Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
epj

Will my 2002 F53 chassis tow a H3 Hummer?

The title says most of it. We have a 36' gas HR Endeavor, with the Triton V10. I think it is old enough that it only has the two valve cylinder heads. That said, it seems to have lots of power, climbing the hills we have in the southeast with relative ease. We don't have any sort of toad yet. We have a 2007 H3 Hummer that can be towed 4 down. I have a little Nissan Versa that only weighs 2400 lb. or so, but it's an automatic transmission model and would require a pump system that is pretty pricey. The obvious answer is a tow dolly, but I really don't want to use one unless absolutely necessary. Other option is to sell some of our "spare" vehicles and buy something small with a manual transmission that can be towed. Selling the Hummer is not an option. My wife inherited it from her father. It only has about 25K miles, and she'll probably keep it forever.
BTW, I'm guessing the H3 weighs about 6000lb.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Published curb weight on your H3 hummer is ~4800 lbs. Add wet, stuff, Etc. and I think you will be closer to 5000 lbs than 6000 lbs. Check your towing specs as you will be right at the max methinks.

We have drug our jeep which tips the scale at ~5000 with our 2002 PA with Ford chassis / V10 (2 valve) all over the western U.S. It gets the job done. Not a rocket ship going up the steepest grades but it gets you there. On lesser terrain it will handily do highway speed without any issue.

I do recommend the Five Star program to improve the Ford shift pattern. Makes for a much better driving experience.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
epj

Sounds like it may be doable then. My RV guru seems to think it would be ok. We rarely encounter any really steep grades. Worst case, we could always unhook the toad for a few miles to get over a hill, but doubt that would be necessary. How badly does it affect your fuel consumption?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
Sounds like it may be doable then. My RV guru seems to think it would be ok. We rarely encounter any really steep grades. Worst case, we could always unhook the toad for a few miles to get over a hill, but doubt that would be necessary. How badly does it affect your fuel consumption?
We get six dot something most all the time. Low sixes towing, high sixes not towing. Usually when on the freeway the cruise set at 62 mph.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
epj-

I downloaded a manual for your 2002 from Monaco. It says your coach's hitch rating and its towing capacity (GCWR - GVWR) is 5,000 pounds. You should confirm this (been known to be incorrect, more than once) by looking at your manual and coach weight label.

Weigh your loaded Hummer. If it's over 5,000 pounds, you will have to decide for yourself if you want to exceed the coach manufacturer's ratings.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #6

While the H3 looks impressive, it has a lot of plastic in it and it probably doesn't weigh as much as you think. I would weigh the Hummer with a full tank of gas and see what it comes in at.

The tow capacity of the MH is related to the chassis and the brakes. Just because you can accelerate adequately, you still need to stop.

Don't forget that the Hummer will need auxiliary brakes when being towed.

Tags
chassis, f53, tow