Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #1

Smile Wireless light bar vs. wireless independent lights

I have a Honda 2005 CRV and want to know if a 22" wireless light bar is better/worse than wireless right/left lights? Are any of these wireless products state legal? Didn't know if I needed 3rd brake light or if the lights need to be spaced at a certain distance. Before you ask, the reason for wireless lights is because the Mrs. doesn't want wires. End of debate. Thanks for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

Although I can't cite the source for what I'm about to say right now, I was told that when towing a car 4-down that only three things are required pertaining to lighting (unlike a normal trailer) and those are 1) tail light function, 2) brake light function, and 3) turn signal/4-way flasher indication are all that are required when towing 4-down.

Exempt functions are the third brake light, license plate illumination, and side marker lamps. Since I use the Unified Tow Brake, my toad battery is being charged so at night, I keep my parking lights on so I have side markers and license plate illumination when I'm in motion but from what I've heard, they are not necessary. This is baffling, however, since I would think both would be required as side marker lights and license plate illumination I believe are required for any other trailer.

So with that said, both a light bar or separate left/right lights should be legal as I've seen them used on toads all over the country.

Light bars from what I remember are quite expensive, however. Here's a company that features wireless light bars and they are all over $400:

TowMate.com - Light duty wireless tow lights

A magnetic left/right wireless setup is about $170:

Wireless Tow Lights

I think you'll be okay with either one but I'll let the more knowledgeable chime in so you'll be sure.

-harry

edit: I missed that you said 22" light bar ...that may not be enough spacing. I'm thinking the 48" ones would be the one that you'd need or at least 31"

Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #3

Thank you for the information. I appreciate you for all the details. Maybe the price of the lights will change the Mrs. attitude. Just told her that. It didn't change it. Still wants wireless. Thanks again. Chris
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmanzz View Post
Thank you for the information. I appreciate you for all the details. Maybe the price of the lights will change the Mrs. attitude. Just told her that. It didn't change it. Still wants wireless. Thanks again. Chris
I think a good compromise would be those separate wireless tow lights at about $170. They're wireless and LED. I may even try those on my next toad.

-harry
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

I'm leaning that way myself. I heard some manufacturers are cheap. Hopefully can find a quality product. Thanks, Chris
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #6

Chris, if you want to take a look at this video clip from the Speed TV show, it explains a bit on those lights I linked in that post above:

Wireless Tow Lights as Seen on Speed TV - YouTube

-harry
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #7

Thanks, I talked with this company and they are back ordered until mid-March. Thanks, Chris
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have used the light bar on three toads. Battery died two years ago. Tow Mate shipped new one at no cost. With bad battery i plugged in charger in back of car and had lights
Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #9

Does it matter what size the light bar has to be on the toad. What size light bar were you running. So you prefer the light bar over the separate left right individual units the you can buy. I can buy a 22 inch light bar for about 75 dollars more than the individual units would you consider that a good deal. Thanks for all your help I certainly appreciate it. Chris
Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

I am really interested in running wireless tow lights on a new Jeep Wrangler toad. There is no darn metal to stick them to on the back of the Jeep. Been toying with the idea of two metal plates strapped with webbing to the back bumper. Anyone else have any ideas?

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Wireless tow lights

Gentlemen and Ladies
I have a set of the lights showen in Amandas video and the lights each require 4 ea AA batteries, I found after buying batteries it was an advantage to purchase 16 rechargeable batteries and 2 ea chargers to keep batteries charged and switched batts each morning of the trip. This assured fresh batts each A.M. and I was sure I have lights for the day.
Cheap AA batts were a problem with anything more than an 8 hour run.
Also tape or ty wrap the sending unit to the mount area, the magnet may not hold the sending unit in place and there isn't a way to buy a replacement sender. It will drag on the highway and self destroy.
Ask me how I know. Another $150.00.Gone.
I also use a piece of felt between the magnet on the light and trunk lid. I like the lights very much and would reccomend them.
lyledavid 2004 Dodge intrepid and tow dolly by Demco Fleetwood Rev.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Chris, i have the 21 inch bar with suction cups. I tow a 2012 Wrangler and occasionally my wife's Lincoln. I use a strap to the rear wiper on both. Have never had the bar come loose, but it could happen.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Avid, get the wireless bar with suction cups. Mine works great.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivykrewe View Post
Avid, get the wireless bar with suction cups. Mine works great.
Gene,

Is that a TowMate product? Where do you stick it to? Is there enough room under the spare tire? Thanks for helping me out.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights