Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
CJ5, CJ7, and the YJ all come in with curb weights under 3,500 lbs - assuming standard equipment. Soft top and no rear seat YJ's are all closer to 3K lbs. The 4 cylinder models and soft top CJ's are usually 2800 lbs.
DryCreek,
You could more than likey be wright on those weights. But, we've never owned a 4 cyl and never will, never own just a soft top, never owned one without a back seat. And, we've modified each and every Jeep we've owned with either home built bumpers rock slider, compressors, tire carriers and a whole lot more. So, the last time I weighed any of our Jeeps, it was well over 4,500 lbs. And I'm sure that was a short wheel based TJ, not even the "LJ" model.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 05:09 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV2LY View Post
Thank you to everyone for the tremendous input. I am convinced that Jeep is the toad for us. You guys are the best.

We purchased a 2017 JKU and love it. I had to compromise the color for my DW to buy in. It’s as purple as a merlot grape. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7034.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	222846
Old 10-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #59

Quote:
We purchased a 2017 JKU and love it. I had to compromise the color for my DW to buy in. It’s as purple as a merlot grape. Attachment 222846

Very cool. You will love having a Jeep to bounce around in once you park the coach. They are fun just like they are and can be very capable off road with just a few modifications.

What tow bar/brake system are you planning? Gas or diesel coach? If you have a gas coach with standard hydraulic brakes I would highly recommend the Ready Brute Elite. Simple, effective and the whole system with brakes and all is about $1500. brand new. This will last many many years and 10’s of thousands of miles before you will need to service it.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #60

We were very lucky. The former owner of the MH had a Roadmaster Falcon tow bar attached and threw in a Brake Buddy Classic for no extra charge. All we had to do was purchase the Roadmaster easy five plate , the brake disconnect and the lighting wires, which I easily installed myself. Our coach is a gas Newmar Baystar 3401. Yes the Jeep is fun, but I have to be careful not to knick that “beautifully colored” paint. Lol
Old 10-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #61

Quote:
We were very lucky. The former owner of the MH had a Roadmaster Falcon tow bar attached and threw in a Brake Buddy Classic for no extra charge. All we had to do was purchase the Roadmaster easy five plate , the brake disconnect and the lighting wires, which I easily installed myself. Our coach is a gas Newmar Baystar 3401. Yes the Jeep is fun, but I have to be careful not to knick that “beautifully colored” paint. Lol

Very nice. Youre all set then.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #62

National RV Owners Club
Jeep Cherokee Overland... Our ideal TOAD

We just got back from a 3,000 mile trip from San Diego, to West Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons, Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks, Zion and Sedona, AZ. We towed our 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland behind a 1997 34' National RV, Tropi-cal. It is a Ford Chassis 460 Gas Engine with Banks add-ons. We bought the Jeep especially for this purpose. The transfer-case ease of setting it in Neutral for towing takes about 30 seconds. The Blue-Ox base plate and tow bar worked flawlessly and is a breeze to hook up. We used a TowMaster Tow Defender rock shield and came home with zero dings. We had all of this and the SMI Stay-n-play break system installed by San Diego Trailer Supply and the did an amazing professional job.

The Cherokee Overland is very luxurious in it's appointments, is quiet, rides wonderfully and is a joy to drive. We love it! The dealer assured us we did not need the optional wiring harness that the wobble issue had been solved.

It towed beautifully. Was easy to forget it was back there... with exception of long 6 percent grades... and we just went slower :-)

For us the Jeep was a great choice. We had a great, beautiful new car... yet we had ground clearance and a high angle of approach and departure for off roading. We drove miles of forest service roads in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Arizona.

I can't imagine a better choice for a TOAD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3595.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	223003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overland Pearl White.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	223004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180922_085106.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	223010  
Home:760-519-7014, email: guess@tpguess.com
Tpguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
DryCreek,
You could more than likey be wright on those weights. But, we've never owned a 4 cyl and never will, never own just a soft top, never owned one without a back seat. And, we've modified each and every Jeep we've owned with either home built bumpers rock slider, compressors, tire carriers and a whole lot more. So, the last time I weighed any of our Jeeps, it was well over 4,500 lbs. And I'm sure that was a short wheel based TJ, not even the "LJ" model.
Scott
DryCreek is right. I weighed my 2017 JKU Sport in May and it came in at 4740. Don't remember how much fuel was in it but there were no people in it.

Tags
toad, toads