Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This is serious ( O well)

I had a best friend killed when the operator failed to hook safty chains and the hitch broke free of the frame. The tow hitch and trailer came across the center line an struck the his Class c motorhome head on in the driver side.
I am sorry for the loss of your friend. In cases like these, there no winners, only losers, as both families are affected.

However, This part of your post above confuses me.

If the hitch broke free from the frame as stated, then safety chains, even if they were the size of the anchor chains on the Queen Mary, wouldn't have changed the outcome. This is because safety chains aren't connected to the frame of the tow vehicle. They connect to the receiver just ahead of the hitch pin.

The receiver is connected to the frame and according to your post was torn off in the accident. However if it was just the head, the part with the hitch ball came off, then the use, or non use of saftey becomes an issue.

KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is my understanding that the hitch was Not of commercial mfg . I agree the safety chains typically attached to the hitch frame so if you loose the frame to Hitch connection all is lost.

I checked my hitch (5000 # ) on my W22. It is attach by 6 bolts in 2 of the 3 planes of the C section frame extension ,everthing was tight. On my W22, it appears the frame extension is about 24 inch long and is a larger C section nested and welded to the orginal frame rails.

I found a attachment point for the rip cord that applies the brakes on the toad that is not on C section frame extension.

2009 Safari Simba 34SBD, WH W22 GM 8.1L 6k Sterling tow bar, US Gear Unified Tow brake,98 Blazer 4wd, Remco Prop shaft, Alaska Tested
gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know have a chain wrapped around my receiver and tying it back to another frame member, so it can't leave the coach completely if the bolts fail. It's not fool proof, but it gives me one more chance to hold things together if something goes wrong.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CrankArm thanks for taking the time out to scan in the reference for this restriction in your owner’s manual. I did check my Suncruiser 2006 Operator Manual. The manuals are a little different I do not have a Section 12. I found mine in Section 3 Driving Your Motor Home page 3-15 titled Car or Trailer Towing. For all the 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T on a Workhorse W24 chassis owners reading this don’t worry we do not have this restriction. It looks to be a Ford chassis restriction on later models.
I still think a way to fix the problem is to change the receiver bar. I would recommend contacting a truck service center that is familiar with the Ford chassis and explain the problem. Maybe even find one that specializes in frame bending. These folks are use to working under big rigs. They are good at welding and will know what your frame can and can’t handle. You will probably have to do the research on finding a suitable hitch to make it all work. You may even want to go back to the dealer where you purchased the Motorhome and see what they can do. If they are the same ones who sold you the tow dolly and Motorhome, you need to talk with a senior manager.

2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote