RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #1

Why Jeep Toads?

My wife and I are stepping up from a TT to a 35' MH (Allegro Open Road). We have seen a lot of Jeep models being flat towed. Why do they choose Jeep? I know there must be a variety of reasons, but they are popular toads. Then I worry that maybe one Jeep model is more prone to the "death wobble". Any advise before we buy? Thank you. New to MH RVing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #2

We flat tow our 2007 Jeep Liberty behind our MH. I think the reason they are so popular is that the 4x4 models have a real transfer case, so you can take the engine and transmission out of the drivetrain when you tow. Makes it easy. Our 2007 was built before the fly by wire electric steering system.

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of the folks that tow jeeps want to be able to go off roading. (Personally I think they are over priced, rough riding and they have a lot of maintenance problems.)

To tow our Chevy Spark with a manual transmission all I have to do is take it out of gear, release the brake and turn the key to the first notch (not accessory) to unlock the steering wheel. It weighs less than the Jeep gets better gas mileage and is about half the price.

Since you are buying an Allegro Open Road be sure to check out the Tiffin RV Network. You will find a lot of information about Tiffins.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We "flat tow" a 2012 Jeep Liberty. For us it's a perfect toad. Hooks up easily - with a transfer case that's designed so that it can easily be put into neutral for towing. We found that we really like the Liberty in it's own right .... it's small, yet comfortable. While we don't do any real "off roading" with it - the 4 wheel drive is nice if/when you find yourself parking off the pavement - or if you happen to want to wander down a bit of "two track". We purchased our in 2015. It was a lease turn-in with roughly 12,000 miles on it - with a sales price of roughly $20K. It was an easy choice.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #5

I've owned our Liberty since 2008-Oil changes, tires (x1) and gas. No repairs to 4x4 or any other system. Ask a man who owns one.........
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #6

I thought about getting a Jeep until I saw their crappy MPG ratings. Maybe later when I go full time and don't have to drive back and forth to work.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Great toad

We have a wrangler can go anywhere for the exploring you usually don't care to much about comfort you aren't going to be driving it far,holds its value,a blast to drive
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #8

2103 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. We chose this as our toad after towing around a 2003 Saturn VUE for 10 years. Hookup and make ready to tow the Jeep is easier than the VUE.

The VUE required me to hookup, pull a fuse, leave the key in ACC position, and manual shifter in Neutral. The Jeep I hookup, and put the transfer case in Nuetral. No fuse to pull, no key in the ignition (no steering lock).

... and I can take the Jeep and do some light off-road sight seeing. Moab is awesome, and the Rubicon will handle any off-roading my wife and I would ever attempt!

Now with that said, the Jeep falls into a category all it's own. If you try to compare it using the same criteria as you do other automobiles, it will fail. It rides rough, doesn't handle well, doesn't brake well, gets terrible gas mileage! . . . but it does off-roading great! and I can take the roof and doors off.

When not being towed around behind the motorhome, our Jeep is my wife's daily driver. . . and she loves it! As she says, It's a Jeep thing!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
On my second JK Wrangler. Agree with Jarata; fun to drive and really hold their value. I have a Rock Hard aluminum bumper setup with receivers from my Blue Ox tow bar. Easy to setup and go. The wobble stories you hear about are with Cherokee's.
RockyMtnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #10

I have had four Jeep Wranglers through the years. My current 2011 JK Unlimited Sport is my toad. Different models of the Jeep vary greatly in creature comforts. I had a 2009 Rubicon Unlimited with a soft top and stock mud tires that was loud and fairly harsh on bumps. My 2011 Unlimited Sport with a hard top and all terrain tires is rather comfortable, nice to drive and relatively quiet. Recommend trying different flavors until you find one you like.
Jmills1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #11
Community Moderator

I purchased an older used Jeep Rubicon Unlimited as a second vehicle to tow. My other is a Suburban, I actually think it is an easier hook up and prepare over the Jeep. Just put transfer case in Neutral, transmission in Park remove keys and lockup. Jeep is not bad but keys remain and battery disconnected after transfer case moved to Neutral.
The main reason for the Jeep was to have a a little less weight to tow and smaller vehicle for moving about. We will be travelling out west more and felt the Jeep would be a better vehicle. I did put a Hard Rock bumper on it with and M&G brake system.
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
2103 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. We chose this as our toad after towing around a 2003 Saturn VUE for 10 years. Hookup and make ready to tow the Jeep is easier than the VUE.

The VUE required me to hookup, pull a fuse, leave the key in ACC position, and manual shifter in Neutral. The Jeep I hookup, and put the transfer case in Nuetral. No fuse to pull, no key in the ignition (no steering lock).

... and I can take the Jeep and do some light off-road sight seeing. Moab is awesome, and the Rubicon will handle any off-roading my wife and I would ever attempt!

Now with that said, the Jeep falls into a category all it's own. If you try to compare it using the same criteria as you do other automobiles, it will fail. It rides rough, doesn't handle well, doesn't brake well, gets terrible gas mileage! . . . but it does off-roading great! and I can take the roof and doors off.

When not being towed around behind the motorhome, our Jeep is my wife's daily driver. . . and she loves it! As she says, It's a Jeep thing!
Ditto...

I love Jeep Wranglers anyway. They are one of the true do anything vehicles. Economy isn't good, but it isn't that bad. I average a measured 15.5 city and 20.3 highway (65, no wind or big hills).

Where else can you get
- super simple to tow
- manual trans
- doors come off
- roof folds or comes off
- unmatched off road ability

People complain about "death wobble." It generally only effects vehicles with a solid front axle that have MUCH larger than stock tires and a big lift. Even then, If all the front end parts are in good shape, it's super rare. Stock or close to stock Jeeps very rarely have an issue.
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I purchased an older used Jeep Rubicon Unlimited as a second vehicle to tow. My other is a Suburban, I actually think it is an easier hook up and prepare over the Jeep. Just put transfer case in Neutral, transmission in Park remove keys and lockup. Jeep is not bad but keys remain and battery disconnected after transfer case moved to Neutral.
The main reason for the Jeep was to have a a little less weight to tow and smaller vehicle for moving about. We will be travelling out west more and felt the Jeep would be a better vehicle. I did put a Hard Rock bumper on it with and M&G brake system.
Sometime in 2008 or 2009 Jeep stopped putting steering locks in Wranglers. My 2012 doesn't have one and it's very easy to set up -just like your suburban.

For anyone unsure - just see if the wheel will turn more than 180 degrees in both directions with the key removed.
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I flat tow a Grand Cherokee, and do so because of the ease to hook up, Jeeps reliability, and the fact that it's good off road and comfortable on road.

Tags
toad, toads