flat towable and can, and does carry our Honda GL 1800 Goldwing in the back.

Do we use the 4x4 option? Yes, on occasion. We use it every time on the boat ramp to pull our boat out on slippery/moss covered ramps and, occasionally off roading although we have a nicely modified '15 JKUR for that.

To the OP,
The earliest models that are for the most part, problem-free in towing are the '88 and above YJs. The reason is, those were outfitted with what's called the Model 231 Transfer case. It's an all aluminum, chain driven gear system. The reason it's flat towable is, there's an oil pump in the rear tail cone housing that's driven by the output shaft. And, when towing it, the output shaft is driven by the rear drive shaft, which turns when towing or, driving. So, those are safe to tow.

And those transfer cases are still used all the way up to today, in models of the TJ (anything but the Rubicon) and, the JKs, (again, anything but the Rubicons and Hard Rock editions). As for the Rubicons, they are fitted with a highly advanced 241OR "Rock Trac" transfer case. It's very similar to the 231 but, has a much lower low range.

Anyway, hope this helps some.

Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads