Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
Will 1500 lb Weight Savings for Toad Make a Significant Difference?

We just bought a 2015 Thor Outlaw 29H. It's a toy hauler that we've converted the garage to a bedroom (with a nice deck off the back

We're downsizing from a 39' diesel. We love the size of this rig, the drivability, access to smaller campsites, lower height, less maintenance, etc. We're happy campers with the purchase so far (pun intended).

However, one downside that we knew to expect was a downgrade in the towing department. We currently tow a 2003 Land Rover Discovery. Weight is around 4,700 lb. With this toad, the sway of the motorhome is pretty noticeable. I feel like I'm fighting quite a bit to keep us headed straight down the road on the E-450 chassis. The toad seems to push the tail of the motorhome pretty hard with wind gusts. Would downsizing to a smaller toad somewhere in the 3,300 lb territory result in a significantly improved towing experience? I'm thinking Jeep TJ or the new Renegade (if it actually ends up being flat towable). Am I kidding myself and just need to suck it and be a better driver?

Thanks for your input!

2015 Thor Outlaw 29H Class C Toyhauler
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU Toad
Bryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
I have never pulled a toad (boats -yes) but I'll jump in anyway.
That Land Rover I assume is at the upper limits of what your motor home is rated to tow by Thor. It should be doable but might require some mods like a trac bar or more. Pulling less weight would probably help the situation although it would probably be cheaper and wiser to do what ever mods are required to fix the problem you are having. Others with more experience/knowledge will respond shortly, I imagine.

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you driven it without the toad to see how it handles? You might need to do some of the handling fixes that are mentioned on this forum first. Like rear track bar, beefier sway bars, front end alignment or a good set of after market shocks.
'11 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31M
Jarhead_Rider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
Mich - thanks for the advice. I will definitely explore handling improvement options.

Keith - yes, I've driven the MH without the toad, and handling is much better. Granted I've only driven a few hundred miles with the toad, and a few hundred without the toad, so I'm sure my overall comfort level will increase with more seat time. I was just a little surprised by the amount of sway (tail wagging) I experienced with the toad. I live in AZ, so lots of mountainous driving with intermittent strong wind gusts. But even in good conditions, the toad seemed to generate a lot of wagging action.

So I'm wondering if weight is a major factor (i.e. would decreasing from around 4700 lb to 3300 lb really help that much), or if I'm better off focusing on handling improvements (scale weigh, proper tire pressure, alignment, rear track bar, bigger front and rear sway bars, and perhaps better shocks).

I appreciate the continued input.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #5
Well, congrats on the "downsizing". I maybe see us doing the same thing someday. But, I noticed you said "Jeep TJ" maybe in the possible toad lineup. Well, unless that's a stripped TJ, as in doors off, no top or, canvas top, most folks don't know that about 99.9% of the Jeeps out there tip the scales at or over, 4,000 lbs. depending on just how their equipped. We've owned and towed, 7 different model jeeps so, we've got a bit of experience with them. Good luck.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Good point Scott. Jeep listed curb weights for the TJ range from just over 3,000 lb up to 3,700 lb or so. The rubicon would be the heaviest since it has D44's front and rear (not sure if it's tcase is heavier?). But in any case, even a non-rubicon with hard top and doors probably pushes over 3500 lb in stock form.

That being said, my Land Rover is probably a bit heavier than its listed weight as well....so hopefully the difference between the two is still in the 1100 - 1400 lb range.

Who knows, if the weight difference isn't significant enough to really improve handling, maybe I'm better off with the MH suspension improvemens as previously described. I'll probably be replacing the Land Rover no matter what, so the cost of that change will occur no matter what direction I go.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
We have downsized from a 43' diesel pusher to a 32' gas class C. I also downsized our tow vehicle from a GMC Acadia (~5,000lbs) to a 2012 Honda CRV (~3500 lbs). Just got it set up for towing so no real world experience yet, but I know the Acadia would have pushed us well over the CGWR.

I also added a Blue OX Tiger Trac to the MH specifically to help tame some of the rear end sway. It has been a good addition. I hope it helps with the towing, also.

Bob & Katie Cook

Estero, FL
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote

toad, weight