Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #1

Why wouldn't this work...?

So as I understand it, one of the big deterrents to car dolly's is putting on the straps, having to get on the ground to attach them, having to check them after a few miles, etc.

So why couldn't - or why don't - manufactures make a system where you could chock the wheels with chocks that lock into place on the ramp and then just strap the frame of the car to the dolly = one strap on each side?

Wheel chocks that lock into the car dolly ramp?? What am I missing here
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #2

Grand Design Owners Club
Cars being towed still need suspension movement. If you were to strap to car frame you limit the movement. What bounce is left will be a constant pounding on the tie downs.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
Cars being towed still need suspension movement. If you were to strap to car frame you limit the movement. What bounce is left will be a constant pounding on the tie downs.
Yep.

I've carried motorcycles many miles on trailers, and the suspension is usually compressed and straps affixed above the suspension (handlebars, upper forks, etc.), AND the trailer has suspension.

Car suspension is designed to hold a 3500+ pound car and would be much harder to compress. Then the dolly itself would need suspension making it much more expensive. Heck, it may not even work

We use a Mastertow dolly, and we don't have to get on the ground to affix the wheel straps. The wheels are high enough to stand next to it and put them on. We pull ours an eighth of a mile up a dirt road to get out of our property, so I just hop out and check them at the top of the drive. They almost never need adjusting then, but it's easy to check there. Then I just pull on them when we stop the first time for a break. We're both elderly, so that happens within 100 miles in the morning. Sometimes I can get another click on one of the straps then.

The closest I come to having to get on the ground is to put the pin back in to keep the bed from tilting back. I throw a pad down and get on one knee to reach it under the front of the car.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Yep.

I've carried motorcycles many miles on trailers, and the suspension is usually compressed and straps affixed above the suspension (handlebars, upper forks, etc.), AND the trailer has suspension.

Car suspension is designed to hold a 3500+ pound car and would be much harder to compress. Then the dolly itself would need suspension making it much more expensive. Heck, it may not even work

We use a Mastertow dolly, and we don't have to get on the ground to affix the wheel straps. The wheels are high enough to stand next to it and put them on. We pull ours an eighth of a mile up a dirt road to get out of our property, so I just hop out and check them at the top of the drive. They almost never need adjusting then, but it's easy to check there. Then I just pull on them when we stop the first time for a break. We're both elderly, so that happens within 100 miles in the morning. Sometimes I can get another click on one of the straps then.

The closest I come to having to get on the ground is to put the pin back in to keep the bed from tilting back. I throw a pad down and get on one knee to reach it under the front of the car.

X2 on the Mastertow 80" dolly. Easy to load, strap, etc. I've towed 3 vehicles over40,000 miles with this dolly and I would replace it with another one if needed. Just my $.02.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #5

The straps are knee high on my Stehl Tow dolly. No kneeling.

I run vinyl coated cables thru the wheel slots as a secondary safety. Again, they are knee high and I don't kneel or crawl under.

If both straps break, the cables will hold it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the big deterrents to Tow Dollies is that you have to find a place to stow it when not in use, at home and at the Camp Ground. Also there are some highways that will not allow you to use one while on it. I believe the NJP states that you cannot have a car in tow on a dolly Thus if you are going that way you either take another route or have your navigator drive the Toad and you travel with an empty dolly.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:46 AM   #7

Stowage is not much of a problem, it goes in back of the MH with the tongue underneath.

There are sections of the Garden State Parkway in NJ where you can't have a towed. You also cannot have a Motorhome. The issue is bridge clearance. Same problem in NY. In essence you may not be a commercial vehicle but you are wise to pay attention to using the truck routes in the NE to make sure you have the clearance needed.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Stowage is not much of a problem, it goes in back of the MH with the tongue underneath.

There are sections of the Garden State Parkway in NJ where you can't have a towed. You also cannot have a Motorhome. The issue is bridge clearance. Same problem in NY. In essence you may not be a commercial vehicle but you are wise to pay attention to using the truck routes in the NE to make sure you have the clearance needed.
Being a NJ resident for 6 years, I've not found any part of the Garden State Parkway that restricts dollys or RVs. The tolls are lower then the NJ Turnpike and I have been up and down its full length a few times.

There are a few underpasses, in the northern section, that have well marked low clearances, along the shoulder and extreme right lane but no clearance issues in the center travel lanes. There are 4 or 5 travel lanes in that stretch.

The dolly restriction is long gone. It had to do with the surge brake /DOT issue.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote