Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone used a tow car windshild cover that protects the windshield when towing?

2004 Pace Arrow 37C/W-22
2009 Malibu
Cincinnati, Ohio/Surprice,AZ
Paul and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
We have towed either a Jeep or my p/u for over 80K miles for the past 7 years and have never had any damage to the toads. We never used any other protection beyond the standard mud-flats.

Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
We have towed several cars 85,000 and never had a windshield ding on a towed.
Downsized Winnebago C, 24 V /08 Saturn Vue/2014 Town and Country Van/03 Goldwing (Big Red)Recently triked Roadsmith kit
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Paul and Sue: Yup. We've towed a Honda Element behind our motorhome since we started fulltime RV'ing in 2005. Never did cover the toad's windshield until our trip to Alaska in the summer of 07, when we got a few chips in the toad windshield from pebbles thrown up by the long mudflap hanging down at the back of our rig. We learned from folks up there that those long mudflaps tend to occasionally drag when traveling over gravel stretches and they spray rocks on your toad. So the windshield cover up there was a good thing to have. Since we've return here to the lower 48 I don't think we've used it once. Hope this helps. Steve & Lynette
2014 Newmar 3103 BAYSTAR/Triton V10 w. Banks/05 Honda Element toad
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We used one when touring Alaska in the summer of 2002. At first we just had a front bra, but changed to a full cover (bra, hood and windshield) after getting a stone chip in the toad windshield.

Have not used one since, though, and we tow about 10-14k miles every year.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should have wrote the question better, sorry. I was looking for people that have used the Windshield only protector, like the ones Camco make. See I have bad luck because in the 10+ years I have been towing, I had to replace 2 windshields and all have got stars and dings in the windshield. I just got a new Malibu and don't want to mess up the windshield.
2004 Pace Arrow 37C/W-22
2009 Malibu
Cincinnati, Ohio/Surprice,AZ
Paul and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Paul & Sue, HI....I have used a frontend/windsheld protector for 4 years. Its custom made to fit the car/truck and fits the car like a glove. I have have a link to visit the place that supplies this product: http://www.coastlinecover.com/tow.htm

Would not tow without it. Give this product a look see. An good luck!
Steve & Leslie
Winnebago 2007 Adventurer 38T
Honda 2010 CR-V "Toad"
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
We also us the Coastline bra and windshield protector. It was a pain the first couple of times to put on but once it got streched out it goes on easy.
Linda, Robin & Buddee(Cavalier)
09 Fleetwood Fiesta 29', 08 Vue Demco/UBS
Not a Clue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:43 AM   #9
we use the coastline cover on our VW Eos and no dings from towing. We do get some when driving from other cars and trucks.
2002 40ft. Holiday Rambler Imperial
2008 VW Eos Toad
2007 Parti-Poodle Kylie ( all 10 lbs of him)
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a Roadmaster tow system, the "Tow Defender" is the best thing going. It keeps almost everything off the Toad. Never a ding ----even on the paint----in 2 years of use
2012 Itasca Meridian 42E, Roadmaster Tow System, Unified Brakes on Toad
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. US Army Armor. Ret
Finhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
In 2005, we bought a Coastline Cover in preparation for our first year of full timing and a trip to Alaska. We had several problems. First, while driving, air got up and under the material and allowed it flap while we drove. By the time we returned to the lower 48, we had paint damage. Second, the windshield cover in our model was fastened via straps that fit through the closed A-pillar and connected together inside above the dash. Water seeped in on both sides. Third, when used during rains, road grit and water coated the soft underside material at the bottom of the covering. This was difficult to dry and clean. It needed to be cleaned completely before reinstalling. We had additional grommets installed and used bungees to secure it better. That did little to help. We still use our Coastline, but only to cover our bicycles. The included bag is used to cover our receiver. The front end of our present toad is protected by a clear 3M film.
2000 Foretravel U270 NONslide, 2008 Scion xB 5 speed
Brake Buddy
YNBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
Yes we have a tow car shield by Coastline products. We had it for our 2002 Saturn for 7 years and loved it. No chips or anything in those years. We ordered a new one for our Honda CRV. Only needs to be washed in a commercial machine occasionaly (they recommend once a year) to remove road grit.

2017 DYNAMAX ISATA 3, 24'6"
Chappie is offline   Reply With Quote