Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #43

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My buddy pulls a jeep, and has the same SMI brake system I do!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
My buddy pulls a jeep, and has the same SMI brake system I do!
I looked at the link I kinda liked the one that you could take car to car....I will amit I know nothing about toad brakes

I used to tow my 70 k5 blaer... took it to a shop that did tow bars and did the lights.. guy asked what I was towing with, I told him and that was that , he never said anything about brake buddy...back in the day there was no such a thing and I tow'd without..

thanks again for your use full post as a lot here read this stuff and it provides options and true facts...I never knew it was the law....

Old 06-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #45

so this is the facts I think I got from this thread.... It doesn't matter what you tow with... if the weight you are towing is over(different in every state)
you have to by law have brakes on the towed vec.... correct?

I can tow 3000 lbs in az... but soon as I get to ca,. it drops to 1500lbs,, but if I go to texas it's 5000lbs and mass. it's 10;000
Old 06-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
...and Ill tell you...I have been looking since we got the jeep... not one motorhome pulling a jeep had brakes..

You must not have been anywhere near us. We pulled a Jeep for 10 years all over our region of the country & we used a Brake Buddy. Now we're pulling a CRV with the same unit.

I know of at least 5 other iRV2 members pulling Jeeps using supplemental brake systems.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 06-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Pretty much know no one here si gonna speak up and say they have done it and done it for years...guess I keep on peep'n in the windows till I find some one that has toad brakes
I tow my Wrangler Sport (3200lbs) with a surge brake. My 36' Fleetwood Vision is a 460 gasser with a tag axel giving me an additional 2 brakes on the chasis. I could tow without, but the additional brake is well worth the money for the additional stopping power.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Old 06-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
You must not have been anywhere near us. We pulled a Jeep for 10 years all over our region of the country & we used a Brake Buddy. Now we're pulling a CRV with the same unit.

I know of at least 5 other iRV2 members pulling Jeeps using supplemental brake systems.

Lori-
you'd really be surprised at the amount of people out there that have no brake controllers for their cargo trailers..pulling with pickups... like I said , the reason for the thread was I wanted to clarify the fact that even though you are still under GVWR... you still have to have brakes...and again never heard before that there was such a law..

and thanks again to those that took the time to clarify and give sudjestions on different brake set ups... there are other that read this and can learn from it..I know I did... and I really hope that is the reason for this forum..lots of good advise and info here
Old 06-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
I tow my Wrangler Sport (3200lbs) with a surge brake. My 36' Fleetwood Vision is a 460 gasser with a tag axel giving me an additional 2 brakes on the chasis. I could tow without, but the additional brake is well worth the money for the additional stopping power.
is it the surge on the tow bar? what brand? any pics
Old 06-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #50

I know for fact that my coach ,34' alpine will pull and stop within the legal distance...but still won't be "LEGAL" in a lot of states..., found that out here

California says 1500 lbs.... is there a car that only weighs 1500 lbs???
surely they must mean small trailer??
Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #51

Quote:
Pretty much know no one here si gonna speak up and say they have done it and done it for years...guess I keep on peep'n in the windows till I find some one that has toad brakes
How would you tell? My SMI setup as many others is not visable through the window. Bottom line can you go without brakes - yes. Is it legal? Not in most states.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
How would you tell? My SMI setup as many others is not visable through the window. Bottom line can you go without brakes - yes. Is it legal? Not in most states.
when I worked at my shop I used to do a lot of motorhomes and most would have toads..lots of them used dollys.. and most .. no brakes...I've been asking around because almost everybody I know has a heep that they tow... some on trailers..some 4 wheels down...I always go over and look at gas stations and rest stops..you'd really be surprised that the amount with no brake controller..

when I bought my HHR , I towed it back to vegas with my 1 ton van... very very cautious... not just because no brakes.. but because of the fact how light the van was...and like I said before..I thought that beings the MH weighed 26k and with the toad still under the 33k gvwr... it was ok...
Old 06-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #53

Towing

We just bought a 2015 jeep wrangler to tow behind our 36LA. The sales men said we really didn't need the extra brakes. But my DW said spend the money she wants to be safe. Last year we over Big Horn pulling a dual axle trailer with a 1500lb. motorcycle. Twenty eight miles up and twenty eight miles down a windy road had trailer brakes but didn't do a lot of good had to pull over to let brakes cool down will not be in that spot once more.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz427 View Post
We just bought a 2015 jeep wrangler to tow behind our 36LA. The sales men said we really didn't need the extra brakes. But my DW said spend the money she wants to be safe. Last year we over Big Horn pulling a dual axle trailer with a 1500lb. motorcycle. Twenty eight miles up and twenty eight miles down a windy road had trailer brakes but didn't do a lot of good had to pull over to let brakes cool down will not be in that spot once more.
is the 36la a pusher?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #55

Quote:
it's pretty simple question... do you NEED brakes on the toad if you are under
your gcwr.'ing.....people don't have to be nasty..

You're right it is a pretty simple question, and I don't think people are trying to be nasty, just maybe frustrated that you challenge each bit of advice they give you. The bottom line is what you tow with has nothing to do with the law. Even though your tow vehicle is way more than capable to tow a vehicle, whether or not you need a braking system on your Toad is based on the weight of your Toad, and not the fact that you have a MH with the extra weight capacity and power. The weight requirements vary from state to state so the best advice would be to have a braking system for your Toad. That way you will be legal no matter where you go and in the unfortunate event that you get in an accident, you will not be held criminally or civilly responsible for violating that states laws. Just because you have seen others do it without a braking system does not mean it's the right thing to do.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #56

I won't get into the legal/moral discussion on aux brakes or not.

That said, we've been pulling our '98 TJ for thirteen years with our Alpine. The first couple of years with no aux brakes until I felt the Jeep 'pushing' the MH on a winding mountain road.

I then bought a surge type tow bar system that tapped into the Jeeps brake lines. That worked OK but when I upgraded the axles and brakes I opted to not tap into the Jeeps brake system again and went with the US Gear Unified Tow Brake. Works very well.

With the winch, 35" tires, heavy steel bumpers and body armor, we probably weigh as much as the JKU...

Closed Thread